By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo GameCube > Wii

Snesboy said:

Well, after putting up with the bullshit known as Wii for the past year and a half or so, I finally decided to call it quits and go back to the Nintendo GameCube.

Let's see how I got to this point.

Back in 2005, I was completely stoked about the Revolution that was until, the controller was revealed. Then I found out it was motion-sensitive and I am like SAH-WEET!!! So a few more months passed and the first Revolution screens were shown of "Red Steel". I am all like "DAMN! I WANT THIS NOW!!" So wait a couple of weeks and then Nintendo unveils the official name: Wii. I was like "What the f*** are they thinking??!!"

Names are only important with respect to branding and sales figures. Wii has therefore been a success.

Now this is around the time E3 2006 rolls around and Nintendo blows open the doors of everything Wii related. Super Mario Galaxy. Metroid Prime 3. Zelda: Twilight Princess. Disaster. Wii Sports. Project HAMMER. Super Smash Bros. Brawl. The list goes on. My reaction was: "There is no way Nintendo is going to lose next console war."

The Gamecube lineup was almost as good as the Wii one, yet the Gamecube failed in terms of sales. Nintendo may not have lasted another Gamecube or worse - they need the casual sales to fund the development of the practically niche, non-system-selling games like Metroid.

Unfortunately, I was right. Why? The Wii has just become a breeding ground for crap. AND DON'T BLAME UBISOFT YOU HATERS!!!! I blame Nintendo for the amount of crap they have let flood onto their system.

O RLY? You don't have to buy it. Whether Nintendo allows a game or not, it doesn't cost you. It only increases Nintendo's profit, which indirctly benefits you per Metroid.

Then I got the Wii that fall and I was like "This is effing sweet!" I played countless matches of Wii Sports Bowling. Then I didn't get any games for the longest time. Why? There weren't any good games. Sure there was SMG and MP3:C but those came out months after launch. SSBB was a disappointment especially how they nerfed all the characters and all that and made DeDeDe godly. Which is bullshit.

The speed at which games are released has been FASTER than the Gamecube. What did you want from SSBB that wasn't in Melee? You expected something that would impress you. yet you couldn't think of anything specific that could improve Melee. You gave Nintendo an impossible task.

Anyways, I got Guitar Hero 3 (just like every other Wii owner!!!) and it was awesome. I was mad that the disc was faulty and all with no surround sound. So I sent in my disc to be replaced. I get it back 2 months later and then I have it a couple weeks and it gets scratched. Every time I put it in the Wii, after I play one or two songs it brings up the dreaded "Disc Read Error" and I get pissed off. Since this is my most played game on the Wii and I can't play it without bullshit occuring, I have just decided to call it quits. That and a significant amount of other factors:

Send it back. All consoles and games have faults for small sections of the population. Gamecube was no better.

1) Virtual Console: Where the hell is GoldenEye 007? Where is Majora's Mask? Where is Road Rash 64? WHERE THE HELL ARE THE N64 GAMES IN GENERAL?!?! COME ON!!

And were they availible immediately for Gamecube? No? Then why was GC better?

2) USB 2.0 ports: They are there why the hell can't I save files onto a USB Memory Stick? Why can't I print pictures off of the Photo Channel? Why are they even there to begin with?!?

It is NOT a PC. This is Nintendo's policy. Look at wheer being a PC got the 360 and PS3.

3) Photo Channel: Why can't QuickTime movies play in that p.o.s Photo Channel even though it says they can play? Why can't I play .mp3 files like I used to be able to?

It is NOT a PC. This is Nintendo's policy. Look at where being a PC got the 360 and PS3. 

4) Ethernet Port: WHY ISN'T THERE ONE ON HERE?!

It is NOT a PC. This is Nintendo's policy. Look at whee being a PC got the 360 and PS3. 

5) Why can't I save Wii files to a GameCube memory card?

Were the N64's compatible with the GC?

6) Why aren't all my GameCube accessories compatible with the Wii?

Were the N64's compatible with the GC?

7) Why is the system made of cheap-as-a-whore plastic?

Has it broke yet? Did you want to pay $20 per Wii more for shinier plastic? 

8) Why can't games load more quickly? It is the successor to the 'Cube after all

The games are more complex and detailed but disc technology has not improved significantly. Compared to similar quality games on PS3 and Xbox 360, it loads much faster.

9) Why isn't there any voice chat?

It is NOT a PC. This is Nintendo's policy. Look at where being a PC got the 360 and PS3. Also, it encouraged families to buy it. This is where Nintendo makes money, and benefits you per Metroid.

10) Why are the controllers way over-priced?

They're not. The technology is state of the art.

11) Where the hell are the good games? What happened to Disaster? And Project HAMMER? And Pikmin 3?

The speed at which games are released has been FASTER than the Gamecube.

12) Since when does "Third Party Support" equate to "Shovelware"?

You don't have to buy it. Whether Nintendo allows a game or not, it doesn't cost you. It only increases Nintendo's profit, which indirctly benefits you per Metroid.

The thing with GameCube is all it does is play games. And it does that damn well. The Wii offers all these features but it gimps you when you get to take a closer look. It's better to not have the features at all then to know they are there and have them gimped.

It is NOT a PC. This is Nintendo's policy. Look at where being a PC got the 360 and PS3. 

Nintendo better have something effing amazing at E3 2008. Or I will stick beside my uber-PC and slick-n-silver 'Cube.

The speed at which games are released has been FASTER than the Gamecube. It is NOT a PC. This is Nintendo's policy. Look at where being a PC got the 360 and PS3. 

What are your thoughts?

Around the Network

This thread is a joke... not a "HAHAHA" one.

*Shakes his head....*
Oh lord. Epic Fail Guy was just failed at being the most failing thing on the planet... You have surpassed him...
Oh, don't cry EFG, no, no shh shh... Just be quiet, you can be the best at being the worst again... Shhh... It'll get better soon buddy...
You see what you do? HUH? GO FALL IN A HOLE!!!
Calm down, EFG, calm down...

My SNES cart won't fit in my Wii, Nintendo once again ripped us off.
And whats up with this new 'wireless internet'? Witchcraft.
Boycott NINTENDO!

I own all of lastgen systems as of October 2008. (Finally got a Dreamcast)

I own every currentgen system except PS3.

Man...

I would say something, but at this point it would be like kicking a puppy or something...

Around the Network
Snesboy said:

1) Virtual Console: Where the hell is GoldenEye 007? Where is Majora's Mask? Where is Road Rash 64? WHERE THE HELL ARE THE N64 GAMES IN GENERAL?!?! COME ON!!

2) USB 2.0 ports: They are there why the hell can't I save files onto a USB Memory Stick? Why can't I print pictures off of the Photo Channel? Why are they even there to begin with?!?

3) Photo Channel: Why can't QuickTime movies play in that p.o.s Photo Channel even though it says they can play? Why can't I play .mp3 files like I used to be able to?

8) Why can't games load more quickly? It is the successor to the 'Cube after all

11) Where the hell are the good games? What happened to Disaster? And Project HAMMER? And Pikmin 3?

So you're going back to Gamecube based on these bullet points?   All too easy.

1. GoldenEye 007 has IP and license issues that will prevent it from ever seeing a VC release.  N64 gmaes can take up to 32 MB's each so they are withholding their release until the mass storage solution is dealt with.

2. They have plenty of use for peripherals, keyboards, mice, etc...  Does the GC have USB ports for storage?

3. I'm playing both.  Upgrade your firmware or something.   Does the GameCube allow MP3's and MOV's to be played on it?

4. Wi-Fi, ever hear of it?  Did you see what was required to use the GameCube ehternet port and how many games did it support?

5. Different file formats.  How does this dimish your Wii gaming experience?

6. Not all legacy peripherals can be supported with future standards.  This goes for all electronics.

7. Mine fell from 4 feet up and still played the disc insde and nothing broke.   Must be a tough whore.  Perhaps you should take better care of your Wii.  Again, how is this diminishing yrou Wii expereince?

8. Many titles are PS2 ports which unfortunately carry over load times.  It's also a change from the mini-DVD format to the full DVD9 format.   The larger size disc means the laser must move around more.

9. It's already in development.  They are waiting to implement a new mass storage device plus sign a contract with a blue tooth headset provider.   Besides, did GameCube offer voice chat?

10. You might want to do some research on what goes into those controllers.  They have accelerometer, IR sensors, RAM, peripheral adapters, Blu Tooth and more.

11. There are plenty of good games with more on the way.  GameCubes first year or two wasn't explosive either.

12. Stop looking at the bad half of the 3rd party support and look at the good half.  You must have missed all the shovelware on the NES, SNES, PS, PS2, GB, DS and PC.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

more cat pictures

i thought this thread was missing something but not anymore

Snesboy said:

A) SSBB was a disappointment especially how they nerfed all the characters and all that and made DeDeDe godly. Which is bullshit.

B) Every time I put it in the Wii, after I play one or two songs it brings up the dreaded "Disc Read Error" and I get pissed off. Since this is my most played game on the Wii and I can't play it without bullshit occuring, I have just decided to call it quits. That and a significant amount of other factors:

A) If you think Brawl is nerfed, you need to be smacked. This is teh first time I've ever felt like the game has some honest balance

B) Take a can of compressed air and blow it into the drive, or get one of those disc cleaner things that has the cd but with the soft cloth on the bottom. I don't know what you've done to get the lens dirty, but that's pretty much what that particular problem has been traced to.

1) Liscencing rights for Golden Eye, Major's Mask had a port to Gamecube that ended up going buggy, I'd rather they fix it and give a non buggy version than try to rush it. I dunno about Road Rash or whatever, Maybe no one cares about that except for you.

2) I'm pretty sure they're working on the usb ports, chill out. There were plenty of ports on the N64 and Gamecube that didn't ever get used at all. As for the photo channel, what the hell, you want to hook a printer up to your Wii? Why?

3) It's called the PHOTO channel, not the MOVIE channel. Also, if you want to play mp3s or whatever, I think you just need to delete the photo channel from the Wii memory, it'll revent back to the old channel that can play MP3s

4) You remember question #2? Well, there's a USB to Ethernet adaptor for those people without wireless networks, congratulations.

5) What the hell is the point of saving Wii files to your gamecube memory cards? Are you retarded?

6) Because it's a Wii system, not a gamecube. I'd like to see you try to get every PS2 accessory to work on the PS3 without needing a hacked together adapter of some sort

7) Because you're a cheap plastic whore

8) To teach you patience, go play the PS3 or 360 and see how well their instl times run you

9) Most people have a telephone. use that. If your'e talking in game voice chat, it's very simple. I don't want to have to listen to people bitching as I kick their ass.

10) Overpriced? What are you on about?

11) They made way for games that a lot of people are demanding, lik eSmash Bros and Mario Kart, not just games that you want

12) Since developers started designing for standard SNES/PS2 set up controllers and don't know two shits about how to use motion controls.

There you go, questions answered.

Seppukuties is like LBP Lite, on crack. Play it already!

Currently wrapped up in: Half Life, Portal, and User Created Source Mods
Games I want: (Wii)Mario Kart, Okami, Bully, Conduit,  No More Heroes 2 (GC) Eternal Darkness, Killer7, (PS2) Ico, God of War1&2, Legacy of Kain: SR2&Defiance

My Prediction: Wii will be achieve 48% market share by the end of 2008, and will achieve 50% by the end of june of 09. Prediction Failed.

<- Click to see more of her

You people make me sick.

You have all been feeding an obvious troll!

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Snesboy said:
TheSource said:

Wii can play all Gamecube games and has VC games from the NES, SNES, N64, Genesis, Turbografx, and now there is Wii Ware.

Since the library is more expansive I never really understand why people say GC>Wii. Wii plays GC games, Gamecube doesn't play Wii games.

If you say 'Wii games are worse than Gamecube games' thats potentially logical.

What it really boils down too is that some people are pissed at Nintendo's change in direction, even though its essentially an attempt to recreate the NES with lessons learned from PS2. 

TheSource. Ever so wise.

GameCube plays GameCube games better though. Loads them faster lol.

No, it doesn't. The Wii's disc drive is much faster; you can't even perform the Black Hole Glitch on Melee anymore when Melee is played on the Wii. And when I played Pokemon Colosseum and Pokemon XD: Gale of Darkness, the framerate was SO MUCH faster than on the GCN. Especially Colosseum, because those battles dragged on forever, until I played the game on the Wii instead of the GCN.

And quit complaining that the GCN is much better than the Wii, because it isn't. You can play your GCN games on there, so there's no need to play the GCN anymore. My GCN is in my dresser drawer in my bedroom right now, so what does that tell you?