By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Prediction: PS3 to outsell 360 every month in USA starting today.

Prediction - PS3 will stop outselling the 360 in less than a month in NA

Name the next PS3 game that appeals to the NA market.

Around the Network

All that really matters is that the PS3 has already passed the Xbox360 on overall sales here in Europe. It's been catching up ever since it was released and since April, when PS3 went passed Xbox360, the gap has been getting bigger and bigger.

prediction 360 to outsell PS3 every month except June...

starcraft said:
Well, especially for the NA market the 360 actually has a superior line-up this year. That, plus a cheaper price, and the whole 'play what your friends are playing' concept should keep it strong in the USA.

This prediction doesn't mean much though, as price cuts and massive games like Gears of War 2 are part of the usual console cycle, excluding events like that from your prediction doesn't exactly make it a bold one.

I have to agree with Starcraft on this one. The whole "play what your friends play" concept hits home. My 12 year old son has an Xbox 360 and according to him just about his whole circle has one as well. If they dont, they are planning to get one soon. I know of a couple of his friends just got a 360 since summer break. 

Both systems have great games coming but I believe the system that sells the most through the Christmas season will  be the one with a price cut or a good bundle deal. Alot of people havent taken the next gen plunge  yet and are holding out.

I do agree with the OP that the PS3 is gonna get a strong surge from the MGS bundle, but thats not enough to keep it outselling the 360 for months at a time. We were shopping at Best Buy and Gamestop last night and both stores sold out of the MSG bundle, but that cant go on for ever. The 360 has  a really big lead in NA and I dont the PS3 ever catching up, although it would be nice lol.  I do see the gap closing though. 

I also think the surge from MSG bundles will prompt MS to do a price cut, if not in time for E3, then definately by the holiday shopping season.  Sony is still breaking even on hardware, from what I have read lately.

Tifa got MOVES!

The 360 is near its peak (which is about Xbox sales plus a tiny increase) since it appeals to one market, hardcore gamers to young and/or poor to afford a decent PC (that has all the same games usually in a superior form ala mass effect or gears with added content). Name one good 360 exclusive game with solid 9+ ratings....exactly (and don't say Halo 3, theres 0 chance that won't end up a game for windows just like Halo 2 did).

The PS3 is hitting its stride and gaining momentum as the long dev time games finally come out. MGS4 is out now, soon Little Big Planet, Gran Turismo 5, FFXIII and the rest will be out and the contest will be fully over.

Do you really think gears or fable will be a system seller? Do you really think almost everyone who is interested in gears didn't already buy a 360 for the last gears and/or Halo 3? Hardcore games don't sell 360s, hardcore gamer nerds without decent PCs already HAVE a 360. Really cool cinematic games that can't/won't be ported to the PC sell systems beyond that hardcore nerd population and those are pretty much all PS3 games into the foreseeable future. Additionally the average 360 exclusive that isn't on PC just sucks, Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon anyone? Chances for Too Human not sucking are low, ditto for sacred 2. Valve games will almost certainly hit PC if not PS3, ditto for almost all the good 360 games not made by MS.

PSN ID: ChosenOne feel free to add me

Around the Network

666.7K Wii
405.5K PS3
219.8K 360
337.4K PSP
783K DS
188.8k PS2

One more month goes to PS3 in US.

Alas, it was a given due to MGS4 , but still July numbers aren't looking any prettier (for 360) considering VGC numbers (which include Canada).

Also, the 20GB 360's phase-out discount won't make a scratch on my prediction.

BluZilla is going to rampage for the rest of the year, no question. The PS3 was held back its first year by the lack of HDTVs, but right now, prices of 32" HDTVs are closing in on the $1000 mark, which means mass affordability. Once the PS3 is price-reduced to $299/299EUR in November, it's game over for Microsoft.

I don't think the recession will change this. In fact, I suspect many folks will cut down on their driving and travel (especially vacations), and spend more money on home entertainment.

Outside of the month of July (Pro price drop), it's quite plausible that the ps3 will outsell the 360 in NA for the rest of the year.

wow, good prediction more the month of june.

i'm laughing on one of my friends now.
he bought a xbox360 the elite i guess its black and he was always annoying me saying i bought a third place console
his xbox360 RROD karma is at bitch1!!!1 haha.
not only that it taking a month to replace it, since its international sellling, the excuse was the motherboard fried, so he HAVE to wait for the replacement to come.

with this kind of thing happening you can't tell some people are just simply stupid.