By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony charges for some online services - PSN pales in comparison to XboxLive

Sony Ready to Launch Qore Subscriptions for PS3 Players

Jennifer LeClaire, http://www.newsfactor.com">newsfactor.com

Sony has begun the countdown to Qore. An addition to the PlayStation Network (PSN), the subscription-based gaming program will debut Thursday.

Available only on the PlayStation Store on PSN, Qore is the first in a series of original content planned for the PlayStation community. Qore will feature exclusive multimedia news, developer interviews, in-depth game previews, and behind-the-scene looks at popular PlayStation games. Sony said subscribers will also have special access to game demos, betas, add-ons and other downloadable and game-related content.

"Qore is the first step in providing original content dedicated to the PlayStation community and evolving the network into a place where our customers can gather, share and discover new forms of entertainment," said Peter Dille, senior vice president of marketing at Sony Computer Entertainment America.

Monthly Episodes

Qore episodes will be available the first Thursday of every month to coordinate with weekly PlayStation Store updates. The first episode will feature SOCOM: US. Navy SEALs Confrontation, Star Wars: The Force Unleashed, Secret Agent Clank, Soul Calibur 4, and Afro Samurai, as well as the latest Blu-ray Disc trailers, an exclusive SOCOM: Confrontation theme with an invitation to the SOCOM: Confrontation beta, art galleries, and a few other surprises.

The high-definition, interactive Qore lets members customize their experience through the Sixaxis or DualShock 3 wireless controllers. Sony said gamers will "act as the director" of the content and can access and control how they want to view content, using multiple windows, picture-in-picture and other features. Qore also offers advertisers interactive advertising opportunities through rich-media executions, video trailers, active ad pages, and contextual branding.

Gamers can purchase episodes of Qore through the PlayStation Store for an introductory price of $2.99, or an annual subscription for $24.99. Sony is offering bonuses with annual subscriptions. For example, annual subscribers will receive 13 episodes of Qore. In addition, for a limited time, annual subscribers also receive free the PlayStation Network game Calling All Cars.

The Xbox Factor

Is there a market for these episodes? According to Mike Goodman, a video-game analyst at Yankee Group, there's a market for exclusive content. "People are certainly paying for exclusive content on Microsoft, and gamers are paying for things on PlayStation Network already," he said. "They are doing game downloads there. If you follow the road map that Microsoft has followed for rental and sell-through, gamers are paying for video there. So there's certainly a marketplace."

PSN is an entertainment network aimed at digitally delivering innovative content and fostering a community for a worldwide audience. The network has eight million members, according to Sony, and Qore is the latest addition. But Sony is still very much in building mode versus its rival, Microsoft's Xbox Live, Goodman said.

"The PlayStation Network pales in comparison to the features and design of Xbox Live. It is where Xbox Live was maybe two years ago," he said. "Sony just redesigned and re-rolled out PlayStation Network and they are still working on getting the kinks out of it."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nf/20080604/bs_nf/60125

"I like my steaks how i like my women.  Bloody and all over my face"

"Its like sex, but with a winner!"

MrBubbles Review Threads: Bill Gates, Jak II, Kingdom Hearts II, The Strangers, Sly 2, Crackdown, Zohan, Quarantine, Klungo Sssavesss Teh World, MS@E3'08, WATCHMEN(movie), Shadow of the Colossus, The Saboteur

Around the Network

It's an online version of the old PlayStation Underground Magazine. They not really charging for services in the same manner that XBL is.

And for all those wondering, the Socom beta isn't exclusive to Qore. From the comments section of the PlayStation Blog (where the program was first announced):

amurphy replied on June 3, 2008 at 9:44 am

@Red
There will be multiple points of entry into the SOCOM beta. SOCOM.com will have more details later today.

Well this news story fails...

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

I guess no SONY fanboys can flame about how expensive XBLA is considering for QORE u pay half the price of XBLA. Cmon SONY stop disappointing PS3 owners and fanboys. I own a 360 and I actually feel sorry for them.

Gamer4life said:
I guess no SONY fanboys can flame about how expensive XBLA is considering for QORE u pay half the price of XBLA. Cmon SONY stop disappointing PS3 owners and fanboys. I own a 360 and I actually feel sorry for them.

Qore is still optional, i dont have to pay to play online.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

Around the Network

Qore... oh dear, it's hardly a necessary expense.

Gamer4life said:

? This is for a magazine, with a few little extra bits. This is not the same as having to pay to play online, it is completely different

LOL people think qore is like paying for xbl. Its just like a mag subscription that comes with exclusive content (like demo discs).

oh...but this is only the beginning.

"I like my steaks how i like my women.  Bloody and all over my face"

"Its like sex, but with a winner!"

MrBubbles Review Threads: Bill Gates, Jak II, Kingdom Hearts II, The Strangers, Sly 2, Crackdown, Zohan, Quarantine, Klungo Sssavesss Teh World, MS@E3'08, WATCHMEN(movie), Shadow of the Colossus, The Saboteur

WTF

I can STILL play GTA IV online for FREE and you 360 lot can't....

so the point is?

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey