By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Should Nintendo buy third party support?

Soriku said:
Hawkeye said:
If I were Nintendo, I would save 50% of the money as a war chest, use 5% to increase production, 5% as a pay increase, and 40% to open new stuidoes and recruit very talented people. They need a stuido that works on FPSes and another that works on RPGs...

Eh...they have Monolith Soft for RPGs. Same with Intelligent Systems. (Though they need to pump out more.)

Whats Monolith made? I know Intelegent Systems makes fire emblem, thats SRPG. Monolith makes RPGs? Nintendo needs more though. They alos lack FPS. They should open studios covering their weaknesses. Ideally enough so that they can become self suffieicnt in case they get no support in later consoles.

Around the Network

I think retro studios is good for fpses. Even though metroid prime isn't a fps it still has aspects from fps games, and I think it does better than games that are fpses.

I can't find the exact quote, but I believe someone at Nintendo (Maybe Iwata) said they don't normally buy other companies unless it's one they feel has generally similar corporate philosophy and are willing to work under Nintendo. Otherwise they may simply buy a name, and the talent may jump ship in a hostile takeover.

EA has done this several times. Bought out a company and tried to bend it to their will only to alienate the people who made the companies what they were. In Retro Studios case, they were struggling to get something off the ground, so they were pretty happy when Nintendo offered a chance to revive the Metroid series.

It's possible this whole thing with Fatal Frame IV might have something to do with them trying to hire new talent. Kind of like what did happen with Monolith Soft. Nintendo was Disaster's publisher since that game's announcement and eventually they bought Monolith after they decided they'll work well together.

Would be Wierd if Suda51 became 2nd party or 1st party.

I'm Unamerica and you can too.

The Official Huge Monster Hunter Thread: 

The Hunt Begins 4/20/2010 =D

Nah man, the Wii has been getting tons of new 3rd party games announced lately. I think the Wii might actually end up with PS3 level 3rd party support before all it said and done.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.
I don't need your console war.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

Around the Network

They might buy up some small good developers to make them part of Nintendo IE Retro but i dont expect nintendo to flat out buy third party support escpecially since they dont really need it now.

"Like you know"

ZenfoldorVGI said:
Nah man, the Wii has been getting tons of new 3rd party games announced lately. I think the Wii might actually end up with PS3 level 3rd party support before all it said and done.

That is a good thing?

jhonip said:
superchunk said:
They don't need to.

1. 1st party Nintendo games are all AAA.
2. The Wii and DS are by far the dominate consoles. The userbases alone push 3rd parties to make games for them.

I'm sorry but not evreting that nintendo does is AAA, what about mario party?

Mario party is not developed by Nintendo and i believe the last one 8 was developed by Hudson. 

"Like you know"

I've always felt having good 3rd party support is a good thing. It worked for the NES, SNES, PS1, PS2, Genesis. i think it's been the determining factor in which console is considered "the best" at the end of a cycle.

However, the concept of buying exclusives...

ARe we talking about paying a 3rd party to make an exclusive, like a special order, or buying an exclusive already in production and has potential. The former I think is absurd and a gamble. The chances of getting a game with any kind of love and care put into it "made to order" are slim to none.

Yes, it should, because I'd like more exclusives, who wouldn't like that?

No, it won't happen, maybe some small parties, some good ones, because Nintendo makes exellent games already. I wouldn't be very worried if Wii only had Nintendo developed or published games.

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies