By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - 360 is the king of rpg's this gen,so why isnt it doing good in japan

@ the people saying the DS is the king of rpg's i meant 360 was the king of rpg's from the consoles

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

Around the Network

ookaze said:
Reading this thread, it's pretty clear to me why people can't understand why the XB360 is not doing good in Japan.
I mean, it's pretty obvious. But the problem is that it doesn't go well with the alternate reality, the utopia of the people for whom the XB360 should be doing well in Japan no matter what. So as reality doesn't go well with their utopia, they make their own BS, and what's more amazing, they're eating it.

And even though it's "pretty obvious" you fail to clearly state that obvious reason in your post.

The problem with MS, is that they often destroy what they partner with. In this case, getting several JRPG companies in Japan to make games for their failure will surely destroy some of these companies. JRPG weren't doing well, and I don't even blame MS for the demise of JRPG game companies. That's the companies' fault for being stupid. Thus, I blame Mistwalker for their demise, that's their fault.

This is the only statement in your post that could even remotely referred to as specifying that "pretty obvious" reason you were talking about at the beginning.
Then please enlighten us: how is MS destroying a company by funding their products and giving them all freedom they need?
The problem is rather that their products will only be available on a platform that is highly unpopular in Japan and therefore will not be recognized by the consumers. That means: if the Xbox were as popular as the Wii in Japan the same behavior of MS (funding a company's products and giving them all freedom they need) would lead to great sales.
In conclusion, what you stated is in no way the reason why the Xbox is not doing well in Japan. What you stated is a consequence of the Xbox's unpopularity in Japan.

Nonsense like "360 is the king of rpg's this gen", or "Japan is even more nationalistic than the USA", or even better, 360 is a reliable console.

This is nonsense, of course (especially since I consider the USA as being among the most open-minded people regarding the acceptance of foreign products). Imho one very important reason is simply that the MS & Xbox brand is not liked by the Japanese people, as stated by many others in this thread. The reasons for that are various and not always that "obvious", imho.

The question is not why is Xbox 360 failing, it's why is Wii succeeding?  We always used to proclaim that N64 and GameCube would have been more successful in Japan if they only had the right RPGs.  Instead of attracting more JRPGs, Nintendo changed the rules so that RPGs have become also-rans in that country.

Seriously, look at DS: It's RPG lineup was almost nonexistant until well after it became a huge hit.  When games like Final Fantasy III finally came out, they helped hardware sales along, but Nintendo had already done all the hard work: DS outsold PSP regularly with non-RPGs like Nintendogs, Brain Training, and New Super Mario Bros.

Of course, RPGs still have a huge cult following in Japan and I believe they could drive the sales of the Xbox 360: if only it could get an RPG that actually mattered.  I mean, really, Xbox needs Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest, not Random Fantasy-Sounding Words Strung Together: An Original RPG by Some Jerk who Worked on Final Fantasy Once.  Even then it would be an also-ran compared to Wii, but maybe it could make a dent in PS3.

NG2 was just another proof that x360 is DEAD in Japan.
It`s pointless to expect something else.
But M$ does pretty good job for trying, they released so many japan oriented games, much more then PS3 have at this moment.
Even some western releases come by several weeks earlier then ps3 version,
and still no effect.

First xbox failed because of no japan oriented games.
Second xbox failed because of high failure rate.
Looks like a BAD karma for M$.

Every 5 seconds on earth one child dies from hunger...

2009.04.30 - PS3 will OUTSELL x360 atleast by the middle of 2010. Japan+Europe > NA.

Gran Turismo 3 - 1,06 mln. in 3 weeks with around 4 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Gran Turismo 4 - 1,16 mln. with 18 mln. PS2 on the launch.

Final Fantasy X - around 2 mln. with 5 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Final Fantasy X-2 - 2.4 mln. with 12 mln. PS2 on the launch.

1.8 mln. PS3 today(2008.01.17) in Japan. Now(2009.04.30) 3.16 mln. PS3 were sold in Japan.
PS3 will reach 4 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 25k.

PS3 may reach 5 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 50k.
PS2 2001 vs PS3 2008 sales numbers =) + New games released in Japan by 2009 that passed 100k so far

Well, jrpg:s are the only good games that come from Japan. Maybe ms should just let the japanese market be, seems like it is not worth the effort for them.

Around the Network

Japan doesn't like HD gaming =( We are lucky some japanese devs have learnt how to make money in the west, else there'd be no HD games from japan.

Current-gen game collection uploaded on the profile, full of win and good games; also most of my PC games. Lucasfilm Games/LucasArts 1982-2008 (Requiescat In Pace).

Bitmap Frogs said:
Japan doesn't like HD gaming =( We are lucky some japanese devs have learnt how to make money in the west, else there'd be no HD games from japan.
I wonder if JRPGs could be used for Japanese developers to make money in the western markets.  They probably could.

Lost Odyssey showed that there's a market in the west, worth at least 600k+ sales. In a few months when IU and Vesperia launch we'll know wether there's room for the genre or not.

Current-gen game collection uploaded on the profile, full of win and good games; also most of my PC games. Lucasfilm Games/LucasArts 1982-2008 (Requiescat In Pace).

amount of JRPG =/= success in Japan.

It's sad that some people think the only thing Japanese people play are JRPGs. Look at the sales of most non big-name JRPG franchises in Japan, those numbers aren't exactly ground breaking.