By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Kojima Productions Responds to MGS4 NDA Complaints

http://kotaku.com/5013432/kojima-productions-responds-to-mgs4-nda-complaints

There seems to be two discussions going on about Metal Gear Solid 4. One is about the game's actual reviews, and the other is about actually reviewing the game. Rumors swirled that reviewers weren't able to talk about MGS4 cutscenes and installs — rumors that were later confirmed in IGN UK's MGS4 review and by EGM's decision not to review the game. Konami and Kojima Productions were taken to task for this highly unusual NDA. But what was in this NDA? Kojima Productions' Assistant Producer Ryan Payton contacted Kotaku in hopes of setting the record straight and coming clean.

About those review limitations, Payton says the NDA covered: Install times, length of cutscenes (the ending in particular), number of environments, opening "movie", product placement and a half dozen story-specific items. Payton gets down to specifics, stating, "The game requires an eight minute install, as well as a number of two to three-minute installs between acts." But what about the cutscenes? The rationale, according to Payton, was that they wanted reviewers to refrain from describing which cutscenes were long as it would "ruin" the experience if players knew when a cutscene was unfolding. What's more, Payton adds, "I want to make it clear that, from today, reviewers are welcome to discuss the length of the cutscenes and install times, but we ask that they not get too specific about the cinematic times and what happens in later install sequences..." Hit the jump for Payton's email in full.

Hey Brian,

Believe it or not, I've been so busy working on a special surprise for MGS4 buyers (that not even those who have leaked copies of the game can spoil! Haha!), that I haven't had time to catch up on most of the pre-launch excitement.

Scanning the net today, I came across that 90-minute cutscene rumor, and a red-faced Adam Sessler, who was obviously very upset about the restrictions placed on MGS4 reviews.

Adam asks at the end of his Soapbox clip if he was rambling. On the contrary, I think he voiced some really important concerns about the restrictions placed on MGS4 reviewers.

In light of this, I took a look at the list of restrictions and found that some items are outdated and require more explanation.

We asked reviewers to avoid the following topics:

-Install times
-Length of cutscenes (the ending in particular)
-Number of environments
-Opening "movie"
-Product placement
-(Plus a half dozen story-specific items)

The game requires an eight minute install, as well as a number of two to three-minute installs between acts.

As for the cutscenes, reviewers are more than happy to comment on whether they're too long or short. We simply want reviewers to refrain from describing which scenes are long, thus spoiling some of the experience because players will know what to expect when a scene is unfolding.

I want to make it clear that, from today, reviewers are welcome to discuss the length of the cutscenes and install times, but we ask that they not get too specific about the cinematic times and what happens in later install sequences...

But as for the next three items, we are still asking reviewers to avoid these topics. We want the opening to be a huge surprise for gamers, and knowing how many environments there are in the game, obviously, is a spoiler. These restrictions will remain in place.

Finally, we've asked reviewers to not write about some of the product placement because of some contractual agreements we have with third parties.

I hope this helps clear up some of the controversy.

As a former writer, I'm proud of the discussion this topic has sparked. I hope Adam, Patrick Klepek, and everybody else who covered this issue continue to be diligent about restrictions placed on media outlets. (That's honestly why I'm such a fan of Kotaku — it keeps publishers on their toes.)

I do, however, hope gamers can appreciate the efforts we go through to keep them protected from reviewers that could spoil some of the MGS4 experience.

rp

Around the Network

Seems fair to me. His reasons for Konami's requests all seems sound. Personally, most of the points he mentions would be spoliers for me, and I can understand the whole 'contractual obligation' thing -- even if I'm not too keen on the idea of product placement, itself -- so there is no major issues for me here.

What Konami asked was unacceptable. There is only one thing that was reasonable of them to demand and that is no story or encounter spoilers. Everything else should be fair play. It's like asking movie reviewers to not mention that in a movie there are 10 minute fight scenes.

People are letting developers off the hook for too much. Shame on Konami and Kojima Productions.

I give this thread a 9.1.

Thank god for the disable signatures option.

I buy his arguments. The ending has definitely been a bit spoiled for me because of this firestorm.

My Top 5:

Shadow of the Colossus, Metal Gear Solid 3, Shenmue, Skies of Arcadia, Chrono Trigger

My 2 nex-gen systems: PS3 and Wii

Prediction Aug '08: We see the PSP2 released fall '09. Graphically, it's basically the same as the current system. UMD drive ditched and replaced by 4-8gb on board flash memory. Other upgrades: 2nd analog nub, touchscreen, blutooth, motion sensor. Design: Flip-style or slider. Size: Think Iphone. Cost: $199. Will be profitable on day 1.

I want to know more about these installs between acts: are they deleted once an act has ended and overwritten by the new act? This could potentially mean an install every time a new save file is loaded or a chapter is selected once the game has been completed.

It could turn out to be very annoying.

Around the Network

Wow, if Konami backpedals any faster, they're going to hurt themselves.

Nice spin job, BTW. I guess talking about install times somehow reveals plot details in their strange little postmodern world. 

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

rocketpig said:

Wow, if Konami backpedals any faster, they're going to hurt themselves.

Nice spin job, BTW. I guess talking about install times somehow reveals plot details in their strange little postmodern world.

I think it's less about the install times revealing plot details -- which makes no sense at all (and the install times are pretty minor, anyway -- I was expecting far, far worse after games like Devil May Cry and Gran Turismo) -- and more what happens during them that was the issue; so, they simply added a blanket clause here. After all, reviewers weren't banned from mentioning the installs (I believe), they were just banned from mentioning how long they were, or what the installs comprised of. Really, if the reviewer had an issue with the installs, there was ample room to complain about the issue presuming the details we've been leaked are anywhere near accurate (that said, I could be wrong).

I see nothing particularly sinister here at all; nothing more than Konami trying to minimise damage to the impact of their opening section and their (as yet undisclosed) install 'sequencies' (whatever they may be).

Personally, I have no issue with this. After all, if people really, really want to know about this stuff (which seem hugely irrelevant to me) before the release of the game, they can wait for the first reviews after release; fortunately, by that time, I'll have the game, and the reviews will be spoiling nothing for me.

Of course, I speaking quite selfishly here, as I want no spoilers at all, and I want nothing to ruin the game for me; but, really, as far as I'm concerned, that's the only person these reviews are targetting. I could care less that everyone else wants more facts about exact lengths of particular cut scenes, or how long an install takes, or whatever, but not by much. Of course, everyone has their own requirements, but I'm solely working from the postion of what impact Konami's gags and restrictions have made to me, much as I imagine others will talk about what they like, or dislike, about the situation.

That all said, I fully understand why others may feel upset or concerned, it's just that I don't see it as a problem at all; however, I'm open to being convinced I'm wrong.

i don't get why there are intermediate installs? couldn't it just all be done at once at the begging? and product placement?!? i hope it's not anything obnoixious.

I agree, I hope the product placement isn't in-your-face. That'd be a bit sucky.

As for the multiple installs: I don't think we'll know until we play the game. It could just be a way of reducing the initial install time, and adding a funky feature later as the game adds some extras, it could be something else. I really have not idea.

kitler53 said:
i don't get why there are intermediate installs? couldn't it just all be done at once at the begging? and product placement?!? i hope it's not anything obnoixious.

From what i recall in one of the trailers for the game you see the monkey drinking a can of coke.  If its stuff like that i don't think it will be a big problem.  But i hope its not like Act 2 brought to you by Burger King, Home of the Whopper and helping you stay alive in MGS4