By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Analysts Warn of "struggle" For xbox.

dib8rman said:
@Graph

err so from 2010 to 2011 Wii had negative sales?

Returns of broken consoles from 2006.... that means there really in trouble by 2016      XD

Around the Network
Dno said:
yea i really still dont ever think that the ps3 will sell more games (and you all no ima sony fan) then the wii but what ever.

once ps3 install base is higher than 360 install base, obviously it will sell more games than 360.

i cannot see the 360 ahead of ps3 in 2009, mid 2009 or mabey a bit later to be exact. and from then on ps3 will pull away in console sales and software sales.

looks like the liars who claimed the ps3 would flop, are, and, will be proven wrong one day very soon.

i also belive the xbox will struggle, it will however remain in the market till end of generation but ps3 will be the console of choice worldwide.

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...

alephnull said:
To all of you who cannot understand how install bases can go down should look up ensemble forecasting. Hopefully this will fuel a degree of introspection. Perhaps you might, if for but a moment, consider the possibility that someone who does this for a living just slightly more informed than you about his life's work. Every single post I have read has either outright stated or not so subtly implied the analysts must all be completely incompetent. Nobody seems to have pointed out that while fishyjoe's graph's numbers are off, the ordering of consoles has so far been correct. The anti-intellectualism and evolving group-think on this site is likely worthy of a sociology phd thesis.

I find it pretty amusing that you defend these analysts as intellectuals, and then condemn this site for group-think. The historical record is pretty clear that every analysis published was drinking the same kool-aid before this generation launched. It's the Playstation brand, Playstation will win, Playstation is synonymous with console gaming. The joke is that 18 months later, they're just watering down the same debunked ideas rather than face the obvious empirical reality. 

There may be a fair number of people who sing the same song on this site, but they base their ideas on factual data, rather than denying facts in favour of prior assertions. Do you really think that this site has a more serious group-think problem than the analysts who release charts with numbers that don't even agree with current empirical data, let alone present reasonable future trends?

I always thought that part of being an intellectual was acknowledging when the facts don't fit the hypothesis and refining your theory. These guys just keep adjusting the facts and restating the same hypothesis. 

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

fkusumot said:

"When you look at an installed base basis, the Xbox 360's going to come in third place when all's said and done," said DFC Intelligence analyst David Cole. "The concern I would have with a company like Microsoft is, one of these days they're going to have to make a profit on this business otherwise why are they in it?"

Cole argued that, despite Microsoft's perceived failure to appeal beyond its core audience, it was still possible for publishers to do strong business in 360's bread-and-butter areas. "If you're doing a first-person shooter title, you're clearly going to want to be on Xbox 360, and that's for years to come," he offered. "[But] their efforts at marketing outside of the first-person shooter crowd have been disastrous." In March, Microsoft hired former Nintendo Europe boss David Gosen to spearhead its drive for casual gamers on the continent.

Asked whether there was any chance Microsoft might reconsider its place in the console business, Cole said: "I think there's always that risk. They will have to assess their position after this round, and clearly they were very committed to saying they were going to stick with this business through another console system. They haven't really talked much beyond that and I know that really at some point they are going to have to figure out how they're going to make money out of this business."

He added that DFC Intelligence expected to "see the Xbox 360 start to struggle in the market" over the next 12 months, but added that Sony faced a similar challenge into turning its PlayStation 3 business into profit.

For Cole, Nintendo's historical issues with third-party support poses a risk: "It's a huge issue that Nintendo dominates the platforms they own, as that's how they make all their money," he said. "We see the Wii having a higher installed base but the PS3 generating, by about 2010-11, more revenue in terms of software."

DFC Intelligence, it's like an oxymoron. Or in other words: DFC Intelligence = the Ubisoft of the analyst world.

so...this is the part where you attempt to refute what you put in bold. Because from over here, everything in bold sounds reasonable to me....

Trying to convince me the Wii is a real adult game machine 'if you play it right' is like trying to convince me Tofu tastes great 'if you just cook it right'

Around the Network
Skeeuk said:
Dno said:
yea i really still dont ever think that the ps3 will sell more games (and you all no ima sony fan) then the wii but what ever.

once ps3 install base is higher than 360 install base, obviously it will sell more games than 360.

i cannot see the 360 ahead of ps3 in 2009, mid 2009 or mabey a bit later to be exact. and from then on ps3 will pull away in console sales and software sales.

looks like the liars who claimed the ps3 would flop, are, and, will be proven wrong one day very soon.

i also belive the xbox will struggle, it will however remain in the market till end of generation but ps3 will be the console of choice worldwide.

Even when the Xbox360 and the PS3 are level or the Xbox360 is slightly below the PS3 it will have more games. One simple reason - PC/Xbox360 ports!

Xbox360 will do fine.

Tease.

I also think the 360 will do fine, and will, more importantly, convince MS to make a 720 console. That will be their last stand though, I think, if they lose ground.

And that's the only thing I need is *this*. I don't need this or this. Just this PS4... And this gaming PC. - The PS4 and the Gaming PC and that's all I need... And this Xbox 360. - The PS4, the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360, and that's all I need... And these PS3's. - The PS4, and these PS3's, and the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360... And this Nintendo DS. - The PS4, this Xbox 360, and the Gaming PC, and the PS3's, and that's all *I* need. And that's *all* I need too. I don't need one other thing, not one... I need this. - The Gaming PC and PS4, and Xbox 360, and thePS3's . Well what are you looking at? What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - And this. That's all I need.

Obligatory dick measuring Gaming Laptop Specs: Sager NP8270-GTX: 17.3" FULL HD (1920X1080) LED Matte LC, nVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M, Intel Core i7-4700MQ, 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3, 750GB SATA II 3GB/s 7,200 RPM Hard Drive

I can't even finish reading the topic because I'm too busy laughing at the people who don't know the difference between installed base and unit sales.

You do not have the right to never be offended.

famousringo said:

I find it pretty amusing that you defend these analysts as intellectuals, and then condemn this site for group-think. The historical record is pretty clear that every analysis published was drinking the same kool-aid before this generation launched. It's the Playstation brand, Playstation will win, Playstation is synonymous with console gaming. The joke is that 18 months later, they're just watering down the same debunked ideas rather than face the obvious empirical reality.

response:

Right, I recall an article from the economist on march 22, 2007 citing forcasts which are pretty much the same as these, no doubt some scenarios have ruled out and averages have been adjusted. You use new data to adjust your prior on each of your various models in your ensemble.

famousringo said: 

There may be a fair number of people who sing the same song on this site, but they base their ideas on factual data, rather than denying facts in favour of prior assertions. Do you really think that this site has a more serious group-think problem than the analysts who release charts with numbers that don't even agree with current empirical data, let alone present reasonable future trends?

response:

Firstly, everyone commenting on how a forcast can predict a lower install base in a later year simply cannot be basing their idea on "facts" as they seem to be lacking "facts" involving non-linearity and monotonicity.

So far I see 0 variance on this site in relation to the correctness of this particular forcast. I suspect this is not the case with the models that exist out there. In fact, if all your fancy model does is predict the same thing everyone else's does what is your selling point.

What "factual data" do people on this site have exactly? You have console sales by region. That's it. No information on population growth or demographic shifts in key regions. No information on economic growth and changes in income distribution in key regions. No information on currency shifts. No estimates of agregate demand functions for each console.This forum only details the symptoms, but we are dealing with a hidden markov model here.

You assume that they are ignoring the sales data in their models. But really there is no proof of this, you guys just don't like their models.

famousringo said: 

I always thought that part of being an intellectual was acknowledging when the facts don't fit the hypothesis and refining your theory. These guys just keep adjusting the facts and restating the same hypothesis.

response:

It maybe that this is what is happening, but I really see no proof of this.

they are pretty much saying what they said earlier, just more moderate.

"360 doesn't have brand recognition" it does, but a smaller more dedicate group likes it and everyone dislikes it or ignores it.

"ps3 will pick up" it will, but not do crazy well like they used to think.

"wii is a fad" only in software department outside of nintendo.

my pillars of gaming: kh, naughty dog, insomniac, ssb, gow, ff

i officially boycott boycotts.  crap.