By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Top 5 Worst JRPG Character Names

I somehow knew that Butz would be #1 here.

Around the Network
zexen_lowe said:
Riachu said:
zexen_lowe said:
I've alwatys thought that Cait Sith was a great name, the character itself is quite questionable, but the name is great, at least it's different to the dozens of Lennas, Waynes, Vincents and Jacks. And Fayt Leingod was also a good name, but the worst part is that 1UP directly spoils the biggest (and best) moment of Star Ocean 3. And how exactly is an amazing game like SO3 a "sloppy, overblown mess"?
The other three places can't be argued, though

1up were the ones that said that the story was good in SO3 but the battle system sucked so I am not that suprised that said it was sloppy and overblown. The game was good and all but I have played better JRPGs.

Fayt wasn't a bad name per se, it was just very....weird

I don't know, usually I play JRPGs mostly for the story, I do enjoy the battles and everything of course, but I mostly see them as a way to get stronger to face the boss. In SO3, on the other hand, I fighted just because fighting was fun, in the beginng, in the ruins of Coffir, I spent like an hour from random battle to random battle because i was pure fun. Star Ocean had an amazing battle system. I can agree that there was a problem with the collision detection, the fact that you couldn't hit downed enemies was another one, and sometimes, mostly in bosses, and due to the fact that it was in real time, it could be difficult to control the flow of battle. But, other than that, it was excellent.

I also have played better JRPGs, I'm not naming SO3 the best game ever or anything like that, I'm just saying that calling SO3 a "sloppy, overblown mess" is a bit of an insult to an excellent game

They didn't hate the game, they just hated the battle system

I've found the game with most original names to be Suikoden V. Some of these can sound very awkward (and be difficult to remember), but at least they break the cliché. For example:
Arshtat
Lymsleia
Gizel
Cathari
Alhazred
Nifsara
Yahr
Sharmista
Byakuren
and this are just examples

zexen_lowe said:
I've found the game with most original names to be Suikoden V. Some of these can sound very awkward (and be difficult to remember), but at least they break the cliché. For example:
Arshtat
Lymsleia
Gizel
Cathari
Alhazred
Nifsara
Yahr
Sharmista
Byakuren

Wow. It sounds like developers used the "several monkeys banging on a typewriter" method of name generation.

"'Casual games' are something the 'Game Industry' invented to explain away the Wii success instead of actually listening or looking at what Nintendo did. There is no 'casual strategy' from Nintendo. 'Accessible strategy', yes, but ‘casual gamers’ is just the 'Game Industry''s polite way of saying what they feel: 'retarded gamers'."

-Sean Malstrom

Riachu said:
zexen_lowe said:
Riachu said:
zexen_lowe said:
I've alwatys thought that Cait Sith was a great name, the character itself is quite questionable, but the name is great, at least it's different to the dozens of Lennas, Waynes, Vincents and Jacks. And Fayt Leingod was also a good name, but the worst part is that 1UP directly spoils the biggest (and best) moment of Star Ocean 3. And how exactly is an amazing game like SO3 a "sloppy, overblown mess"?
The other three places can't be argued, though

1up were the ones that said that the story was good in SO3 but the battle system sucked so I am not that suprised that said it was sloppy and overblown. The game was good and all but I have played better JRPGs.

Fayt wasn't a bad name per se, it was just very....weird

I don't know, usually I play JRPGs mostly for the story, I do enjoy the battles and everything of course, but I mostly see them as a way to get stronger to face the boss. In SO3, on the other hand, I fighted just because fighting was fun, in the beginng, in the ruins of Coffir, I spent like an hour from random battle to random battle because i was pure fun. Star Ocean had an amazing battle system. I can agree that there was a problem with the collision detection, the fact that you couldn't hit downed enemies was another one, and sometimes, mostly in bosses, and due to the fact that it was in real time, it could be difficult to control the flow of battle. But, other than that, it was excellent.

I also have played better JRPGs, I'm not naming SO3 the best game ever or anything like that, I'm just saying that calling SO3 a "sloppy, overblown mess" is a bit of an insult to an excellent game

They didn't hate the game, they just hated the battle system

OK, fair, they hated 50% of the game. And they spoiled the other 50 in that list

Around the Network
Garcian Smith said:
zexen_lowe said:
Arshtat
Lymsleia
Gizel
Cathari
Alhazred
Nifsara
Yahr
Sharmista
Byakuren

Wow. It sounds like developers used the "several monkeys banging on a typewriter" method of name generation.

Indeed. And I just remembered, there's a book in the game that you can read, and it tells of a war that happened some years ago between two sisters that were called Shahrewar and Falzrahm. And they were the daughters of Olhazeta (?). And the name isn't exactly in the game, but in the novel of this game, the main character is called Freyjadour (in the game it has no official name)

DMeisterJ said:
I liked Cloud.

Who am I kidding, I loved cloud.

It's time to come out of the closet.

Where do developers come up with these names? 

lol Butz

im sure they could have found some worse names...

"I like my steaks how i like my women.  Bloody and all over my face"

"Its like sex, but with a winner!"

MrBubbles Review Threads: Bill Gates, Jak II, Kingdom Hearts II, The Strangers, Sly 2, Crackdown, Zohan, Quarantine, Klungo Sssavesss Teh World, MS@E3'08, WATCHMEN(movie), Shadow of the Colossus, The Saboteur