By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The real reason MS is buying JRPGs and other games Japenese player love

Slimebeast said:
Yes, there might be a dose of distruption strategy on MS' part, but you forget a whole lot of other reasons:

* MS is putting effort on having global simultaneous release of these JPRGs. It shows that they're treating JRPGs in a respectful way. That suggests they have a deeper plan than to just disrupt Sony.

* Most JRPG sales occur in the West, no matter what console.

* Many Japanese devs have expressed their interest to expand into the Western market (even more). They want a viable platform. It makes sense from both perspectives, not just for MS, to release some JRPGs for the X360.

* MS wants to build up a good reputation among Japanese devs, and gamers all over the world that it's to be taken seriously not just in this gen, but probably even more so for Xbox 3

* The need to broaden the game library. The X360 is today perceived as a hard-core/shooter platform, which is not good if you have a bigger plan.
 I agree with most of those points, though I think JRPG sales in Japan are roughly half for many series. I think that all these points lead to the major strategy for MS which is to defeat PS as a multimedia hub. Every inch of ground it gains is a big deal to them. All these factors will do ground gaining. So these factors fit in with thier big plan of stopping PS. Lastly, I don't think it is truly disruption, the systems are similar, I think its just competition. 

Now Playing: The Witcher (PC)

Consoles Owned: NES, SNES, N64, PS1, PS2, Wii, Xbox 360, Game Boy, DS

Around the Network
Slimebeast said:
Yes, there might be a dose of distruption strategy on MS' part, but you forget a whole lot of other reasons:

* MS is putting effort on having global simultaneous release of these JPRGs. It shows that they're treating JRPGs in a respectful way. That suggests they have a deeper plan than to just disrupt Sony.

* Most JRPG sales occur in the West, no matter what console.

* Many Japanese devs have expressed their interest to expand into the Western market (even more). They want a viable platform. It makes sense from both perspectives, not just for MS, to release some JRPGs for the X360.

* MS wants to build up a good reputation among Japanese devs, and gamers all over the world that it's to be taken seriously not just in this gen, but probably even more so for Xbox 3

* The need to broaden the game library. The X360 is today perceived as a hard-core/shooter platform, which is not good if you have a bigger plan.
I agree with your points for the most part but saying that most JRPGs sales are from the West is pushing it a little

If this is really Microsoft's big strategy, it's going to make a great case study in imperial overreach. Microsoft will have spent billions trying to keep Sony out of living room dominance only to have somebody else step in and snap up the market. Maybe it'll be Apple, maybe Nintendo, maybe somebody we haven't even considered.

You don't escape the bucket by spending all your time dragging other crabs down.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

Whatever plan they have got, its hurting sony

noooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!! how dare you not indicate there would be spoilers :@

"I like my steaks how i like my women.  Bloody and all over my face"

"Its like sex, but with a winner!"

MrBubbles Review Threads: Bill Gates, Jak II, Kingdom Hearts II, The Strangers, Sly 2, Crackdown, Zohan, Quarantine, Klungo Sssavesss Teh World, MS@E3'08, WATCHMEN(movie), Shadow of the Colossus, The Saboteur

Around the Network

They won´t make any impact this generation in Japan and will be the losers saleswise there, but in the next generation they will get more recognition in Japan. Just like when M$ started their console bussiness, they were the underdog and were losing money. Look at them now. If SCEJ sits idly, MS will probably be ahead of them in Japan in the next generation.

famousringo said:
If this is really Microsoft's big strategy, it's going to make a great case study in imperial overreach. Microsoft will have spent billions trying to keep Sony out of living room dominance only to have somebody else step in and snap up the market. Maybe it'll be Apple, maybe Nintendo, maybe somebody we haven't even considered.

You don't escape the bucket by spending all your time dragging other crabs down.

Who knows when or who will make the hub. I doubt nintendo is intent on making a multimedia hub. MS had to act though or PS would have had it. But the future is uncertain on who will eventually be the ultimate succesor.

Sorry for the spoilers, but it was best it came out I was the final cylon before i got outted, decreases my chances of being airlocked :P 

Now Playing: The Witcher (PC)

Consoles Owned: NES, SNES, N64, PS1, PS2, Wii, Xbox 360, Game Boy, DS

Slimebeast said:
Yes, there might be a dose of distruption strategy on MS' part

I wouldn't call it that, it's not a disruptive strategy at all.  They're competing for the exact same resources (JRPGs) and outspending to get them.

the2bears - the indie shmup blog

there makuing there presence in japan stronger i think in a couple of gens they will probably be n64 level in japan

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

Aiemond said:

I posted this on another thread but I think it deserves its own. This explains, imo, from a bussiness standpoint why MS is seemingly throwing away money in japan.

Yes. It does benifit MS and really thats the only winner here. I said in another thread though, this makes perfect sense for microsoft. And....its a winning strategy.

But MS is dead in Japan!

Yup, it is. And this is not going to save it. So why is MS shelling out all this cash? The same reason that it got in the console market in the first place. To prevent Sony from having a multimedia hub in the living room with little competition.

"But, they are loosing so much money!"

Yes, they are in the short term (and don't forget how much they have in other divisions). But to them, this is a win in the long term. They see Sony's big botch this generation and are on it like a shark that smells blood in the water. This is the generation that MS feels it can kill PS...or at least SEVERELY weaken it.

"How are they weakening it?"No one is buying xbox in Japan."

Well, they are doing this by preventing the popular games in Japan from being on the Sony system. Thus, Japanese owners have no interest in buying the PS3, especially when DS is so strong. And since many gaming trends begin in Japan, this may also trickle over to the other terretories as well. HD is strong here atm (compared to japan) but how long will that last? The fact is, MS considers anything that hurts the ps3 a win. If the PS3 died and the xbox died as well while the wii rose to the heavens MS would be ok with it. Thier goal for entering the console market would have been met. Of course, thier best case scenario is Xbox360 domination, but that is not the only "win" for them. So, no matter how it sells, MS sees buying major JRPGs for the 360 as a win by preventing Sony from having them, thereby leading to lower PS3 sales and thus preventing the PS brand from becoming a major living room multimedia hub. The End.

P.S. I'm the final cylon :P

And whats stopping nintendo from taking the playstation void with the wii 2. What would M$ do then? Throw more money away? Good luck to M$ shareholders, I guess Bill Gates is the only one who really counts

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler