By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Nintendomination increasing...

Maybe I'll restate my question at the end of the first post - which is what this thread SHOULD be about:

Based on the current charts, Nintendo is dominating more than ever before - and even after GTA4 has been released.

Has this domination "peaked", or will it continue to increase (until even more of the charts are dominated by Ninty platforms)?

@all: I simply used the term 'Nintendomination', because it has been widely used for a couple of years now - but the actual domination by Ninty has *increased*, not dropped off. If anything, its the weakening of the PS2 over the last 12 months which has helped Ninty solidify its position in the charts.

PS - my "ultra PS/GT fanboy" mate is over at my place at the moment, and we have been playing ExciteTruck since last night. He is now truly addicted to it, and is talking about buying a Wii(!). I suggested he should wait until the PS3 drops more in price, so he can get GT5 - but he declined, saying he didn't like the direction (& car handling?) of the last couple GT games in the series. He might change his mind if he actually played GT5 Prologue though :P

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

Around the Network

I guess I define "domination" in a different way. I see the Wii as having dominated the casual market from the very beginning. Who wanted to keep using their PS2 for that, after all? Its not really in the same league with the HD consoles, so it's kinda wierd to compare them side-by-side, IMO.

If there's any "domination" going on across all three platforms, I think a better way to evaluate it would be to only compare titles which shipped across all three. Its not many titles overall, because like I said, they really are targetting very different demographics, and thus aren't really competing.

A casual glance at said titles seems to say that the Wii suffers a bit, relative to the 360 in particular (which makes sense, given existing numbers).  License titles (movie games) seem to do well on the Wii, but "AAA" games (like Madden) favor the 360.  That totally supports the "different demographics" idea.

Oh wow. I had some hope you were just making an overzealous but lame joke post but that's just sad. You're like crazzyman but.... with proper grammar and spelling.

Impulsivity said:
Desroko said:
I've noticed that the troll doesn't talk about games, he talks about technology (wrongly, but we'll ignore that for now).

By this logic, we all suck for not buying the 3DO.

How many 9+ games are out for Wii? Seems to be somewhere around 6 (all 1st party rehashes of games already played with marginal improvements) Galaxy, Melee, Metroid, Twilight Princess, and some game I've never heard of called Zack and Wiki. There's debatably Okami too but thats a rehashed PS2 game very playable on the PS2 where it got better reviews.

Alternately on the PS3 theres two 10s (as compared to none for Wii) Metal Gear Solid 4 and GTA 4 both of which play drastically different then their predecessors in large part because of the expanded tech in the PS3 (you could never in a million years make either game for the Wii). There are also 10 9+ games Rock Band, Call of Duty 4, Ratchet and Clank, Ninja Gaiden Sigma, Pro Evolution Soccer, Elder Scrolls 4, Uncharted, Resistance, Unreal Tournament 3, Devil May Cry 4, Folklore and Motorstorm.

If you want to talk games thats very clearly advantage PS3, unless of course you have a strong nostalgia complex that makes any game you've already played before 3 times with no real changes better. Or you really love the imagine games and mini game collections in which case the Wii is clearly your system. I will give props to Wii fit though, that made me start up the Wii again after a long hiatus.

That's all fine - but it has nothing to do with this thread, or hardware/software sales, etc. Sounds a lot like the monthly "NPD press spin" we get from MS & Sony. Good review scores don't earn companies money :P

For example: MGS4 will seriously struggle to outsell M&S (Olympics), even on the Wii - let alone the Wii+DS versions. Yet it will get much higher review scores.

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

Desroko said:
The troll also relies on reviewers to tell him what to think, instead of deciding that matter for himself.

I played almost all the 9+ games on both systems (with the exception of Zack and Wiki whatever that is) and I have to say every Wii game, even with the different controls, was the same game I played on the N64.  The controls were different but in most cases it makes control more frustrating.  Its far harder to play twilight princess then it was to play orcania of time, ditto for smash bros (which is AWFUL to play with the wii mote).  The remote does lend itself to mini games like Wii Sports or probably carnival games but except for Resident Evil 4 I have found the PS3 to control infinately better and all the Wii games to be very derivitive.

On the other hand with GTA4 and MGS4 I had a ton of wow moments that reminded me why I like video games in the first place.  The attention to detail, the story, the characters, the game play, its all revolutionary and amazing.  If you can point to a single point at which you felt a strong connection to the characters or were really blown away by something completely unexpected and amazing in one of the first party Wii games please, feel free to share.

Similarly awesome and expansive was Oblivion, Call of Duty 4 was the most intense photo realistic game I've ever seen until MGS4 blew it away, Ratchet and Clank was a fun platformer easily on par with the Mario or Banjo Kazoee games, Resistance was a very fun and incredibly original FPS game that made the field of Halo clones and WW2 sims look positively boring by comparison.   Ninja Gaiden Sigma was the most challenging game I've played and required lightning reflexes that would be impossible with the wiimote, Rock band was the most fun multi player experience I've ever had (also impossible on the Wii are the download songs since the Wii has no HD).  Pro Evolution Soccer was very fun and realistic if you like soccer and MotorStorm was one of the best release games I've ever played with a great original racing experience.  Uncharted was like a modern Indiana Jones and was both cinematic and exciting.  What the PS3 has that the Wii doesn't have is the ability to have sweeping cinematic game experiences that really impress and aren't just been there done that rehashes.  Maybe nostalgia does it for you but I don't want to play rehashes of the same games I used to love when I was 4 on the NES.  I play the Nintendo games occasionally but I've never found myself up for 10 hours past when I should have headed to bed riveted by any modern Nintendo game like I was with MGS4 last night.

Quality cinematic games do sell.  The top all time sellers that weren't bundled are high end games like the GTA games, Gran Turismo (which is as different from Mario Kart as you can get) games and plenty of other high end mature console games from about 2 years into the new consoles life cycle on.  Feel free to look at the top games of the last 2 gens for plenty of proof.  There are enough people who aren't satisfied with Imagine Babies to let the cream sell as it should.

PSN ID: ChosenOne feel free to add me

Around the Network
psrock said:
shams said:
psrock said:
dude17761991hatp said:
This is a fun thread. Impulsivity is a fun person. He makes me smile.

it's bias thread like these that brings out impulsivity.

So you, or anyone else want to explain how this thread is biased? Or like I said before - is any thread that analyses the current "best sellers" biased, because Ninty is doing well? 

i'm sorry for being rude, but what was the point of this thread but to shove the wii success in our face, it's one thing to analyze the numbers, but you most certainly created a flame thread. We know the wii is successful, we know it has won this gen already. Just look at the threads title, it reaks of fanboyism.

I agree with psrock

Impulsivity said:
Desroko said:
I've noticed that the troll doesn't talk about games, he talks about technology (wrongly, but we'll ignore that for now).

By this logic, we all suck for not buying the 3DO.

How many 9+ games are out for Wii? 

You're bringing out the "Where are the games" argument in a sales discussion? If that's all you have to bring to the table you're out of luck.

Impulsivity said:

I bet you anything over its lifetime the PS3 will sell tens of millions more then the Wii since it won't be truly obsolete for 6 or 7 more years while the Wii has about 2 left.

Are you still betting anything? How much money do have?

@Impulsivity: Two 10's on the PS3, WOW, I might be missing something, cause you know what? I can't find them and I never will. By your logic MGS4 is the same rehashed game all over again, with shiny new graphics, DMC$ is (multiplat) and same game as DMC3 too much milking on this, UT3, same old game, just some new weapon; Pro evo soccer, 112423th game in the franchise, the truly new game is the Wii Pro evo; Elder Scrolls 4? lol same game again; Ninja Gaiden? same NES game all over again. Ratchet and Clank one of the most milked franchises in history; CoD 4 same old game of a milked franchise. The rest are mediocre.

PS3 lacks exclusives, all are milked down franchises or mediocre new games.

^See what I did there?

Also about 100 million PS3 sold, it better start selling faster LOL!!! About 18 million by years end would mark it's second anniversary (Being generous giving an extra christmas) so if PS3 sales continue to plummet week by week instead of rising, PS3 will sell nowhere close to 50 million by 2125.
Also catch the 360 first, talk later. And one last point 27.5 million users are enjoying a Wii, PS3 isn't as popular as the ilogical troll/fanboy inside you wants it to be. Whenever PS3 outsells the Wii, call me :)

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies

@Impulsivity

I totally agree. Some people love billiards, and some people own a console for their kids alone, and they will fill Nintendo's coffers for a long time to come. Long dominate the king of casual console gaming, and all that. WiiVegas will rake it in, there's no question.

Not really sure what the comparison between the HD consoles and the Wii is yet. The Wii clearly suffers with cross-triple-platform releases, even in sales, let alone quality.

trestres said:
@Impulsivity: Two 10's on the PS3, WOW, I might be missing something, cause you know what? I can't find them and I never will. By your logic MGS4 is the same rehashed game all over again, with shiny new graphics, DMC$ is (multiplat) and same game as DMC3 too much milking on this, UT3, same old game, just some new weapon; Pro evo soccer, 112423th game in the franchise, the truly new game is the Wii Pro evo; Elder Scrolls 4? lol same game again; Ninja Gaiden? same NES game all over again. Ratchet and Clank one of the most milked franchises in history; CoD 4 same old game of a milked franchise. The rest are mediocre.

PS3 lacks exclusives, all are milked down franchises or mediocre new games.

^See what I did there?

Also about 100 million PS3 sold, it better start selling faster LOL!!! About 18 million by years end would mark it's second anniversary (Being generous giving an extra christmas) so if PS3 sales continue to plummet week by week instead of rising, PS3 will sell nowhere close to 50 million by 2125.
Also catch the 360 first, talk later. And one last point 27.5 million users are enjoying a Wii, PS3 isn't as popular as the ilogical troll/fanboy inside you wants it to be. Whenever PS3 outsells the Wii, call me :)

If you played GTA4 or MGS4 you would see a drastic revolutionary difference between them and earlier games in the series, its very striking, almost as much as the difference between GT2 for PS1 and GT3 for PS2.  The reason they can be drasticly better is the hardware is getting to the point where the sky really is the limit for cinematic experiences and amazingly expansive game play.  That is why I say that the PS3 will outlast the Wii and will end up more successful.  The Wii is severely hobbled by being old tech.  Also most of the big PS2 hits didn't come till a few years into the life cycle once developers really started to take advantage of the technology and the price dropped enough for bigger sales numbers.  The difference is in the potential of the system.

Ditto for Oblivion 4, Call of Duty 4 and many of the other continuations of the series, playing the new PS3 version and the older PS2 versions are like night and day in options, attention to detail and sheer cinematic immersion which does matter to more people then you'd think.  GT4 between 360 and PS3 has already sold more then any non bundled Wii game if you want proof that I'm not alone in thinking that. 

PSN ID: ChosenOne feel free to add me