By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - How good is chrono cross?

Could all of you guys specify more on how the game was good and how it was bad.

Around the Network

Nobody? I really want to know if I should buy it or not, but you guys just made me more confused. half of you say it's bad the other half say it's good.

Ever played Final Fantasy XII?

It's a great game. Quite fun. I put more than 80 hours into it. But it doesn't FUCKING deserve the "Final Fantasy" name. Quite frankly, it pissed me off how much it butchered the series. Final Fantasy X worked hard to give the next systems good Final Fantasies to work off of, then XII came in and blew it all apart. Fuck Final Fantasy XII.
Of course, if it was called "War in Ivalice" or something without the "Final Fantasy" name slapped on it, it would be awesome due to people having lower expectations on it.

That's what people think about Final Fantasy XII and Chrono Cross. Chrono Trigger was a nearly perfect game, only to have it blown apart with Cross. now, Cross wasn't a bad game, AT ALL. In fact, it was beautiful beyond words. But the fact that it contained the "Chrono" name made it so people would expect it to be THAT much better than it already was. It didn't live up to that hype and expectation, so people hated it. Just like Final Fantasy XII.

BUT. I played Chrono Cross when I was 8, and Chrono Trigger when I was 10. So I played Chrono Cross first, and loved it. A lot. That means it's a GREAT game. YES, BUY IT. But don't expect it to be like Trigger, although it'll still be an amazing game. And when I played Trigger 2 years after, I loved it as well. But at that point, because I switched the order of the games, I didn't make any dire comparison of the "Chrono" name between games.

So basically, if you're looking for a game to play, yes, get Chrono Cross. It was really good.
But if you're getting it only to compare it to Chrono Trigger and the Chrono name, don't get it. (I made that mistake with XII, and you see how pissed off I am at it.)

Sony will prevail. My 60 gig says so.

PlayStation 3 Games:

- Rock Band
- Rock Band 2
- Soulcalibur IV
- LittleBigPlanet
- Guitar Hero: World Tour

I loved it. The gameplay is no worse than most JRPGs and maybe better than most, same with the story. The art design is charming, inspired and beautiful, as is the music. The game has the charm and brightness of old school JRPGs like Lunar. Every aspect is crafted with obvious love and care, from the environments, to the music, character and creature design, to the variety of locale and scenarios.

The only negative in my mind is that the adventure is not exactly gripping or intense, but it is epic in it's own way. It has the spirit and feel of a Miyazaki film. -

To me it was the last truly great JRPG.

GiggityNinja said:

It's a great game. Quite fun. I put more than 80 hours into it. But it doesn't FUCKING deserve the "Final Fantasy" name. Quite frankly, it pissed me off how much it butchered the series. Final Fantasy X worked hard to give the next systems good Final Fantasies to work off of, then XII came in and blew it all apart. Fuck Final Fantasy XII.
Of course, if it was called "War in Ivalice" or something without the "Final Fantasy" name slapped on it, it would be awesome due to people having lower expectations on it.

Really?  I think FFXII not only deserved the name, it broke out of the tired conventions of the FF name.  FFX was a lightweight AFAIC.  Not one drop of red-blooded adventure spirit to it.  And shamefully linear and claustrophobic even compared to older FF's, and still using archaic game design elements like random battles.  I really think the game was aimed at teenage girls exclusively.

Around the Network
GiggityNinja said:

That's what people think about Final Fantasy XII and Chrono Cross. Chrono Trigger was a nearly perfect game, only to have it blown apart with Cross. now, Cross wasn't a bad game, AT ALL. In fact, it was beautiful beyond words. But the fact that it contained the "Chrono" name made it so people would expect it to be THAT much better than it already was. It didn't live up to that hype and expectation, so people hated it. Just like Final Fantasy XII.

BUT. I played Chrono Cross when I was 8, and Chrono Trigger when I was 10. So I played Chrono Cross first, and loved it. A lot. That means it's a GREAT game. YES, BUY IT. But don't expect it to be like Trigger, although it'll still be an amazing game. And when I played Trigger 2 years after, I loved it as well. But at that point, because I switched the order of the games, I didn't make any dire comparison of the "Chrono" name between games.

So basically, if you're looking for a game to play, yes, get Chrono Cross. It was really good.
But if you're getting it only to compare it to Chrono Trigger and the Chrono name, don't get it. (I made that mistake with XII, and you see how pissed off I am at it.)
Thanks, I was also dissapointed by FFXII. I will get the game not thinking of it as a chrono game, but as some new series.

When I played Chrono Cross I didn't think of it as CT's successor, that's why the game wasn't so bad to my eyes. People always compare it to CT but it's quite different. It's not the best game ever but there are some stuff I enjoyed about it.

ArtznCraphs said:
GiggityNinja said:

Really?  I think FFXII not only deserved the name, it broke out of the tired conventions of the FF name.  FFX was a lightweight AFAIC.  Not one drop of red-blooded adventure spirit to it.  And shamefully linear and claustrophobic even compared to older FF's, and still using archaic game design elements like random battles.  I really think the game was aimed at teenage girls exclusively.

Well, we can't change opinions. I think it's only appropriate if we agree to disagree.

*Pst* X kicks XII's ass. Bite me. lol.

Sony will prevail. My 60 gig says so.

PlayStation 3 Games:

- Rock Band
- Rock Band 2
- Soulcalibur IV
- LittleBigPlanet
- Guitar Hero: World Tour

Chrono Cross is more like a spiritual sequel to Xenogears than a follow up to Chrono Trigger. XG and CC have a lot in common (most notably their battle engines and their obscenely text-heavy plots), but of the two, Chrono Cross is definitely the more replayable. If only because of its New Game + functionality.

Sky Render - Sanity is for the weak.

I'd give it about an 8/10. Baiten Kaitos for GCN is a much better game that is based off Chrono Cross and pretty much matches up scene for scene. I recommend BK over CC.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.
I don't need your console war.

NO NO, NO NO NO.