By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
Euphoria14 said:

There is your problem. What you think AAA means is wrong. Look at his PS2 list. According to you that entire list is not AAA.

AAA is only determined by those who purchase the game. Not some site like Metacritic or Gamerankings that majority of the gaming population couldn't care less about.

You really think having more 90+ rated games means a system is better? Even when those ratings are done by people who's taste differ from the OP?

You know how many games were rated 90+ and recieved the all mighty AAA status and wind up sucking hard? We all know reviews can't be trusted these days so the AAA argument is moot.

He also enjoys RPG's from what I have seen and the PS2 library blows away any RPG released on the 360 thus far, and I know as a life long RPG fan and owner of just about each mediocre to high quality 360 offering at the moment.

Leaving aside the argument over Metacritic, where have I said he shouldn't buy a PS2?

I've said (a million times now) that he should buy a 360 now and purchase a Ps2 after the price drop?

Oh, and you should answer Squilliam's response to your post. 

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

Around the Network
starcraft said:
Euphoria14 said:

There is your problem. What you think AAA means is wrong. Look at his PS2 list. According to you that entire list is not AAA.

AAA is only determined by those who purchase the game. Not some site like Metacritic or Gamerankings that majority of the gaming population couldn't care less about.

You really think having more 90+ rated games means a system is better? Even when those ratings are done by people who's taste differ from the OP?

You know how many games were rated 90+ and recieved the all mighty AAA status and wind up sucking hard? We all know reviews can't be trusted these days so the AAA argument is moot.

He also enjoys RPG's from what I have seen and the PS2 library blows away any RPG released on the 360 thus far, and I know as a life long RPG fan and owner of just about each mediocre to high quality 360 offering at the moment.

Leaving aside the argument over Metacritic, where have I said he shouldn't buy a PS2?

I've said (a million times now) that he should buy a 360 now and purchase a Ps2 after the price drop?

Oh, and you should answer Squilliam's response to your post. 

I know you said he should buy a PS2, but if he wants a PS3 at some point as well, why pay $400 for a PS3 and $130 for a PS2 when he can get both for $500 and have the PS2 problem taken care of as well as his wanting for a BluRay player?

Other than him wanting Banjo, the 360 makes no sense. No 360 RPG at the moment is worth a system purchase.

Honestly if he wants a 360, he should wait for a price drop. I see one possibly this holiday since it hasn't dropped in forever.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

starcraft said:
Euphoria14 said:
starcraft said:
whatever said:
starcraft said:
Hawkeye said:

Dammit... PS3 would be better to get in 09 as an Xmas present but it has a blu ray player and other stuff. May be I should just work all summer at a part time job and save up and get both lol. Except then I wouldnt have time to ever play those 45 PS2 games :(

A cash gift of $2000 would solve my problem :)

Honestly, if the 360 has two to three times the games you want and money is an issue, its a no-brainer.

The PS3 is currently very over-priced. Ask for it in 2009 as a christmas gift. Or buy one late next year when its cheaper and some of the big games Darth keeps talking about are actually out.

Sorry, but you can't make foolish statements like this and expect people to take your opinion seriously. The fact that Sony is still losing money on the console means, by definition, that it is not overpriced.

What is overpriced is the 360 elite and the 360 hardrives. Its ridiculous that you need to spend $180 for a 120 GB HDD when a standard 250 GB HDD is less than $100.

I agree that 360 HDD are overpriced. Given I was talking about games, the Ps3 is massively overpriced from a consumer perspective. As a consumer, neither I nor any other consumers should be concerned with what Sony gets out of the transaction.

Any possible way to prove PS3 is overpriced?

Last I checked the lowest model PS3 was $400 and still offered more than the $350 360 that also requires another $50 for online making it not only the same price, but without the BluRay, WiFi, Remote play, Free online, the list goes on.

In actuality, whether you believe it or not, 360 is more overpriced than the PS3.

Mention the arcade and it gets even worse considering a 20GB 360 HDD is what? $100? Still making it inferior to the PS3 in terms of what it offers.

The price argument has been invalid for a long time bro.

Then what happens if the 40GB does indeed get BC? Don't say it won't either. PS2 after enough time ran PS1 games on software only. As it does with the PS3 now.

Want to know what overpriced is? Wii is sold for profit, 360 is sold for profit. PS3 is sold at a loss, meaning it is not possible to say it is overpriced.

Also in terms of library at the moment, it is all a matter of opinion.

Read my post.  I was talking about games.  Given the PS3 has only just gotten (MGS4) one AAA exclusive and is still at a minimum of $400 (but they are trying to talk him into buying the $500 one), it is massively overpriced.

Overpriced doesn't refer to how much a company does or doesn't make, it refers the the value a consumer can get from a purchase IMO. 

Saying "no AAA" doesn't give it's lineup justice. Mass Effect has 91% while Uncharted has 89.9%, but Uncharted doesn't get counted as one of these top lineup games while Mass Effect gets AAA treatement, when the difference in score is practically nothing.

How many times does it need to be said: setting an arbitrary number to distinguish AAA games from non-AAA games is absolutely ridiculous. AAA is in the eye of the beholder.

Edit: Read AJhabfan, as his example is much better than mine was 

Squilliam said:
Euphoria14 said:
starcraft said:
whatever said:
starcraft said:
Hawkeye said:

Dammit... PS3 would be better to get in 09 as an Xmas present but it has a blu ray player and other stuff. May be I should just work all summer at a part time job and save up and get both lol. Except then I wouldnt have time to ever play those 45 PS2 games :(

A cash gift of $2000 would solve my problem :)

Honestly, if the 360 has two to three times the games you want and money is an issue, its a no-brainer.

The PS3 is currently very over-priced. Ask for it in 2009 as a christmas gift. Or buy one late next year when its cheaper and some of the big games Darth keeps talking about are actually out.

Sorry, but you can't make foolish statements like this and expect people to take your opinion seriously. The fact that Sony is still losing money on the console means, by definition, that it is not overpriced.

What is overpriced is the 360 elite and the 360 hardrives. Its ridiculous that you need to spend $180 for a 120 GB HDD when a standard 250 GB HDD is less than $100.

I agree that 360 HDD are overpriced.  Given I was talking about games, the Ps3 is massively overpriced from a consumer perspective.  As a consumer, neither I nor any other consumers should be concerned with what Sony gets out of the transaction. 

Any possible way to prove PS3 is overpriced?

Last I checked the lowest model PS3 was $400 and still offered more than the $350 360 that also requires another $50 for online making it not only the same price, but without the BluRay, WiFi,  Remote play, Free online, the list goes on.

In actuality, whether you believe it or not, 360 is more overpriced than the PS3.

Mention the arcade and it gets even worse considering a 20GB 360 HDD is what? $100?  Still making it inferior to the PS3 in terms of what it offers.

The price argument has been invalid for a long time bro.

Then what happens if the 40GB does indeed get BC? Don't say it won't either. PS2 after enough time ran PS1 games on software only. As it does with the PS3 now.

Want to know what overpriced is? Wii is sold for profit, 360 is sold for profit. PS3 is sold at a loss, meaning it is not possible to say it is overpriced.

Blu Ray = Non issue. Seriously if I don't care and I sit 4-6 feet away from a 53" Sony 1080p LCD, and im a bit of a graphics whore.... Why should he?

You can go on and on about free online but its a lonely experience online if his friends are on Live now isnt it?

Games will be cheaper for him if he can borrow some of his friends back catalogue, so he can play a lot of games for essentially free and the biggest cost of a system is actually the games you buy for it.

It doesn't matter if the list price for the PS3 is lower after you add in all the "extra value features" But isn't the point of a gaming machine - playing games and having fun. Since he likes the 360 controller more and has friends with Xbox360s - You have friends you play with online I hope? The value of the machine would be far greater than the PS3. I personally would hate to be the one with the odd machine out.

Value =/= price divided by features.

Read his post. He already stated he wants the BD player.

Argument is already over. You can't use the fact that you don't care for BD as a reason for him not wanting a PS3...how can you say that if you don't care why should he? Last I checked... your not him... I LOL'd at that comment.

Also BTW.... not everyone plays online. He already stated he wouldn't get the online until possibly later this year, so another point of your shot. He stated not being able to play with his friends is the least of his worries.

Read the OP.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Around the Network
Euphoria14 said:

I know you said he should buy a PS2, but if he wants a PS3 at some point as well, why pay $400 for a PS3 and $130 for a PS2 when he can get both for $500 and have the PS2 problem taken care of as well as his wanting for a BluRay player?

Other than him wanting Banjo, the 360 makes no sense. No 360 RPG at the moment is worth a system purchase.

Honestly if he wants a 360, he should wait for a price drop. I see one possibly this holiday since it hasn't dropped in forever.

I can't believe you attacked me for a lack of objectivity.  No 360 RPG justifies a purchase?  Mass Effect, Oblivion, Fable 2 and Two Worlds (post-patch) say hi.  Lost Odyssey, Blue Dragon,  Infinite Undiscovery, Tales and Eternal Sonata say hi.  These will all be out within a few months, and I've missed a TONNE!!!!

The PS2 is just as likely as the 360 to get a price dropm whereas the PS3 is unlikely to get one for ages.  In any case, a 360 pro + PS2 is cheaper than a backward-compatible PS3 with a far superior combined game library due to the PS3's strengths.  If all the PS3's great RPG's arn't going to be out for 18-24 months, he should wait until then when Sony will have dropped the price once or twice. 

Euphoria14 said:

Read his post. He already stated he wants the BD player.

Argument is already over. You can't use the fact that you don't care for BD as a reason for him not wanting a PS3...

Also BTW.... not everyone plays online. He already stated he wouldn't get the online until possibly later this year, so another point of your shot. He stated not being able to play with his friends is the least of his worries.

Read the OP.

He said a Blu-Ray player isn't as important as games.  He rated wanting it as 6 out of 10.  HE said and I quote "there is at least twice or even three times as many games I want on the 360."  Where in the OP does he say friends owning 360's is the least of his worries?  HE lists friends owning 360s as a PRO for 360 and a CON for PS3.

The argument is far from over if your continuing to qualify the PS3's lower game appeal to the OP with "its got Blu-Ray." 

BCNR34 said:
i see a starcraft ban coming.
IMO he was just trying to help the person make his decision, moreso than the likes of Darth who was trying to force the OP into picking the PS3. >_>

Brawl FC: 0473 - 7465 - 0612

starcraft said:
Euphoria14 said:

I can't believe you attacked me for a lack of objectivity.  No 360 RPG justifies a purchase?  Mass Effect, Oblivion, Fable 2 and Two Worlds (post-patch) say hi.  Lost Odyssey, Blue Dragon,  Infinite Undiscovery, Tales and Eternal Sonata say hi.  These will all be out within a few months, and I've missed a TONNE!!!!

The PS2 is just as likely as the 360 to get a price dropm whereas the PS3 is unlikely to get one for ages.  In any case, a 360 pro + PS2 is cheaper than a backward-compatible PS3 with a far superior combined game library due to the PS3's strengths.  If all the PS3's great RPG's arn't going to be out for 18-24 months, he should wait until then when Sony will have dropped the price once or twice. 

I didn't attack you directly. If you take the time to read my post you will realize I wrote "personally".

Maybe the last post I wrote didn't say it as I felt no need to repeat myself but I said this in my OP.

Personally to me, in terms of what he is looking for, 80GB PS3 is the way to go.

Meaning all of what I write is my opinion. Although thanks for twisting my words though. ;) I wrote that right after this, which you are also questioning me on.

I don;t see why people would tell the OP to spend $130 on a PS2 and $350 on a 360. Way to spend $480. $20 more gets him his BD player for his HDTV, his entire list of PS2 games on the 80GB PS3 (which PS2 RPG lineup destroys the 360 lineup, no RPG is worth a system purchase right now).

I love how if someone makes a new post his old posts in the thread no longer exist.

Currently playing:

Valdens said:
BCNR34 said:
i see a starcraft ban coming.
IMO he was just trying to help the person make his decision, moreso than the likes of Darth who was trying to force the OP into picking the PS3. >_>

No idea where that idea came from, but I don't see anything ban worthy either. Only people who's opinions differ, which is perfectly ok. 

Currently playing: