By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Which Final Fantasy is the most IMPORTANT?

FF1, or we would not have square-enix today, just enix.

And that's the only thing I need is *this*. I don't need this or this. Just this PS4... And this gaming PC. - The PS4 and the Gaming PC and that's all I need... And this Xbox 360. - The PS4, the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360, and that's all I need... And these PS3's. - The PS4, and these PS3's, and the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360... And this Nintendo DS. - The PS4, this Xbox 360, and the Gaming PC, and the PS3's, and that's all *I* need. And that's *all* I need too. I don't need one other thing, not one... I need this. - The Gaming PC and PS4, and Xbox 360, and thePS3's . Well what are you looking at? What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - And this. That's all I need.

Obligatory dick measuring Gaming Laptop Specs: Sager NP8270-GTX: 17.3" FULL HD (1920X1080) LED Matte LC, nVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M, Intel Core i7-4700MQ, 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3, 750GB SATA II 3GB/s 7,200 RPM Hard Drive

Around the Network
CAL4M1TY said:

I intentionally left that out because I figured that most people would have known that one already (particularly because this is a game forum), and like I said in the OP, the question is open ended, so I didn't want to restrict people to just "if it wasn't for game 1, nothing afterward would exist" because then the most important game for every franchise is the first. Each game series could be boiled down to that (big example would be Super Mario Bros, argueably the game that saved an entire industry, but it's importance to the series has diminished some what since it went into 3D), and there is a reason why every FF deserves a mention, so while we could say that FF 1 is the most important because without it square and FF wouldn't exist, let's keep it interesting, because alot of the things in FF1 have been lost with the recent installments (particularly "orbs" being the original "crystals").

Of course everyone is entitled to their opinion, and I'm not going to claim that your view of FF1 being the most important is wrong (don't think anyone should make comments like that about anyones posts), I just figure we should judge both the additions the game had to the series and it's impact on history (and not just one or the other), because FF1 lacks in the former (aside from laying down the foundations of course).

@Khuutra: the phrase "putting it on the map" implies that it made it cool or well known, because up until FF7 Final Fantasy had a mostly cult following (arguable of course, but that seems to be the general consensus).

There's the flaw in your logic.

Square Soft made roughly a dozen games before Final Fantasy 1. Just because it was the first Final Fantasy doesn't mean it was the first Square Soft game (do you see the flaw in your logic?). The problem with the previous titles was that they weren't pulling in enough profit. Final Fantasy 1 was their last hope to regain profitability before folding.

When it comes to importance to Square Soft as a company, Final Fantasy 1 is the final say in "This is where our success began." 

Answering to title:

Obviously VII, there is no other answer.

FF VII without a doubt. It really opened up not only the FF series but the entire JRPG genre to the west.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

Words Of Wisdom said:
CAL4M1TY said:

I intentionally left that out because I figured that most people would have known that one already (particularly because this is a game forum), and like I said in the OP, the question is open ended, so I didn't want to restrict people to just "if it wasn't for game 1, nothing afterward would exist" because then the most important game for every franchise is the first. Each game series could be boiled down to that (big example would be Super Mario Bros, argueably the game that saved an entire industry, but it's importance to the series has diminished some what since it went into 3D), and there is a reason why every FF deserves a mention, so while we could say that FF 1 is the most important because without it square and FF wouldn't exist, let's keep it interesting, because alot of the things in FF1 have been lost with the recent installments (particularly "orbs" being the original "crystals").

Of course everyone is entitled to their opinion, and I'm not going to claim that your view of FF1 being the most important is wrong (don't think anyone should make comments like that about anyones posts), I just figure we should judge both the additions the game had to the series and it's impact on history (and not just one or the other), because FF1 lacks in the former (aside from laying down the foundations of course).

@Khuutra: the phrase "putting it on the map" implies that it made it cool or well known, because up until FF7 Final Fantasy had a mostly cult following (arguable of course, but that seems to be the general consensus).

There's the flaw in your logic.

Square Soft made roughly a dozen games before Final Fantasy 1. Just because it was the first Final Fantasy doesn't mean it was the first Square Soft game (do you see the flaw in your logic?). The problem with the previous titles was that they weren't pulling in enough profit. Final Fantasy 1 was their last hope to regain profitability before folding.

When it comes to importance to Square Soft as a company, Final Fantasy 1 is the final say in "This is where our success began."

It was named Final Fantasy because they expected it to be their last game right?

Around the Network
akuma587 said:
FF VII without a doubt. It really opened up not only the FF series but the entire JRPG genre to the west.

Now that I disagree with.  After FF7 RPG sales not named Final Fantasy stayed the same... and still have stayed the same.

Final Fantasy 1. Without Final Fantasy 1 Square would have went bankrupt and there would be no Square Enix, just Enix. FFVII was important as it showed that if you actually marked a JRPG in the west it could sell. That stated, even if FFVII tanked in the west Square would have still made money off the game, especially since SCEA was the one behind the marketing blitz, and been fine. You can't say the same about Final Fantasy I.

Loathe as I am to admit it, probably VII. There were plenty of us who played the games before that, but VII really opened up the series here in the West.

I'm still baffled by people claiming VII. There is no standard by which VII could be considered more important than I. None at all, especially since the original Final Fantasy did the same to gain mindshare for RPGs in the west, just on a smaller scale.

FF1 saved the company. There can be no argument on the point of importance. You would have to ignore objective reality.

I'm going to say Final Fantasy VII as well, though it's not my favourite, it really did expand the series audience and earned it many new fans.