By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why are so many people requesting console price cuts?

By waiting longer consoles go down in price and there are more games available. People are still waiting for more 360, PS3 and Wii games to come out and a bargain console price.
Best time to buy a console is in its third or fourth year.

Around the Network
Fayceless said:

People want a price cut because for the average consumer, paying $500+ just to have the system to play games, it's ridiculous. Most gamers enjoy games(<-brilliant observation), but have other things they like to do as well.

I'm not trying to say people who do want to buy a $500-600 console are losers or have nothing better to do. Gaming is probably your biggest hobby, and I respect that. For me, music (mostly software for the creation/production of music) is where most of my money goes, but I still like gaming. However, while I am willing to spend some money on gaming, I can't put it as a priority over music. So there is a conflict of interests, and music wins. A decent price cut would greatly help to solve this problem.

Games are fun.  People want to play games.  People are not willing to spend hundreds of dollars in oder to play them.  They want to pay what they have become used to paying.  They don't want  it to take up more of their income.

Shouldn't the companies making these games be entitled to profits as well? Are they just supposed to keep absorbing losses to please consumers? The HD consoles are already sold cheaper than their worth yet people complain and rush to buy the newest version of the grossly overpriced iphones and ipods

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

Rock_on_2008 said:
By waiting longer consoles go down in price and there are more games available. People are still waiting for more 360, PS3 and Wii games to come out and a bargain console price.
Best time to buy a console is in its third or fourth year.

For a hardcore gamer like me, all those years lost is not worth the $$$ saved

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

Cuz consoles are expensive and we can't afford them? IMO its cheaper to buy a dreamcast an 18 games for $144-
example
Sega Dreamcast System ($15)

Crazy Taxi ($2)
Alien Front Online ($2)
Chu Chu Rocket ($2)
Space Channel 5 ($2)
Sega Rally 2 ($2)
Crazy Taxi 2 ($3)
Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver ($3)
Toy Commander ($4)
Ecco the Dolphin: defender of the future ($4)
Vigilante 8: Second Offense ($6)
Sonic Adventure ($6)
Rayman 2: The great escape ($7)
Daytona USA ($10)
Jet Grind Radio ($11)
Soul Calibur ($12)
Grandia 2 ($15)
Shenume ($18)
Sonic Advenutre 2 ($20)

Number of games: 18
Total Cost: $144
Cost per game (w/ console): $8.00
(This is what I plan to buy this fall BTW)

In the United States, there is an oncoming recession, if not a current recession. Many people are affected. Lot's of people are becoming tighter. It's not really Sony and Microsoft's fault for their console design. If the US had been in a recession 5 years ago the consoles MAY have been designed cheaper to balance the US economy. Even if there is a recession in the US video gaming is not going to go away in the US. But people will complain and be tighter. I personally have only bought 3 games this generation (and not even the console to play them on). I focus on indie games cause they can run on my POS computer and they are cheap/free. I get a lot of gaming goodness.

Around the Network
GlingGling said:
In the United States, there is an oncoming recession, if not a current recession. Many people are affected. Lot's of people are becoming tighter. It's not really Sony and Microsoft's fault for their console design. If the US had been in a recession 5 years ago the consoles MAY have been designed cheaper to balance the US economy. Even if there is a recession in the US video gaming is not going to go away in the US. But people will complain and be tighter. I personally have only bought 3 games this generation (and not even the console to play them on). I focus on indie games cause they can run on my POS computer and they are cheap/free. I get a lot of gaming goodness.

I understand. But you also have to realize that a business is made to profit. Looking at the losses from the sony and M$ gaming divisions (esp Sony), you'll understand why no businessman in his right mind would make a price cut right now even though as a gamer you just want to play games.

Hawkeye said:
Cuz consoles are expensive and we can't afford them? IMO its cheaper to buy a dreamcast an 18 games for $144-
example
Sega Dreamcast System ($15)

Crazy Taxi ($2)
Alien Front Online ($2)
Chu Chu Rocket ($2)
Space Channel 5 ($2)
Sega Rally 2 ($2)
Crazy Taxi 2 ($3)
Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver ($3)
Toy Commander ($4)
Ecco the Dolphin: defender of the future ($4)
Vigilante 8: Second Offense ($6)
Sonic Adventure ($6)
Rayman 2: The great escape ($7)
Daytona USA ($10)
Jet Grind Radio ($11)
Soul Calibur ($12)
Grandia 2 ($15)
Shenume ($18)
Sonic Advenutre 2 ($20)

Number of games: 18
Total Cost: $144
Cost per game (w/ console): $8.00
(This is what I plan to buy this fall BTW)

The only game that interests me on that list is Shenmue and I have an Xbox so I'll probably get Shenmue 2 after I've finished MGS4.

What gets me about the whole price-cut whining in this generation isn't so much the idea of price cuts. They're a way of life in this industry; they happen sooner or later.

What gets me is the sense of entitlement that a lot of the whiners have. They think they have some inborn right to pay less for their consoles and games, often for the most insipid reasons (length of time the game has been out, some abstract measure of what "went into the game", the console it's on, and crap like that). And then there are the people who pirate games "because they cost too much," as though this will drive prices down or that their desire to not pay so much somehow makes stealing a valid option.

Complexity is not depth. Machismo is not maturity. Obsession is not dedication. Tedium is not challenge. Support gaming: support the Wii.

Be the ultimate ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today! Poisson Village welcomes new players.

What do I hate about modern gaming? I hate tedium replacing challenge, complexity replacing depth, and domination replacing entertainment. I hate the outsourcing of mechanics to physics textbooks, art direction to photocopiers, and story to cheap Hollywood screenwriters. I hate the confusion of obsession with dedication, style with substance, new with gimmicky, old with obsolete, new with evolutionary, and old with time-tested.
There is much to hate about modern gaming. That is why I support the Wii.

Millennium said:
What gets me about the whole price-cut whining in this generation isn't so much the idea of price cuts. They're a way of life in this industry; they happen sooner or later.

What gets me is the sense of entitlement that a lot of the whiners have. They think they have some inborn right to pay less for their consoles and games, often for the most insipid reasons (length of time the game has been out, some abstract measure of what "went into the game", the console it's on, and crap like that). And then there are the people who pirate games "because they cost too much," as though this will drive prices down or that their desire to not pay so much somehow makes stealing a valid option.

People who wait to get a console feel entitled to get it cheaper because it is no longer bleeding edge tech, and they have been deprived the ability to use it. I think the best way to do it is to get 25-50% of gaming stuff new and for the rest buy old used stuff that is 50-75% off.

If the benefit of free games outweighs the cost of getting caught and the psychological damage of labeling oneself a thief, people will pirate games. People who pirate are therefore amoral.

TheBigFatJ said:

People are calling for price cuts because sales for the PS3 and 360 are poor.

If someone wants a PS3, they can most likely afford one. It's a problem of perception: $400 for the system doesn't seem to give you as much value as the Xbox 360 gives you, and the Wii simply has so many games that appeal to so many people now that lots of people want it.

Consider that more people buy expensive ($300-$400) IPODs than PS3s. A lot more. There's no question about the perception of Apple's value, because people find the Apple product very attractive and very functional. Never mind that it only plays sound, and that you can get an MP3 player for 1/4th the price.

Sony could get huge sales if the PS3 was perceived in a similar way. The problem is that there just isn't enough games and there aren't enough Blu Ray movies, and people don't see enough value from Blu Ray movies.

The easy fix, of course, is a price drop.  Some people ar e getting tired of seeing their console languish with poor sales.

Excellent analysis. +1