By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Analysts Warn of "struggle" For xbox.

What a bizarre article. Let's go around this logical loop one more time:

Analysts: "Most of continental Europe are casual gamers, they don't want this hardcore Halo stuff. They want casual games."
Response: "Oh, the Wii is going to dominate then."
Analysts: "No, that's too casual. It's probably a fad."
Response: "Oh, then the 360 should do well. It's very hardcore."
Analysts: "No, continental Europe are casual gamers."

And around and around we go! Apparently, the PS3 is perfect! It's the exact blend of casual and hardcore and it will take off and dominate everything! Frankly, I don't think of the PS3 as any less hardcore than the 360, and I have empircal evidence to support such claims; the top 4 best selling games on the PS3 are two FPS, one TPS, and a racing game. Guns and cars. If that's a casual system, I'll eat my hat.

And I love their analysis of the Wii. It's a fad: that's not new. But what's their evidence? A "feeling." That is the literal word used -- they get a "faddish feeling." Awesome. Glad these guys get paid for this stuff.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

Around the Network
Words Of Wisdom said:
FishyJoe said:

Analysts...

You just love the fact that the bars go down...

Holy crap, I didn't even catch that.

On topic, I've decided to change careers and become an analyst. I'd basically be doing what most forum posters do, but I'd be getting paid for my ramblings. How did I not see this sooner?

Although I don't agree with their views on the Wii, I do think that they do speak some truths about the 360 - especially when it comes to them discussing mainland Europe. But let's face it, everything that was agreeable was impeccibly obvious.

Bod: interesting point. They're definitely talking in circles, and predicting that the PS3 will sell more software in 2010 or 2011 than the Wii is predicated on the idea that the Wii will somehow stumble, and stumble badly.

You know, I have a new Xbox 360 (manufactured in April) and I'm just dieing for an excuse to use it. Right now, Mario Kart, Smash and Wii Fit are dominating my gaming, time, especially Kart, and I can't find a reason to play my 360. I've been thinking about Ninja Gaiden 2, but I recently picked up God of War 2 for $10 new, so we'll probably play through that first.

The analysts have a point, to an extent: beyond its core competencies the Xbox 360 doesn't have a great library. If you take sports, shooters and hardcore racers out (lots of people don't like those three genres) then there isn't much great exclusive gaming to have on that platform.

@Bod

Little Big Planet will change the perception of PS3

if the lazy ASS's at SONY advertise it well...

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Around the Network
TheBigFatJ said:
Bod: interesting point. They're definitely talking in circles, and predicting that the PS3 will sell more software in 2010 or 2011 than the Wii is predicated on the idea that the Wii will somehow stumble, and stumble badly.

You know, I have a new Xbox 360 (manufactured in April) and I'm just dieing for an excuse to use it. Right now, Mario Kart, Smash and Wii Fit are dominating my gaming, time, especially Kart, and I can't find a reason to play my 360. I've been thinking about Ninja Gaiden 2, but I recently picked up God of War 2 for $10 new, so we'll probably play through that first.

The analysts have a point, to an extent: beyond its core competencies the Xbox 360 doesn't have a great library. If you take sports, shooters and hardcore racers out (lots of people don't like those three genres) then there isn't much great exclusive gaming to have on that platform.

Aren't those the exact same games wii is struggling with? And it seems to be doing fine. You don't have to cover all bases to be a success...

Bodhesatva said:

What a bizarre article. Let's go around this logical loop one more time:

Analysts: "Most of continental Europe are casual gamers, they don't want this hardcore Halo stuff. They want casual games."
Response: "Oh, the Wii is going to dominate then."
Analysts: "No, that's too casual. It's probably a fad."
Response: "Oh, then the 360 should do well. It's very hardcore."
Analysts: "No, continental Europe are casual gamers."

And around and around we go! Apparently, the PS3 is perfect! It's the exact blend of casual and hardcore and it will take off and dominate everything! Frankly, I don't think of the PS3 as any less hardcore than the 360, and I have empircal evidence to support such claims; the top 4 best selling games on the PS3 are two FPS, one TPS, and a racing game. Guns and cars. If that's a casual system, I'll eat my hat.

And I love their analysis of the Wii. It's a fad: that's not new. But what's their evidence? A "feeling." That is the literal word used -- they get a "faddish feeling." Awesome. Glad these guys get paid for this stuff.

I had that feeling once.

It turns out I wasn't bathing regularly enough. 

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

darthdevidem01 said:
@Bod

Little Big Planet will change the perception of PS3

if the lazy ASS's at SONY advertise it well...

One game isn't going to change peoples perceptions.  In fact the general publics perceptions on these three consoles are probably already solidified.  Not to say that they can't be changed at all, but its hard to change peoples minds once they've made them up.

The analysts are a perfect example.  They may have ulterior motives behind their predictions, but if you take them at face value they still can't seem to get past the perception that the Wii is a fad.

At least some of what they were talking about makes perfect sense in my opinion.  Microsoft created a certain image for their consoles which worked very well in NA but has alienated other markets and they face a very uphill battle to change that perception.

I don't know. I also thought that the PS3 would increase its advantage after BluRay. But if anything the gap is getting smaller. Sony really needs to drop the price to 299$ to change the game. The moment they do that not even a price drop could save the 360 from getting left behind.

Slimebeast said:
What a crappy discussion and analysis.

Have they even studied the sales numbers?

They're basically just repeating what the fools were saying in 2006:
- Sony has an incredible brand
- people hate Microsoft
- the Wii is a fad

Well said, Slimebeast.  If you distill down their analysis it comes out:

1. Microsoft is going into decline (even though their sales are up year over year), and they need to make money on the hardware

2. Sony needs to make money on the hardware

3. The Wii is it's own worst enemy

Gee, I guess the Video-Game-Console companies should just close up shop.  But why would they do that, particularly Nintendo who is making money on every unit sold?

I think these analysts need to get a grip.