By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Analysts Warn of "struggle" For xbox.

alephnull said:

famousringo said:

I find it pretty amusing that you defend these analysts as intellectuals, and then condemn this site for group-think. The historical record is pretty clear that every analysis published was drinking the same kool-aid before this generation launched. It's the Playstation brand, Playstation will win, Playstation is synonymous with console gaming. The joke is that 18 months later, they're just watering down the same debunked ideas rather than face the obvious empirical reality.

response:

Right, I recall an article from the economist on march 22, 2007 citing forcasts which are pretty much the same as these, no doubt some scenarios have ruled out and averages have been adjusted. You use new data to adjust your prior on each of your various models in your ensemble.

famousringo said:

There may be a fair number of people who sing the same song on this site, but they base their ideas on factual data, rather than denying facts in favour of prior assertions. Do you really think that this site has a more serious group-think problem than the analysts who release charts with numbers that don't even agree with current empirical data, let alone present reasonable future trends?

response:

Firstly, everyone commenting on how a forcast can predict a lower install base in a later year simply cannot be basing their idea on "facts" as they seem to be lacking "facts" involving non-linearity and monotonicity.

So far I see 0 variance on this site in relation to the correctness of this particular forcast. I suspect this is not the case with the models that exist out there. In fact, if all your fancy model does is predict the same thing everyone else's does what is your selling point.

What "factual data" do people on this site have exactly? You have console sales by region. That's it. No information on population growth or demographic shifts in key regions. No information on economic growth and changes in income distribution in key regions. No information on currency shifts. No estimates of agregate demand functions for each console.This forum only details the symptoms, but we are dealing with a hidden markov model here.

You assume that they are ignoring the sales data in their models. But really there is no proof of this, you guys just don't like their models.

famousringo said:

I always thought that part of being an intellectual was acknowledging when the facts don't fit the hypothesis and refining your theory. These guys just keep adjusting the facts and restating the same hypothesis.

response:

It maybe that this is what is happening, but I really see no proof of this.

Good post. I agree, Ensemble Forecasting is the likely cause of a negative sales value for a single time frame. 

However, your insistence that this is an HMM is a circuitous -- and not entirely accurate -- claim. Obviously all market trends are, in a way, like HMMs; we know what's selling, but we're never entirely sure why (this makes our example fundamentally different than an HMM, by definition, but let's relax the definition slightly since it's not too far off) We have possible reasons, however. 

Again, it is always true that we know what's selling, but can never precisely know the reasons why. This is particularly true when a product in a well defined industry disrupts the understood values of the market (in the case of video games, those understood values would be multimedia features, graphics, and online functionality). In such cases, I'm sure you're aware that concrete, empirical data is particuarly and emphatically relied upon, and that is the condition the video game industry is currently in. Therefore, while it is unfortunate that the site offers little insight into demographic shifts or economic growth/depression, those factors are of significantly less importance in a disruptive environment.

But again, it's certainly not insignificant, and it's important that you bring it up. If you have access to any of the aforementioned data, please do provide it! It would certainly help, and you do seem to be reasonably aware of the variables considered in operational forecasting. 

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

Around the Network

What people don't seem to realize is that during a paradigm shift the only people who matter are the people who can deliver to the new market.

Right now it is Nintendo and only Nintendo who can consistently do this.

Third parties really,really,really aren't that important at this point in time and it seems that they(third parties) know this and are being very pissy about it.

Prediction:
Disney will make KH3 with Nintendo.Yes,KH3 will be a Disney/Nintendo crossover.

Save the industry,Kill a Hardcore gamer

Stopped buying Ubisoft games.Will not buy Red Steel 2.Let them struggle on HD. Click here for a solution:CLICK
ALERT: I have also exposed a UBI'Z'OFT viral marketer in THIS thread.Read my posts, see the set up and watch how everything crumbles on page 8. Please learn from this experience.

Slimebeast said:
What a crappy discussion and analysis.

Have they even studied the sales numbers?

They're basically just repeating what the fools were saying in 2006:
- Sony has an incredible brand
- people hate Microsoft
- the Wii is a fad

Good summary.

alephnull said:The anti-intellectualism and evolving group-think on this site is likely worthy of a sociology phd thesis.

Haha. That's so true. 

I'm putting you on my list of interesting posters.

No, it's not going to stop  'Til you wise up
No, it's not going to stop  So just ... give up
- Aimee Mann

So can someone explain ensamble forecasting and how it applies to these proffessional video game sales prediction graphs, and the difference between installed base and unit sales, instead of being sarcastic.

Around the Network

Slimebeast said:

So can someone explain ensemble forecasting and how it applies to these professional video game sales prediction graphs, and the difference between installed base and unit sales, instead of being sarcastic.

response:

Although not quite correctly, I would describe ensemble forecasting as simply the use of a weighted average of forecasts. Now assume these forecasts have different variances and averages at each point in time and are skewed in some direction such that the median does not equal the mean (the risks are on the up/downside). You want to find the set of weight functions which reflect you confidence in a various models under various circumstances.

I don't know that this is being used here for video game sales prediction. But ensemble forecasting is in vogue for meteorology and market prediction and there is enough money involved for people to hopefully take things seriously enough to hire experts and it would explain the graph.

If you would like a more detailed explanation I would be happy to point you to the foundational literature or elaborate on anything specifically you are unclear about. Your level of mathematics training would also help me in any clarification.

Bodesatva said:

However, your insistence that this is an HMM is a circuitous -- and not entirely accurate -- claim. Obviously all market trends are, in a way, like HMMs; we know what's selling, but we're never entirely sure why (this makes our example fundamentally different than an HMM, by definition, but let's relax the definition slightly since it's not too far off) We have possible reasons, however. 

response:

You I must say have been a consistently insightful poster. And I am not just saying that to be nice. I am not that nice of a person.

You caught me. Kings to you. When I was initially typing that I new I wasn't being very clear -- or less generously promulgating outright false-hoods -- in the name of expediency. I admit a combination of arrogance and laziness conspired against what needed to be done.

You are correct, in that an HMM assumes you know all possible states of your hidden model and all possible variables to be completely accurate. Relaxations of this assumption exist, but I am not a big believer in them as the whole point of HMM is it's simplicity. The unrealistic assumptions of course don't stop there, for example it assumes your hidden variables have the Markov property. The point I was trying to make was the following:

1) Assume as is claimed we know accurately what all observable parameters are (I don't dispute that this is mostly true, I personally use vgchartz for investing).

2) Lets also assume we know what all the underlying variables are (ie. X1(Y) is the median utility derived from a console where Y=sup(the sequence of the "party" factor of all games on a system). Ok so technically we have a Hierarchical HMM, but it's not that different.

3) Hidden variables have the Markov property.

4) We know the parameters of hidden variables in the future. 

Even with all four of these -- a pretty generous set of assumptions -- unless someone on this forum is running some variation of the foward-backward algorithm they have no idea what the relative probabilities of sequences of future observations will be.

The distinction should be made between this and Kant's "unknown unknowns" which however can be dealt with in  an ensemble of HMM-like models with good old fashion PCA which only assumes the underlying "truth" of the universe does not change (if you have infinite samples).

Bodesatva said:

Again, it is always true that we know what's selling, but can never precisely know the reasons why.

response: 

Well the correct way of doing modeling this market would be using an ensemble method imho. The models which rely on prior knowledge would be combined with models derived from classifiers trained from past data (and using cross-validation to get a handle on what your error rate is) essentially allowing you to have a reasonable fall back when you leave the domain for which your "laws" are known to function reasonably. It's "just" a matter of optimizing -- in the L-infinity norm, but hey if it was easy everyone would do it -- your weights in your model. As you probably know neural networks (a scam imho), SVMs, and really just the plain old SVD (known that statisticians as PCA) all find optimal approximations of the underlying model without knowing anything beyond inputs and outputs. 

Bodesatva said:

This is particularly true when a product in a well defined industry disrupts the understood values of the market (in the case of video games, those understood values would be multimedia features, graphics, and online functionality). In such cases, I'm sure you're aware that concrete, empirical data is particularly and emphatically relied upon, and that is the condition the video game industry is currently in.

response:

I think these changes could easily have had more of an impact than any features. I don't think it is over the top to suggest that Japan's shrinking and aging population has effected the video game market there. Currency movements caused by a number of things such as faster relative growth and preemptive moves to wean EU states off of oil which has led to muted inflationary effects of recent oil spikes. Probably has had significant impact on the relative pricing and thus sales in EU countries. How about demographic shifts in percentages of english speakers. Notice how Microsoft (with not the greatest record when it comes to localization) seems to do better in english speaking countries and countries which in my experience have high levels of enliglish speakers. Sony seems to have always concentrated heavily on localization (an overlooked advantage of BR, but only after they did away with region locking). Look at Sony performance in the UK > Neatherlands > Italy. This seems at least as plausible as any sort of vague "brand" value theories.

Bodesatva said:

Therefore, while it is unfortunate that the site offers little insight into demographic shifts or economic growth/depression, those factors are of significantly less importance in a disruptive environment.

response:

warning non-rigorous rant-- you may want to skip

No? What if recession is causing many to opt out of the $2k gamming rig and pushing the cheap consoles.  Quite frankly I don't see the market as disruptive at all. I see each company having their own sales cycles all of which are weakly interacting. Adjusted for inflation all of the consoles are dirt cheap when compared to 1985 and are even cheaper as a percentage of disposable income. Hence demographics seems to allow for the peaceful coexistence of 3 consoles.

However something which could be considered disruptive is the slowing of advances in computer engineering. It happens to every field, we are running out of low hanging fruit (just look at pure math or physics for a glimpse of the future). That in my opinion is the real change this generation. If the generation last significantly longer, and more people can afford multiple systems, then who is to say that all three consoles wont continually switch off as "leader".

-- end rant -- 

I want to be clear that in no way am I attacking empiricism (at the moment :P). Nor again am I attacking this site, it does what it does well. I want to emphasis that. I have trolled this site for some time now and been constant witness to the truth of the saying "a little bit of knowledge in the wrong hangs can be a dangerous thing". At first sight of the two words "cherry picking" a sense of despair descends upon me. It's all very clock-work orange-ish.

Bodesatva said:

But again, it's certainly not insignificant, and it's important that you bring it up. If you have access to any of the aforementioned data, please do provide it! It would certainly help, and you do seem to be reasonably aware of the variables considered in operational forecasting. 

response:

I have no time to collect any of the data as it's publish or perish and I have a thesis to finish. I have a degree in economics and am currently pursing a phd in Computational Science specializing in HPC particularly with clustering algorithms. I do have experience working with forecasting models (fault prediction at IBM) and have dealt with some of the meteorological models people develop here. If someone wanted to go through the dirty work of collecting all the data from various sites and formating them in a nice way, I could dedicate some time to developing a decent forecasting model we are always looking for good applications of our fancy algorithms here.. We could probably get some decent publications out of it and it might even be worth something. Hell, you could probably turn it around and use videogame sales as a predictor for all matter of other things as well. Videogame sales as a predictor for interest rates, hmmm :P

PS: I apologize for the wall of text

Is there a cliff notes version of this post?

No, but there is a Schaum's outline for 19.99 US 25.99 Canadian

360 will do fine. It should sell at least 30 million units bare minimum, and at most sell 65 million if it somehow manages to take of in Japan...
360 stands to make more profit and have a larger market share than the xbox
PS3 stands to lose money or break even while the PS2 made billions, and PS3 is definitely not going to have the same market share as PS2. So who's struggling? (not saying PS3 is a bad gaming machine)

alephnull said:

Slimebeast said:

So can someone explain ensemble forecasting and how it applies to these professional video game sales prediction graphs, and the difference between installed base and unit sales, instead of being sarcastic.

response:

Although not quite correctly, I would describe ensemble forecasting as simply the use of a weighted average of forecasts. Now assume these forecasts have different variances and averages at each point in time and are skewed in some direction such that the median does not equal the mean (the risks are on the up/downside). You want to find the set of weight functions which reflect you confidence in a various models under various circumstances.

I don't know that this is being used here for video game sales prediction. But ensemble forecasting is in vogue for meteorology and market prediction and there is enough money involved for people to hopefully take things seriously enough to hire experts and it would explain the graph.

If you would like a more detailed explanation I would be happy to point you to the foundational literature or elaborate on anything specifically you are unclear about. Your level of mathematics training would also help me in any clarification.

Ok, I think I understand, but an example wouldn't have hurt. As om mathematics I've completed upper secondary technical school and I have one university course in statistics (just one term, in Sweden btw).

Anyway, so far you're using terms that are way above my level *(plus there's the language barrier).

*(in the rest of your post above, your reply to Bodesatva)

Also, I don't think you made clear the difference between unit sales and installed base. I thought it was consensus knowledge that when talking video console sales total unit sales = installed base.

BTW, the graph interpreted by many as "negative Wii sales" is not a big thing around here (on VGC). Most people thought it was an error and left it at that.

Of course we know that the analysts use intricate statistical models and factors such as shifting demographics and fluctuating economis to make their forecasts. But is that an excuse for their terrible outcomes? BTW, the article we are discussing uses arguments that we are able to understand and judge, and form an opinion about. If the experts are using words like "casuals", "strong brand" and "fad" we're automatically invited to the discussion and analysis, even if we're laymen here.