By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - VGC Game Development Team

Blender looks good, though I've never had any experience with it.

As for the language that we use, I'd be all for Java, simply because that's the only programming language I know.

Around the Network

I think we should start with basic 2D and then try to enhance that, extra features, basic 3D and so on. We can learn from each other as we go along.

Anyway off to bed start work in 3 hours(damn it). This has kept me up to long. I will check in again before leaving the house to see what ideas you folks have come up with.

Stever89 said:
Blender looks good, though I've never had any experience with it.

As for the language that we use, I'd be all for Java, simply because that's the only programming language I know.

Java is good. OpenGL works smoothly on it and it's fairly easy to program for (far easier than C++). I have a question though: are we going to create our engine from scratch?

How many cups of darkness have I drank over the years? Even I don't know...

If we create our engine from scratch I'm still proposing we do a tiled, turn based rougelike game. This would mean the programming can start off simple (have a character move around a tiled screen) and then move into greater complexity.

Making a platform game in Java I get the feeling would be more difficult than programming a roguelike.

Rath said:
If we create our engine from scratch I'm still proposing we do a tiled, turn based rougelike game. This would mean the programming can start off simple (have a character move around a tiled screen) and then move into greater complexity.

Making a platform game in Java I get the feeling would be more difficult than programming a roguelike.

Hmmm. What is Rogue?

How many cups of darkness have I drank over the years? Even I don't know...

Around the Network
Godot said:
Rath said:

Hmmm. What is Rogue?

Rogue is a top-down ACSII dungeon crawler that literally spawned an entire genre of games. The mainstream game closest to a roguelike would be Diablo which is essentially a rougelike in realtime and with a few changed mechanics.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roguelike

That link pretty much explains them. I personally love roguelikes, favourite genre of games.

ssj12 said:
obieslut said:
ssj12 said:
Rath said:
Puzzle platformer sounds alright by me. Does anybody actually have enough experience in flash to do that kind of work though?

We really do need some people who actually have the talent to make a game if anything like this is ever going to actually work.

the puzzle game wont be in flash, there are 2 people on our team that are planning on doing a flash game and havent stated what their plans are as of yet.

The 2D game will be a bit more advanced. We have the coders so why limit our abilities?

so what program is going to be used for the puzzle game

im no dev but it will be java/openGL based. I'm not 100% what would be best ask our fellow game dev dawve answer.

Question for you guys though. What are your opinions on Blender?

Um, are you planning for people to make their own engine?  That's kind of a bad idea.  Seriously, our best bet would be to start with someone like Scrolling Game Dev and move onto some 3D engine and just modding it.

Hello, I'm in school for game development and am currently making a game with one of my other classmates. We hope to enter it into a contest and maybe when its close to completion we can give it to you guys to see what you think :)

Platinums: Red Dead Redemption, Killzone 2, LittleBigPlanet, Terminator Salvation, Uncharted 1, inFamous Second Son, Rocket League

so.... does this mean ioi will be a real game?

And that's the only thing I need is *this*. I don't need this or this. Just this PS4... And this gaming PC. - The PS4 and the Gaming PC and that's all I need... And this Xbox 360. - The PS4, the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360, and that's all I need... And these PS3's. - The PS4, and these PS3's, and the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360... And this Nintendo DS. - The PS4, this Xbox 360, and the Gaming PC, and the PS3's, and that's all *I* need. And that's *all* I need too. I don't need one other thing, not one... I need this. - The Gaming PC and PS4, and Xbox 360, and thePS3's . Well what are you looking at? What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - And this. That's all I need.

Obligatory dick measuring Gaming Laptop Specs: Sager NP8270-GTX: 17.3" FULL HD (1920X1080) LED Matte LC, nVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M, Intel Core i7-4700MQ, 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3, 750GB SATA II 3GB/s 7,200 RPM Hard Drive

Strategyking92 said:
so.... does this mean ioi will be a real game?

Oh hell yes.