By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Games that should be ported onto the wii ware

No games should be ported on wiiware (I know the OP made a mistake mixing it up with VC) because it should be purely for unknown developers and younger inexperienced nintendo internal teams to show case their talent on a limited budget.

As for VC, I would love to see Chrono Trigger.

Around the Network
Onyxmeth said:
Garcian Smith said:
Onyxmeth said:

No he was right the first time. The Virtual Console doesn't offer anything new that can't be found in the game's original cartridge so it only benefits those that don't own the original. You'll get nothing of any value with the VC...

Actually, the N64 games are upscaled to 480p due to the way the emulator works, so they actually look better than normal N64 carts. In addition, if you use component-out, every emulated game has less of the blur predominant in the composite and RF connections of yore, sharper colors, and better contrast.

And besides that, having a little white rectangle sitting on your shelf is far more convenient, far less obtrusive and cumbersome, and probably much cheaper than having an NES, SNES, N64, Genesis, Master System, and Turbo Duo (and C64 for you blokes in Europe), and having to switch between them.

1. I meant something new in the game itself. Having an N64 game upscale to 480p is sorta irrelevent when the games all look like ass regardless.

2. You're basically arguing that people would prefer digital distribution to physical media. We've had this argument before in these forums and most agree they would rather have the actual game in hand instead of a little white window in their console regardless of how many consoles it takes to make it happen.

I find a lot of N64 games attractive. While the realistic ones - like, say, Goldeneye - haven't aged well in the graphics department, the "cartoony" games like Banjo, Mario, and Zelda still look pretty good today, especially upscaled. And, as I said, seeing those games through a crisp component connection sure beats the blurry-as-hell picture from an RF switch.

As for the second point, you're comparing apples to oranges. When people talk about "digital distribution," they're usually discussing full ($50-$60) games. The general consensus, as far as I know, is that digital distribution of those titles offers little tangible benefit over the physical media, and actually carries several drawbacks (not being able to buy or resell used; takes up tons of hard drive space; takes too long to download with current connections the way they are.)

Smaller titles, like those on the VC, have none of those problems. If you don't like the game you download, you're only out $5-$10, rather than $50-$60. They don't take up much HD space (it says something that a paltry 512mb is enough for the majority of Wii owners). They take only a few minutes to download, at most. And on top of that, they offer tons of tangible benefits over cartridges: you don't need to own multiple systems; you don't need to switch between multiple systems; you don't need to deal with old, outdated hardware; you don't need to find a place to store a ton of bulky cartridges; you don't need to swap cartridges; you can own one set of peripherals (i.e. controllers) to play all of the systems; you don't need to own an entire classic system just to play one or two games; and, on top of all that, most VC purchases are actually cheaper than you could otherwise find the games on the secondary market. And, as I said, thanks to modern connections, all of the games look better. 

"'Casual games' are something the 'Game Industry' invented to explain away the Wii success instead of actually listening or looking at what Nintendo did. There is no 'casual strategy' from Nintendo. 'Accessible strategy', yes, but ‘casual gamers’ is just the 'Game Industry''s polite way of saying what they feel: 'retarded gamers'."

-Sean Malstrom

International SuperStar Soccer '98

The best football game to date.

http://www.vgchartz.com/games/userreviewdisp.php?id=261

That is VGChartz LONGEST review. And it's NOT Cute Kitten DS

wiiware:
-exception
-eternal fighter 0
-ether vapor
-sispri gauntlet
-suguri
-acceleration of suguri
-eXceed2nd-VAMPIRE REX-
-battles moon war
-blood over

wii dvd:
-melty blood

sorry my english is baaadd

I doubt No Mercy can come to the Wii anymore. WWE has too many licensing things going on an half the characters in the game would sue for copyright infringement.

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."

Around the Network
Garcian Smith said:

I find a lot of N64 games attractive. While the realistic ones - like, say, Goldeneye - haven't aged well in the graphics department, the "cartoony" games like Banjo, Mario, and Zelda still look pretty good today, especially upscaled. And, as I said, seeing those games through a crisp component connection sure beats the blurry-as-hell picture from an RF switch.

As for the second point, you're comparing apples to oranges. When people talk about "digital distribution," they're usually discussing full ($50-$60) games. The general consensus, as far as I know, is that digital distribution of those titles offers little tangible benefit over the physical media, and actually carries several drawbacks (not being able to buy or resell used; takes up tons of hard drive space; takes too long to download with current connections the way they are.)

Smaller titles, like those on the VC, have none of those problems. If you don't like the game you download, you're only out $5-$10, rather than $50-$60. They don't take up much HD space (it says something that a paltry 512mb is enough for the majority of Wii owners). They take only a few minutes to download, at most. And on top of that, they offer tons of tangible benefits over cartridges: you don't need to own multiple systems; you don't need to switch between multiple systems; you don't need to deal with old, outdated hardware; you don't need to find a place to store a ton of bulky cartridges; you don't need to swap cartridges; you can own one set of peripherals (i.e. controllers) to play all of the systems; you don't need to own an entire classic system just to play one or two games; and, on top of all that, most VC purchases are actually cheaper than you could otherwise find the games on the secondary market. And, as I said, thanks to modern connections, all of the games look better. 

The same points apply to VC games. They too cannot be resold or bought an a used market. While cartridges may feel bulky to some, others enjoy the freedom of being able to travel to a friend's house with a game rather than a console.

Owning the consoles themselves also gives you the ability to tap into the entirety of the gaming line-up. The Virtual Console is passable at best in regards to giving people the games they really want to play when utter garbage gets put through the pipeline on a weekly basis. You may have to actually own an N64 to play Ogre Battle 64 and an SNES to play Chrono Trigger, but that is a worthwhile price to pay to actually be able to play these games. That brings me to the better option.

If the VC isn't going to offer anything over the same experience as the cartridge, where is the benefit of buying games that have been available as emulations on the PC for years? You save space, money, and in the case of Japanese games, the possibility of a translation to a gem from yesturyear. You also benefit from having almost the entire library of games to choose through. Not to mention that certain games have been given the benefit of a rough attempt at online multiplayer. We all own PCs capable of these emulators, so no enhancements necessary. Not to mention these are games that were already off the market for over a decade, so no need for the guilty feeling of pirating.

All I was saying was that games with multiplayer should include online when they are added back into Nintendo's Shop Channel and should be set by Nintendo as mandatory. Microsoft does it, and I believe Sony does to an extent. Why pay a VC price of $8 for Street Fighter II Turbo when you can get Street Fighter II Hyper Fighting on XBLA for $10 with online play? Or why couldn't there have been a bit more effort and pushing to get the same for Wii owners?

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.

Onyxmeth said:

No he was right the first time. The Virtual Console doesn't offer anything new that can't be found in the game's original cartridge so it only benefits those that don't own the original. You'll get nothing of any value with the VC, but here's what can be offered on Wii-Ware:

This is not necessarily true. They added some online functionality to Pokemon Snap, if you recall, although to be fair I think that's the only Virtual Console game that's received any upgrade so far. With WiiWare's launch, it may also be the only one that ever does. I hope not, but I'm pretty sure that's going to be the case.

Oh, and I want Magic of Scheherazarde, Ogre Battle, Ogre Battle 64, Tactics Ogre, and Secret of Mana 2. Sadly, none of these will ever happen...

resident evil 2

best RE ever

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night.

I don't care how, just make it happen. 360 got it somehow.  

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

noname2200 said:
Onyxmeth said:

No he was right the first time. The Virtual Console doesn't offer anything new that can't be found in the game's original cartridge so it only benefits those that don't own the original. You'll get nothing of any value with the VC, but here's what can be offered on Wii-Ware:

This is not necessarily true. They added some online functionality to Pokemon Snap, if you recall, although to be fair I think that's the only Virtual Console game that's received any upgrade so far. With WiiWare's launch, it may also be the only one that ever does. I hope not, but I'm pretty sure that's going to be the case.

Oh, and I want Magic of Scheherazarde, Ogre Battle, Ogre Battle 64, Tactics Ogre, and Secret of Mana 2. Sadly, none of these will ever happen...

Then on the flip side, every N64 game lost rumble, so there are in game disadvantages in many titles out and to come.

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.