By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - How much do you reckon Sony paid for MGS4 exclusivity?

zero
n/a
of course

Around the Network
starcraft said:

Regardless of whether MGS4 turns out to be timed or fully exclusive to the PS3, it is quite clear that Sony offered either direct payment or incentives of a certain value to keep the title on their system only.

The sheer cost of developing the title and the PS3's relatively small userbase would have made substantial profit for Konami impossible to achieve without financial support from Sony.

I fully expect this entire thread to be speculation, but I am interested all the same.  My questions are:

- How much do you believe Sony paid for MGS4 exclusivity?

- What form do you believe these payments took?

- Will the hardware boost to the PS3 be worth it?

You're speaking as if there is no reasonable doubt. Not only is there no reasonable doubt, but nothing but the fact that it's not on the 360 would make one propose such a thing. Almost every Metal Gear game has been exclusive to Sony, and I actually believe that it would be technically impossible on the 360 simply due to the use of Blu-Ray.

P.S. They did compress everything as much as possible. There is never an occasion with any developer where you don't. 

starcraft said:

1 - How much do you believe Sony paid for MGS4 exclusivity?

2 - What form do you believe these payments took?

3 - Will the hardware boost to the PS3 be worth it?

1. $20 mill.

2. Free PSPs to everyone in Konami.

3. No. (they were expecting more at the time the deal was inked)

1. who cares
2. who cares
3. probably

Kasz216 said:
starcraft said:
CrazzyMan said:
MGS4 at THIS quality is NOT possible on x360.
1) MGS4 would be UNplayable on x360 models, which don`t have HDD.
2) The game would run in 565p at best case.

How many 50GB taking PS3 games were Ported to x360?
How many PS3 games at all were ported to x360?

Sony DO NOT pay for exclusives, ONLY M$ DO so.
Joke post?

Joke account.  If you pay attention to his non sony related off topic foreign posts it's almost assured he's a parody.

Huh? "off topic foreign posts"... can u elabroate on this? And reasons why u think CrazzyMan is a joke account/parody. 

Around the Network
Slimebeast said:
Kasz216 said:
starcraft said:
CrazzyMan said:

Joke post?

Joke account. If you pay attention to his non sony related off topic foreign posts it's almost assured he's a parody.

Huh? "off topic foreign posts"... can u elabroate on this? And reasons why u think CrazzyMan is a joke account/parody.

foriegn was just randomly thrown in their for some reason...(I dont know why...) in a recent post he suggested a government consipiracy to put lowjack microchips into people brains.

LongLiveTheBeatles said:
starcraft said:

Regardless of whether MGS4 turns out to be timed or fully exclusive to the PS3, it is quite clear that Sony offered either direct payment or incentives of a certain value to keep the title on their system only.

The sheer cost of developing the title and the PS3's relatively small userbase would have made substantial profit for Konami impossible to achieve without financial support from Sony.

I fully expect this entire thread to be speculation, but I am interested all the same. My questions are:

- How much do you believe Sony paid for MGS4 exclusivity?

- What form do you believe these payments took?

- Will the hardware boost to the PS3 be worth it?

You're speaking as if there is no reasonable doubt. Not only is there no reasonable doubt, but nothing but the fact that it's not on the 360 would make one propose such a thing. Almost every Metal Gear game has been exclusive to Sony, and I actually believe that it would be technically impossible on the 360 simply due to the use of Blu-Ray.

P.S. They did compress everything as much as possible. There is never an occasion with any developer where you don't.

Except for the fact that Kojima made a big deal about how he wanted uncompressed audio.  That is not uncommon for PS3 games this gen.

On topic, I strongly suspect it was money-hatted, but due to Sony's "policy" of not paying for exclusives we probably will never know what or how much the deal entailed. 

rocketpig said:
.Geenie. said:
Alone in the dark. thats because the devs dont know how to program for the ps3 properly. insomniac dont seem to have a problem

That is Sony's faults, not the developers. Sony has the responsibility to ensure that developers have the proper tools, knowledge, and support system to complete their project in a timely manner.

They had tools.  Sony sells a dev kit and all the required tools to make games on the PS3.  Are you telling me that it's the responsibility of one company to educate another in how to do their job?  I mean, if we use this logic, it's my fault that Urdu only speaking people can't get a job in America.  If they can't learn the language (and how to properly use them) then they deserve to lose out on the money they could be making.  If they are inneficient at speaking English and they can't find any job that requires more than 5 words in a day, how is that my fault??

Are you serious or just being a typical troll?

It seems the mods need help with this forum.  I have zero tolerance for trolling, platform criticism (Rule 4), and poster bad-mouthing (Rule 3.4) and you will be reported.

Review before posting: http://vgchartz.com/forum/rules.php

1) Not more than what Microsoft paid for DLC GTAIV but more than what Sony paid for Evolution and BigBig studios, so between 28-50 mil.

2) Lower royalties, helping development costs

3) Probably not.

Kasz216 said:
Slimebeast said:
Kasz216 said:
starcraft said:
CrazzyMan said:

Joke post?

Joke account. If you pay attention to his non sony related off topic foreign posts it's almost assured he's a parody.

foriegn was just randomly thrown in their for some reason...(I dont know why...) in a recent post he suggested a government consipiracy to put lowjack microchips into people brains.

Oh lol. Yeah, I've seen him recommend the Zeitgeist movie.

Did u browse thru his recent posts from profile, or how u found that microchip thingy?