By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - 2008 Console Sales by Week: May Edition

Hmm...I may have to bookmark this...

People are difficult to govern because they have too much knowledge.

When there are more laws, there are more criminals.

- Lao Tzu

Around the Network

I've been tracking this data since late January, and updating as VG Chartz data has been updated too. I like to think of it as a sort of extended service to compliment the site's already impressive features, though it is a fair bit of a chore to update (which is why I've switched to monthly instead of weekly updates). If you feel inspired, please feel free to implement any of the features I've put into the spreadsheet or the plain text version into the site itself.

Sky Render - Sanity is for the weak.

Well actually, the reason I bookmarked it is for these requests we get. Lots of university people and investors ask us about information on software and whether it is available on excel...

It can be created from the site but it takes a while, but with this I can just link to what you've assembled. 

People are difficult to govern because they have too much knowledge.

When there are more laws, there are more criminals.

- Lao Tzu

Wow amazing, keep up the excellent work.
Wii is truly a hell of a beast. imagine 50 million+

Imagine:Babiez?

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies

Ah. Well that works too.

Around the Network
trestres said:
Wow amazing, keep up the excellent work.
Wii is truly a hell of a beast. imagine 50 million+

Imagine:Babiez?

Imagine: Market Dominanz!

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

Sky Render said:
The projections keep getting higher and higher for the Wii's end point, suggesting that it's selling at a faster comparative pace than it did in 2007 (though I think that's obvious enough just looking at the intense supply-side issues it's been plagued with since the Christmas season started).

I also noticed something else that's relevant: the sales peak of a standard console on the market. Traditionally, consoles peak at their third year and start declining (slower for popular systems like PS2, faster for the market minority ones like the GameCube). Though Nintendo handhelds don't follow this trend (largely because they haven't had any significantly high competition until the PSP; they tend to peak around year 4 or 5), consoles do with eerie frequency (even the PS2 had its peak year early, in 2002). However, no console has ever had consistent supply-side issues this late into its lifespan before the Wii, save one console: the NES. Though we don't have month-by-month sales data for the NES, I do recall that it had stellar sales throughout the 1980s, well longer than the 3-year apogee point.

Yeah. It really took the Sega Gensis to put the NES out to pasteur.

Even then it didn't work in Japan and the NES was going strong until the SNES killed it. (If i remember correctly.)

To be fair though that was back in the wild west of gaming where the NES was the anomoly after the crash and people weren't trained to expect a better system every 5 years.

There's three key advantages the Wii and NES have had that no other system has had save the Atari 2600: having a new way to play games, new kind of games to play, and being the first on the market to offer this. In all three cases, the effect was the same: no matter who came out with competing and marginally better systems, the original always kept market share majority. The actual cause of the NES' decline (and actually, the Atari's too), was market saturation: the systems were in 33% of households by then, and sales slowed simply because there were no prospective new buyers. The other 66% of households just weren't interested in the product, and there was no known way to draw them in.

The Genesis didn't "kill" the NES, the NES killed itself by peaking in potential distribution base. The video game market didn't crash in 1983 because it ran out of good games, it crashed because it ran out of new customers; the video game quality dropping was a direct side-effect of this, a panic reaction to the growth of the industry hitting a cap. The true face of any entertainment industry is not competing with each other, but competing with the interests of the consumers. If your product generates no further interest, it will not remain on the market for much longer.

This is not semantics at all, either, for though each consumer can only dedicate so much attention to the products on the market, there is a finite amount of attention consumers will contribute no matter how much they're willing to give your product The ultimate goal of a product should be to increase that consumer attention towards it, not to outdo the attention given by consumers to other products.

When two products are too similar, they cannibalize each others' sales, favoring whichever has the most attention. This is why the Genesis and SNES had fierce marketing battles to garner the most attention, why the PlayStation and PlayStation 2 defeated their competitors by being first out the door with the most attention on them, and why the Game Boy line was never successfully challenged. For the Atari 2600 and NES, that attention was on them more than on them than on their direct competitors. So too will it be for the Wii when the next line of consoles comes out.

Hi all

Does anybody have any numbers for PS2 hardware and software sales.  I'm still amazed that @ walmart, target, best buy .... they carry as many PS2 titles as xbox360 or ps3.  Do you have unit and $$ numbers for PS2 ?

Hi,

would you happen to have sales data for 2007, 2006, 2005, etc?

Please let me know,

Thanks