By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - IGN gives MGS4 10/10

disolitude said:
Yeah...this sounds like a review from someone who is a huge MGS fanboy at IGN. No offence at MGS4 but I've played 4 hours of it now and while its really great, its not a 10. Its a very glossy, well produced and well written 9.1 :)

Story, Visuals, Audio are all 10's...but gameplay is king...and there are still issues galore with controls and camera.

Also, I am worried that sneaking around is no longer the key aspect to this series... as I'm plowing through everything with machine guns. And if the combat is the main gameplay component...I must say that thus far, it is a second rate Gears/Resident Evil 4 hybrid that doesn't work nearly as well as either.

So I'd give gameplay 8 thus far...

It might not be a key aspect anymore, but you can certainly play it that way.

No spoilers but the highest trophy in the game is to kill no-one but bosses and only trip three alarms in the entire game.

Gotta be pretty sneaky to do that imo 

Proud Sony Rear Admiral

Around the Network
Euphoria14 said:
It used to be "Wait for IGN review".

Now it's "IGN reviews can't be trusted."

New excuse everyday... I love it!!!

Best part is the ones hating on this game in this thread are ones who haven't even played it, lol. Essentially making their opinions on the game moot.

Huh?

It used to be from who?  Some people think IGN is the last word, some people have never trusted them.   There isn't one large group that's just flipflopping.

And most of the people commenting here seem to have played the game  they're just not all declaring this the best thing since yesterday.  Some happen to think that level headed evaluation is more important than feeling secure in your purchases and likes.

Personally, I can't complain about the game.  The gameplay is the best it's ever been, and the sound design may be the best in a war game right now.  More emphasis on gunfights with better stealth gameplay is exactly what I wanted from this series, and now I finally have it.  But what it is not is the validator or "savior" of the PS3 (along with fanboy egos), which I feel is what alot hyperbole is coming from 

Either way, IGN is still clown shoes.

ArtznCraphs said:
Euphoria14 said:

Best part is the ones hating on this game in this thread are ones who haven't even played it, lol. Essentially making their opinions on the game moot.

Huh?

It used to be from who?  Some people think IGN is the last word, some people have never trusted them.   There isn't one large group that's just flipflopping.

And most of the people commenting here seem to have played the game  they're just not all declaring this the best thing since yesterday.  Some  happen to think that level headed criticism is more important than feeling secure in your purchases and likes.

I have stated numerous times I am not one who cares for reviews, but for a very long time IGN was the main review many people have waited on. Maybe not in the last month or so, but for a very long before that... yes.

You can keep this argument going if you want, I see not need.

I wasn't calling you out now was I?

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

disolitude said:
Dallinor said:
disolitude said:
Yeah...this sounds like a review from someone who is a huge MGS fanboy at IGN. No offence at MGS4 but I've played 4 hours of it now and while its really great, its not a 10. Its a very glossy, well produced and well written 9.1 :)

Story, Visuals, Audio are all 10's...but gameplay is king...and there are still issues galore with controls and camera.

Also, I am worried that sneaking around is no longer the key aspect to this series... as I'm plowing through everything with machine guns. And if the combat is the main gameplay component...I must say that thus far, it is a second rate Gears/Resident Evil 4 hybrid that doesn't work nearly as well as either.

So I'd give gameplay 8 thus far...

That's the beauty of the game. As mentioned in the GT review "there are many ways to play it [MGS4]".

You can sneak by opponents completely, fight a few then hide and wait for them the forget about you, or simple blaze your way through with a machine gun.

I havent found the controls or camera an issue at all. I actually found the controls for GTA entailed a bigger learning curve then MGS4.

I'm about 5 hours in so far, and loving it.

9.7/10 from me.

Why would you hide if you don't have to? It started off good...lmited ammo and giant robots you cant kill. But then you get so much ammo and that eye thing...it became a slaughter fest after that.

Also, there is nothing wrong with controls but they are clunky for aiming especially until you get the sniper. and camera goes close-far-close far sometimes...especially when you've been spotted and want to see where the dudes are that spotted you.

All in all seems like they upped the visuals and sound by quite a lot but kept the story telling and action the same.

Also, running around in the warzone seems cool at first with shit exploding left and right and bullets flying all over...but the moment i realized those cant hit me and are jsut background FX, i wanted them to stop. That just distracts me from the real action...

Hope no one thinks im dogging this game...i love it...but its not a 10.

I played both MGS4 and gears of war

to me MGS4>>>>>Geow

the genres are different but I am liking MGS4 much more as a whole package(i am new to franchise ) 

but to each his own 

ArtznCraphs said:
Euphoria14 said:

Huh?

It used to be from who? Some people think IGN is the last word, some people have never trusted them. There isn't one large group that's just flipflopping.

And most of the people commenting here seem to have played the game they're just not all declaring this the best thing since yesterday. Some happen to think that level headed criticism is more important than feeling secure in your purchases and likes.

go search the website,,,you see 90% people in this site accept IGN only,,,it was in a long thread

Around the Network
Euphoria14 said:

Why would he hide?

That is the beauty of it. You can. You have the choice.

I also can't believe you just tried to compare it to Gears of War...not just that, but Gears has laggy as all hell Online play and the single player campaign is 8 hours at best compared to 20+. Second rate? Yeah Gears was good, but I guess to each his own.

I did not compare Gears to MGS4. I compared combat between the 2...as both are stick to walls, come out, fire and pull back.

MGS obviously has a more epic story and approach and is better in a lot of aspects...but core combat is not as good as Gears.

MGS4 totally deserves 10/10. hell it deserves 100/10. GTA IV is such an overrated game. I got MGS4 today and I played for 8 hours straight (well more like 6 and 1/2 if you exclude breakfast and lunch, and all the bathroom breaks.)

disolitude said:
Euphoria14 said:

Why would he hide?

That is the beauty of it. You can. You have the choice.

I also can't believe you just tried to compare it to Gears of War...not just that, but Gears has laggy as all hell Online play and the single player campaign is 8 hours at best compared to 20+. Second rate? Yeah Gears was good, but I guess to each his own.

I did not compare Gears to MGS4. I compared combat between the 2...as both are stick to walls, come out, fire and pull back.

MGS obviously has a more epic story and approach and is better in a lot of aspects...but core combat is not as good as Gears.

So because you choose to play it as a run and gun the combat is bad compared to Gears?

Can you play Stealth in Gears? Can you blend in with the opposing armies and essentially pick and choose sides during combat?

I see that as a HUGE No, meaning IMO combat is much superior.

I woud much rather have multiple ways to go into combat rather than 1, at least the game isn't exactly the same when I replay it.

To be honest, I am not going to continue with this thread. If MGS4 was all stealth and no run and gun option people would be bitching about that too. That is just the way it goes, no matter which game it is.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

SpartanFX said:
ArtznCraphs said:
Euphoria14 said:

Huh?

It used to be from who? Some people think IGN is the last word, some people have never trusted them. There isn't one large group that's just flipflopping.

And most of the people commenting here seem to have played the game they're just not all declaring this the best thing since yesterday. Some happen to think that level headed criticism is more important than feeling secure in your purchases and likes.

go search the website,,,you see 90% people in this site accept IGN only,,,it was in a long thread

So are those 90% nowsaying IGN can't be trusted?  No, it's me (decidely never a part of that 90%) and maybe a couple others.  No one switched on it.  And I gave a reason, however basic, why I personally don't think their reviews are worth much, which has nothing to do with my opinion on this particular game.

ArtznCraphs said:
SpartanFX said:
ArtznCraphs said:
Euphoria14 said:

Huh?

So are those 90% nowsaying IGN can't be trusted?  No, it's me (decidely never a part of that 90%) and maybe a couple others.  No one switched on it.  And I gave a reason why I personally don't think their reviews are worth much, which has nothing to do with my opinion on this particular game.

Nobody called you out directly though, so why are you getting so upset? If you know you do not fit into that criteria you should be content, I don't personally have a list of everyone here who trusts or doesn't trust IGN, I only go by what I see. Same with everyone else.

Currently playing: