By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Famitsu gives Super mario Sluggers a 29/40(average) OUCH!

Pristine20 said:
NJ5 said:
Fortunately, I care neither for Famitsu reviews nor for this game.

Ditto that

x3 T-T 

SSBB FC: 5155 2671 4071 elgefe02: "VGChartz's Resident Raving Rabbit"   MKWii:5155-3729-0989

Around the Network

Oh noes! not another one :0

Words Of Wisdom said:
DTG said:
I hope this bombs.

It's about time consumers stop buying over milked shovelware like this. You're simply validating the 60$ price tag of such garbage by purchasing it which in turn translates to more low budget spin off utter suckling enndeavors like this being made at the expense of new, original IP's.

I wouldn't buy this at 5$ regardless of how well it is made (which past experiences tell us it wasn't) because I'd just be encouraging more future rape of Mario.

That fact that you're listing a $60 price (the price of PS3/360 games, not Wii games) means that you will never buy it anyway and probably have no interest in this title at all. Not knowing the price of a Wii game also indicates that you either don't own a Wii or are very ignorant of game pricing overall.

The fact that you believe that this is shovelware (not to be confused with the likes of Ninjabread Man, Anubis, and Petz) shows that you know nothing about the game itself and have no rational reason behind criticism against it.

And you want to start a review website? L.O.L.

Listing it at 60 was my mistake. It doesn't change the point of what I was saying however.

If you are satisfied with seeing Mario appear in nearly every genre of gaming then that's fine. Most people however would rather Nintendo invest it's money into creating original IP's, implementing Voice Acting or addressing the storage problem. In fact considering the amount of Mario Platformers that the SNES era saw it speaks volumes that we have only recieved 3 traditional console Mario platformers these past 12 years while Nintendo milks it's Mario sports iterations dry each and every year.

If these titles were actually of high quality it would soften the blow however most of them feature utterly dumbed down gameplay mechanics when compared to the sports they are named after. These games cost a fraction of what a game such as TP (sold at the same price mind you). Pradoxically they require the work of dozens of Nintendo developers who could be spending their time making original IP's or sequels to big budget games.

The fact that I am making a website won't deter me from voicing my opinions regardless of their (un) popularity. If you facts in bullet points there are plenty of sites out there catering to you.

I own every Nintendo console including the Virtual Boy but that doen't change the fact that Nintendo's business direction, while sensible from a stockholders point of view is a slap in the face for gamers expecting the same sort of investment into innovative and up to date software as Nintendo has made into Innovative hardware.

DTG said:

Listing it at 60 was my mistake. It doesn't change the point of what I was saying however.

If you are satisfied with seeing Mario appear in nearly every genre of gaming then that's fine. Most people however would rather Nintendo invest it's money into creating original IP's, implementing Voice Acting or addressing the storage problem. In fact considering the amount of Mario Platformers that the SNES era saw it speaks volumes that we have only recieved 3 traditional console Mario platformers these past 12 years while Nintendo milks it's Mario sports iterations dry each and every year.

If these titles were actually of high quality it would soften the blow however most of them feature utterly dumbed down gameplay mechanics when compared to the sports they are named after. These games cost a fraction of what a game such as TP (sold at the same price mind you). Pradoxically they require the work of dozens of Nintendo developers who could be spending their time making original IP's or sequels to big budget games.

The fact that I am making a website won't deter me from voicing my opinions regardless of their (un) popularity. If you facts in bullet points there are plenty of sites out there catering to you.

I own every Nintendo console including the Virtual Boy but that doen't change the fact that Nintendo's business direction, while sensible from a stockholders point of view is a slap in the face for gamers expecting the same sort of investment into innovative and up to date software as Nintendo has made into Innovative hardware.

Look past Mario for a moment and focus on Nintendo.  This is less about rehashing Mario and more about Nintendo covering every possible genre.  Nintendo is getting footholds everywhere and sinking is teeth into as many genres as possible.  Mario is a vehicle more than anything which gives a Nintendo game some automatic selling power but it does so because of what Mario represents.  The key is that, despite the massive number of games he appears in, Mario does not represent shovelware.  It would be one thing to condemn Mario's use were it more like Sonic appearing in crappy game after crappy game, but Mario actually leaves his mark on numerous good games.   That's not necessarily good in my opinion or yours but by and large people recognize Mario's games as being good.

You condemn Nintendo for spreading into other genres while not rehashing its own which is entirely ironic.  Nintendo does what it does well.  Mario obliterates platformers but Nintendo works long and hard to make sure that their lead Mario title is amazing.  It's easier to pull a rabbit out of your hat when you have 4 year spans to go out and find that rabbit than every year and a half after all.  Compare Nintendo to Blizzard.  Blizzard is the king of RTS yet how many RTS have they released?   And recently?  They spend a long time fleshing out their games and their games are awesome because of that.  If you expect either company to shovel their flagship titles into the marketplace over and over like some other developers, you fail to understand who they are.

It's not that your opinion is unpopular but moreso that it's ignorant and judgmental (one of the worst possible combinations).  If you can't be more objective and look for a wider understanding of your subject, whatever you endeavor in will fail.

Also, it is the mark of a fanboy to defend his opinions by saying "Well I own all these systems."  Ownership of a company's product does not somehow make all your opinions into facts and it never will. 

*bleu-ocelot* said:
Do they have a Mario BasketBall? That would be a hit.

one of the worst games i ever played.

"If new things are so great, where have they been the whole time?"

Around the Network

Well Famitsu rates games on their hype... not how good they are.... and this game has like... no hype.

DTG said:
Words Of Wisdom said:
DTG said:
I hope this bombs.

It's about time consumers stop buying over milked shovelware like this. You're simply validating the 60$ price tag of such garbage by purchasing it which in turn translates to more low budget spin off utter suckling enndeavors like this being made at the expense of new, original IP's.

I wouldn't buy this at 5$ regardless of how well it is made (which past experiences tell us it wasn't) because I'd just be encouraging more future rape of Mario.

That fact that you're listing a $60 price (the price of PS3/360 games, not Wii games) means that you will never buy it anyway and probably have no interest in this title at all. Not knowing the price of a Wii game also indicates that you either don't own a Wii or are very ignorant of game pricing overall.

The fact that you believe that this is shovelware (not to be confused with the likes of Ninjabread Man, Anubis, and Petz) shows that you know nothing about the game itself and have no rational reason behind criticism against it.

And you want to start a review website? L.O.L.

The only Nintendo franchise that come every year is Mario Party.

wait what?

nintendogs got a 40/40????

lol wtf! thats cool though

Proud member of the Fierce Fox Force.

"I strike spurs onto my Wii controller. And against Sony and MS I fling myself,
unvanquished and unyielding. 'O Wii!!!"

-The Nintendian Philosophy

Seriously, Mario Kart is tearing up the sales charts with a metascore of 82. Wii Sports has won the generation for Nintendo with a metascore of 76.

Reviewers simply aren't as relevant as they wish they were.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

Words Of Wisdom said:
DTG said:

Look past Mario for a moment and focus on Nintendo. This is less about rehashing Mario and more about Nintendo covering every possible genre. Nintendo is getting footholds everywhere and sinking is teeth into as many genres as possible. Mario is a vehicle more than anything which gives a Nintendo game some automatic selling power but it does so because of what Mario represents. The key is that, despite the massive number of games he appears in, Mario does not represent shovelware. It would be one thing to condemn Mario's use were it more like Sonic appearing in crappy game after crappy game, but Mario actually leaves his mark on numerous good games. That's not necessarily good in my opinion or yours but by and large people recognize Mario's games as being good.

The fact that as you say Mario is a vehicle of Nintendo's to set a foothold in every genre illustrates their philosophy of exploiting their most iconic character for inflated profits. It is also a cop out from investing into decent original characters, design and gameplay mechanics. They simply adapt the Mario universe and place it into a severely dumbed down sporting context while selling this low budget adaption at full price. It may score decently (though scoring between 7-8 is lower than any standalone Mario platformer would stand for) but it also deters Nintendo from investing into new IP's and very basic aspects such as VA's, proper online community etc -Because they can make a large sum of money with minimal investment.

You condemn Nintendo for spreading into other genres while not rehashing its own which is entirely ironic. Nintendo does what it does well. Mario obliterates platformers but Nintendo works long and hard to make sure that their lead Mario title is amazing. It's easier to pull a rabbit out of your hat when you have 4 year spans to go out and find that rabbit than every year and a half after all. Compare Nintendo to Blizzard. Blizzard is the king of RTS yet how many RTS have they released? And recently? They spend a long time fleshing out their games and their games are awesome because of that. If you expect either company to shovel their flagship titles into the marketplace over and over like some other developers, you fail to understand who they are.

I never implied that I expect them to shovel their flagship titles into the marketplace -Considering that Nintendo is already doing that I am suggesting the complete opposite. Rather than make 1 Mario platformer every several years while allocating creative talent to milking the icon through several annual spin offs I'd rather see Nintendo design more traditional, quality high budget Mario Platformers as they did during the NES and SNES dera. Considering the philosophy behind the Wii is innovation I would also expect greater investment into original, innovative software. While Nintendo has done a great job of creating and marketing such games on the DS the Wii is still largely saturated by brand name first party games.

It's not that your opinion is unpopular but moreso that it's ignorant and judgmental (one of the worst possible combinations). If you can't be more objective and look for a wider understanding of your subject, whatever you endeavor in will fail.

Also, it is the mark of a fanboy to defend his opinions by saying "Well I own all these systems." Ownership of a company's product does not somehow make all your opinions into facts and it never will.

The reason I even mentioned owing all systems is because you said, I quote "Not knowing the price of a Wii game also indicates that you either don't own a Wii or are very ignorant of game pricing overall."