By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Confirmed: Star Ocean: Last Hope 360 exclusive

Not trying to throw a low blow or anything Starcraft....but what would you have done if it turned out to be a PS3 exclusive? Honestly rewind and think about what you would have done.

PSN: Lone_Canis_Lupus

Around the Network
Riachu said:
Pristine20 said:
starcraft said:
Pristine20 said:

Its great for microsoft? Thats debatable. If you speak through economics, M$ may actually be losing money by acquiring all these JRPG exclusives and timed exclusives. LO is the best JRPG this gen hands down, it even gives some FFs a run for their mone. hell, its made by Sakaguchi himself. yet, it hasn't even sold a million copies yet despite the big budget and advertisin thats sad. M$ is lucky that they have the world's richest shareholder behind them because otherwise, they couldn't afford to keep this up.

It is bad for Sony? In the short term and for the impatient probably. However, insulting Sony for not fighting back is blindness to economics because they have to make profits first before buying exclusives that are not guaranteed to provide any boosts whatsoever. Also, timed exclusives especially in a genre like JRPGs are likely to be superior on their second release. Kind of like how FFX was released late in EU and they complained but ended up getting the vastly superior international version. P3:fes vs P3, etc Looks like the PS3 would be getting these extended version this time perhaps for a cheaper price too.

Over 700,000 people have now purchased Lost Odyssey. Shipments would be approaching 1 million. Now make it a well-known franchise from a company like Square Enix thats making its first foray into the next generation and all of a sudden SO4 being profitable in its own right (not including extra console sales Microsoft could get because of it) looks very possible.

Extra console sales? If Halo 3 didn't do it and Gears of War 2 doesn't do it, SO4 won't come close to doing anything so it sounds like a waste of money for a game that would have been multiplat anyway.

SO4 is not developed by S-E. Those familiar with JRPGs would know that there's a huge difference b/w games just published by S-E and games actually developed by S-E. That said, many people would probably buy the game just from reading S-E on the case (I don't know about new systems though) but the well informed would realize that S-E doesn't hold as much weight as Square did in the PSone days. Back then, I couldn't name any of their games that wasn't a classic. In fact, the only PS1 games I still have are all developed by square.

From your posts though, you sound like you have just been disappointed with sony this time aroud so you switched. However, there are many who are too invested in the PS brand to switch (myself included). I find it difficult to even play with a non-dualshock controller lol.

That's because when those games came out.  Shooter fans already had a 360 so I am not seeing your point.

Yes but while shooter fans should be proud to own a 360 (because Halo would be considered the ultimate shooter by most). Patient JRPG fans who are not rich would probably stick with the PS3 because FF would be the ultimate JRPG under the same terms. Also, if you are a true JRPG fan (not just an S-E) fan, chances are ther are tons and tons of PS2 and PS classics that you haven't played even some by S-E itself that weren't as hyped. That alone is more than enough to curb the wait and thats also why I stressed the importance of BC for the Playstation brand.

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

Pristine20 said:
Riachu said:
Pristine20 said:
starcraft said:
eliasg said:
why PS3 fanboys always get mad about 360 exclusive games???
When they bought their system, many of them believed the console would dominate sales and by extension game's libraries like its predecessor did. Now that that hasn't happened, its obviously annoying to have paid so much for a console that, whilst very viable, is far from dominant and is losing many exclusives, particularly in the JRPG genre.

I don't know about that one because all the people I know who bought PS3s including myself did so for reason #1:Backwards compatibility. I've finished Parasite Eve 2 21 times and I still play it every now and then. I wouldn't want a system thats unable to play my old library of classics along with a couple nex-gen releases. There you have it.

Thats also why I can't understand why the PS3 80gb won't stay on store shelves. my cousin's been trying to get one but it is sold out again

Also, since you admit that many people bought the PS3 because of JRPGs, you also have to admit that any JRPG release on both PS3 and 360 would sell better on PS3 hands down. Kind of like how any FPS released on both systems would sell better on 360 even if the console userbases were equal.

You shouldn't sterotype what genre PS3 and 360 owners prefer. Lost Odyssey sold 700K on the 360. Haze would have done better if it wasn't for the fact that the game was a huge disappointment.

I know it isn't just as clear cut as I seem to have stated. however, I have never come across anyone who owns a 360 and doesn't play FPS games period and I live in the US where the 360 dominates hands down. Gamestop employees even seem to get mad at me for requesting PS3 versions as was the case when I bought COD4 and Condemned 2. There are definitely many 360 owners who don't care for FPS games but I can bet money that they are in the minority. Xbox live is sucessful for polishing the online multiplayer FPS experience.

Would you agree that LO is better than dead rising? If you do, can you explain how dead rising could achieve 1.5 mil sold while LO can't even reach a mil?

Dead Rising is in a genre that is more popular than JRPGs

Pristine20 said:
Riachu said:
Pristine20 said:
starcraft said:
Pristine20 said:

Its great for microsoft? Thats debatable. If you speak through economics, M$ may actually be losing money by acquiring all these JRPG exclusives and timed exclusives. LO is the best JRPG this gen hands down, it even gives some FFs a run for their mone. hell, its made by Sakaguchi himself. yet, it hasn't even sold a million copies yet despite the big budget and advertisin thats sad. M$ is lucky that they have the world's richest shareholder behind them because otherwise, they couldn't afford to keep this up.

It is bad for Sony? In the short term and for the impatient probably. However, insulting Sony for not fighting back is blindness to economics because they have to make profits first before buying exclusives that are not guaranteed to provide any boosts whatsoever. Also, timed exclusives especially in a genre like JRPGs are likely to be superior on their second release. Kind of like how FFX was released late in EU and they complained but ended up getting the vastly superior international version. P3:fes vs P3, etc Looks like the PS3 would be getting these extended version this time perhaps for a cheaper price too.

Over 700,000 people have now purchased Lost Odyssey. Shipments would be approaching 1 million. Now make it a well-known franchise from a company like Square Enix thats making its first foray into the next generation and all of a sudden SO4 being profitable in its own right (not including extra console sales Microsoft could get because of it) looks very possible.

Extra console sales? If Halo 3 didn't do it and Gears of War 2 doesn't do it, SO4 won't come close to doing anything so it sounds like a waste of money for a game that would have been multiplat anyway.

SO4 is not developed by S-E. Those familiar with JRPGs would know that there's a huge difference b/w games just published by S-E and games actually developed by S-E. That said, many people would probably buy the game just from reading S-E on the case (I don't know about new systems though) but the well informed would realize that S-E doesn't hold as much weight as Square did in the PSone days. Back then, I couldn't name any of their games that wasn't a classic. In fact, the only PS1 games I still have are all developed by square.

From your posts though, you sound like you have just been disappointed with sony this time aroud so you switched. However, there are many who are too invested in the PS brand to switch (myself included). I find it difficult to even play with a non-dualshock controller lol.

That's because when those games came out.  Shooter fans already had a 360 so I am not seeing your point.

Yes but while shooter fans should be proud to own a 360 (because Halo would be considered the ultimate shooter by most). Patient JRPG fans who are not rich would probably stick with the PS3 because FF would be the ultimate JRPG under the same terms. Also, if you are a true JRPG fan (not just an S-E) fan, chances are ther are tons and tons of PS2 and PS classics that you haven't played even some by S-E itself that weren't as hyped. That alone is more than enough to curb the wait and thats also why I stressed the importance of BC for the Playstation brand.

That's why I'm glad my parents found a 60GB. Most if not all of the JRPGs I've played have been from SE/Tri-Ace...or the people that made Disagea(sp?). I'm wanting to buy a 360 because of this, but honestly, I'm too poor. It's going to be a while before I can afford one...and I'm kind of shooting for the Elite...so yeah.

PSN: Lone_Canis_Lupus

Lone_Canis_Lupus said:
Not trying to throw a low blow or anything Starcraft....but what would you have done if it turned out to be a PS3 exclusive? Honestly rewind and think about what you would have done.

First of all I would have been confused.  As we've been over many times, I genuinely saw little potential for the title to be PS3 exclusive. I believed it would be multiplatform.

Given I so obviously wanted the game on the Xbox 360, and thought it would come, it would have been very hard for me to turn around and say "this is a bad game that won't mean anything."

So too answer your question I think I would have said everything about this game I have today if it had been PS3 exclusive.  Its just instead of saying these things with a feeling of happiness, I would have been very disappointed. 

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

Around the Network
Riachu said:
Pristine20 said:
Riachu said:
Pristine20 said:
starcraft said:
eliasg said:
When they bought their system, many of them believed the console would dominate sales and by extension game's libraries like its predecessor did. Now that that hasn't happened, its obviously annoying to have paid so much for a console that, whilst very viable, is far from dominant and is losing many exclusives, particularly in the JRPG genre.

I don't know about that one because all the people I know who bought PS3s including myself did so for reason #1:Backwards compatibility. I've finished Parasite Eve 2 21 times and I still play it every now and then. I wouldn't want a system thats unable to play my old library of classics along with a couple nex-gen releases. There you have it.

Thats also why I can't understand why the PS3 80gb won't stay on store shelves. my cousin's been trying to get one but it is sold out again

Also, since you admit that many people bought the PS3 because of JRPGs, you also have to admit that any JRPG release on both PS3 and 360 would sell better on PS3 hands down. Kind of like how any FPS released on both systems would sell better on 360 even if the console userbases were equal.

You shouldn't sterotype what genre PS3 and 360 owners prefer. Lost Odyssey sold 700K on the 360. Haze would have done better if it wasn't for the fact that the game was a huge disappointment.

I know it isn't just as clear cut as I seem to have stated. however, I have never come across anyone who owns a 360 and doesn't play FPS games period and I live in the US where the 360 dominates hands down. Gamestop employees even seem to get mad at me for requesting PS3 versions as was the case when I bought COD4 and Condemned 2. There are definitely many 360 owners who don't care for FPS games but I can bet money that they are in the minority. Xbox live is sucessful for polishing the online multiplayer FPS experience.

Would you agree that LO is better than dead rising? If you do, can you explain how dead rising could achieve 1.5 mil sold while LO can't even reach a mil?

Yeah but dead rising sucks wheile LO is an awesome heavily budgeted game! This explains why M$ is wasting its money securing JRPG "exclusives" when more cheap "dead risings" could easily beat SO3's sales on the PS2. Remember, M$ and sony make money on software not hardware.

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

starcraft said:
Lone_Canis_Lupus said:

First of all I would have been confused.  As we've been over many times, I genuinely saw little potential for the title to be PS3 exclusive. I believed it would be multiplatform.

Given I so obviously wanted the game on the Xbox 360, and thought it would come, it would have been very hard for me to turn around and say "this is a bad game that won't mean anything."

So too answer your question I think I would have said everything about this game I have today if it had been PS3 exclusive.  Its just instead of saying these things with a feeling of happiness, I would have been very disappointed. 

Starcraft, I never realized you could be a JRPG fan. I thought you just wanted to support the 360 because it was your console of choice. If you are, you've missed tons of classics in the last two gens. Graphics shouldn't be a problem as JRPGs(except FF) aren't too reliant on graphics as a selling point.

CrazzyMan said:
Anyway, WHAT the point of THIS thread?

NOBODY except x360 owners and fanboys believe that SO4 will stay exclusive for x360.
SO, AGAIN, WHAT the POINT? =))

so, you are calling people fanboys... kind of like a POS calling other people POS's

The point of a thread is to discuss things.

you aren't discussing, so, don't post.

And that's the only thing I need is *this*. I don't need this or this. Just this PS4... And this gaming PC. - The PS4 and the Gaming PC and that's all I need... And this Xbox 360. - The PS4, the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360, and that's all I need... And these PS3's. - The PS4, and these PS3's, and the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360... And this Nintendo DS. - The PS4, this Xbox 360, and the Gaming PC, and the PS3's, and that's all *I* need. And that's *all* I need too. I don't need one other thing, not one... I need this. - The Gaming PC and PS4, and Xbox 360, and thePS3's . Well what are you looking at? What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - And this. That's all I need.

Obligatory dick measuring Gaming Laptop Specs: Sager NP8270-GTX: 17.3" FULL HD (1920X1080) LED Matte LC, nVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M, Intel Core i7-4700MQ, 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3, 750GB SATA II 3GB/s 7,200 RPM Hard Drive

Pristine20 said:
Riachu said:
Pristine20 said:
Riachu said:
Pristine20 said:
starcraft said:
eliasg said:

Yeah but dead rising sucks wheile LO is an awesome heavily budgeted game! This explains why M$ is wasting its money securing JRPG "exclusives" when more cheap "dead risings" could easily beat SO3's sales on the PS2. Remember, M$ and sony make money on software not hardware.

Dead Rising sucking is not the consensus as far as I know.  Tons of people see it as a good sometimes great game, by a trusted developer, with a theme and style that appeals to a lot of people.  Personally, until Mass Effect and MGS4, it was the only exclusive this generation that I thought was somewhat unique or worth a damn.

Pristine20 said:
Riachu said:
Pristine20 said:
Riachu said:

ARE YOU (*^&ING LOOPY? Dead rising was an awesome game.

all you use are you wacky opinions to suggest that xbox gamers like fps's alot.   But then again, is that a bad thing? You are trying to bash a genre, and in consequence, bash a console aren't you? Or do you not even know what you are talking about? Have you tried dead rising? If so, did you notice that it also had as high, or higher production values? Alot of questions have been quite unanswered...

And that's the only thing I need is *this*. I don't need this or this. Just this PS4... And this gaming PC. - The PS4 and the Gaming PC and that's all I need... And this Xbox 360. - The PS4, the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360, and that's all I need... And these PS3's. - The PS4, and these PS3's, and the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360... And this Nintendo DS. - The PS4, this Xbox 360, and the Gaming PC, and the PS3's, and that's all *I* need. And that's *all* I need too. I don't need one other thing, not one... I need this. - The Gaming PC and PS4, and Xbox 360, and thePS3's . Well what are you looking at? What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - And this. That's all I need.

Obligatory dick measuring Gaming Laptop Specs: Sager NP8270-GTX: 17.3" FULL HD (1920X1080) LED Matte LC, nVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M, Intel Core i7-4700MQ, 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3, 750GB SATA II 3GB/s 7,200 RPM Hard Drive