By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Getaway 3 and Eight Days are cancelled

I think they're killing off titles that are not looking good after a long time in development before too much money is lost. Sony seem to be learning from the Lair/Heavenly Sword crisis.

Around the Network
darthdevidem01 said:
@EaglesEye

they were never cheered as PS3 domination ones....

Eight days was cheered on for showing T3H Might cells 4D power!

Maybe not by you.

I can recall many occasions in various comparisons between 360 and PS3 future exclusives (aka pissing contests) where Eight Days, Getaway, Infamous, LA Noire are always thrown in the 360 fans face. To rub more salt, some of them are saying that in terms of exclusives, the 360 will be getting less and less that people will care about whereas its more and more for the PS3. Heck, I havent even heard about these games until I came to VGChartz.

Basically this news will be a big pill to swallow, no matter the damage control.

Shameless said:
I think they're killing off titles that are not looking good after a long time in development before too much money is lost. Sony seem to be learning from the Lair/Heavenly Sword crisis.
I dont think that Heavenly Sword should be compared with Lair. Dont know if they have gained money with HS but it have atleast sold 1 million.

Shameless said:

i think this is more of yushida's strategy ,,,,he want more casual titles.

do I like it?helll nooooooooooooo

is it gonna pay off?I don't know

is yushida casual title lover?

Sony's money only stretches so far...

They have to stop bleeding money on the games division and these cancellations are surely part of the plan to solve that problem. I don't think it has anything to do with casual gaming, but feel free to prove me wrong.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Around the Network

They could have just cancelled one of the games, and still given us a good game. Just have smacked the ressources from one of the games onto the other, but I don't see any reason at all for why they were both cancelled?
Gaaaaaah......

NJ5 said:

Sony's money only stretches so far...

They have to stop bleeding money on the games division and these cancellations are surely part of the plan to solve that problem. I don't think it has anything to do with casual gaming, but feel free to prove me wrong.

Because Phil Harrison was very very keen on the whole "community" aspect of games, and really pushed very hard for games that enhanced that.  As you can see, the Singstore for Singstar really pushes that, as does LBP and the user created levels thing.  

And as they mention the games they are working on now, four out of five of them were decidedly casual.  I do imagine that part of it does have to do with Killzone 2, in terms of resources, but it's moreso the fact that they are, at least for the time being, dabbling into more casual things, as they feel that's what's going to help them in the long run.

I don't believe Eight Days and Getaway 3 are cancelled for good, as they already were in pre-production, I think that SCEA may have picked up one, or both of the titles, since they both had already been started on.

If those games have been in production since 2005 they are going to lose quite some money with this decision. Maybe those titles have been on hold for several years because I have not seen anything new about those titles since 2005.

Shameless said:

Heavely Sword sold 1m, and must have made some money

OT: I am really disapointed, I was really looking forward to Eight days in particular, mabye they will get BigBig to work on that, who have previously been responsable for Pursuit Force games, and this looks like a similar title.

Maybe the money is going into paying for Insomniac's new studio? maybe a little gift to thank them for their support

oh come on guys, does noone follow the link ??

the article was edited to "stopped" instead of "canceled" for a reason - the projects aren't canceled, but just put on halt until the more urgent projects (KZ2, LBP, Home) are finished