By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Malstrom responds to Raide(ubisoft forum manager).

The Fact is: Ubisoft only made crap Wii-Games. The first Rayman was good and fresh, after that they only made crap for the Wii. But nonetheless other companys will make games for the wii that the audience want and will make profit. Face the fact: The wii has the oldest demographic of all consoles. Many PC-Gamers who not play the last-gen-gamepad-consoles like gamecube, xbo360, ps3 etc. bought a wii and want to enjoy games like ego-shooter, survival horror etc. on the wii.

Around the Network

Ubisoft is making a smart decision. If you want to play your sub par games then play them. Besides if you're doing a ubisoft ban im sure they won't care....As they said before the games they are making are for the wii are games like Bratz. Im sure no one on this forum would buy that anyway. Also, if you don't buy ubisoft games for the wii then that's even more of a plus. Less sales on crap games means they direct there focus somewhere else. The games they're making for the HD consoles look wonderful....I'am buying them.

CURRENTLY PLAYING:  Warframe, Witcher 2

Ail said:

It's still amazing the number of people trying to give Ubisoft business lessons a few month after the company just had its best yearly profit in its history.

Whatever you may think, so far what Ubisoft has been doing has been working very well for the company....

I can understand not liking what they are doing, but trying to argue it's bad for their business clearly doesn't match the facts....

And when most developers act the same way as Ubisoft and you see rabid Wii fans complaining about it you have two choices :

- about every executive holding a position in a gaming development company is wrong

- maybe the week-ends CEO and CFO we have posting on this site aren't as qualified as they would like to think they are and maybe those developers have valid reasons for not massively migrating to the Wii....

They weren't doing then what they are apparently doing now, and a company can make big mistakes in the hope of gaining even faster profits (like a certain former first party).

And this is not just a money based business. This is a customer based business. If they are just going to make shovelware for the Wii (and I really hope this isn't the case), then they lose the respect of a lot of traditional gamers, and they are just going to turn off non-gamers.

It was just that forum guy who claimed the audience is just parents who buys games for their kids, and I'm glad ubisoft said that is not their position. 

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Ail said:

- about every executive holding a position in a gaming development company is wrong

I'd say it's about 80-90%.

Picko said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
Picko said:
Well that was pathetic, both from Ubisoft and the thread starter.

(Wonders how long it'll be before someone realises that it was Nintendo who both encouraged and actively pursued the "casual" markets that encouraged developers to "dumb" down their games?)

Nintendo is not doing that. You just assume thay are. No wonder you think ubisoft is making a good move.

I'd tell you to read malestrom's article, but I'm not sure if you'd get them. 

A few of things Nintendo did:

• Announced a console that was technically inferior with a new simplified control method, designed to make gaming more assessible to non-gamers;
  • Spoke at every opportunity of strategically targetting non-gamers, designing games for them, and how the controller was beneficial for non-gamers;
  • Launched the console with its key game a simple, mini-game collection with last generation graphics and a simplistic control method;
  • The success of the DS itself was built around expanding markets with simple games designed for non-gamers or very casual gamers. The Wii was designed as the console equivalent;

At the end of the day, Nintendo designed a console to appeal to non-gamers and they achieved their aim. They designed a fantastically simple title to bundle with the console and it proved a big success. They released games like Wario, Wii Play and Wii Fit that appeal to the very casual set. Everything about the console is designed to reach the maximum possible audience and yet when other developers go down that route its apparently bad. Sure Ubisoft is designing games for the lowest common denominator but Nintendo designed a console to appeal to those same people. If you design a console to appeal to those that are non-discrimminating against the quality of software then surely you would expect an unusually high proportion of poor games to be released? That is logical. The only absurd thing Ubisoft did was announce that that was their strategy.

Quite simply the success of the Nintendo's strategy encourages simple and badly designed games. What we are witnessing with Ubisoft is the one clear downside of expanding the market to non-gamers. The interesting thing of course is that Ubisofts strategy clearly suggests that its more profitable for developers to make rubbish games than try hard, which is counter-intuitive (and why no one on here would dare believe it).

And for the record I don't like what Ubisoft is doing, I only play good games and therefore I believe Ubisoft is wasting resources that could be used to make great games. That said, I do recall saying that it was a logical and rational move given what is occurring in the market.

This has to be the most arrogant statement I've ever seen. Your assumptions about the Wii's expanded market are complete rubbish and your belief that good taste and the ability to discriminate quality is found only in "hardcore" gamers is a ridiculous conceit. Running over hookers in the streets of Liberty city does not elevate one to a higher plane of existence.

Around the Network
Grampy said:
Picko said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
Picko said:
Well that was pathetic, both from Ubisoft and the thread starter.

(Wonders how long it'll be before someone realises that it was Nintendo who both encouraged and actively pursued the "casual" markets that encouraged developers to "dumb" down their games?)

Nintendo is not doing that. You just assume thay are. No wonder you think ubisoft is making a good move.

I'd tell you to read malestrom's article, but I'm not sure if you'd get them. 

• Announced a console that was technically inferior with a new simplified control method, designed to make gaming more assessible to non-gamers;
  • Spoke at every opportunity of strategically targetting non-gamers, designing games for them, and how the controller was beneficial for non-gamers;
  • Launched the console with its key game a simple, mini-game collection with last generation graphics and a simplistic control method;
  • The success of the DS itself was built around expanding markets with simple games designed for non-gamers or very casual gamers. The Wii was designed as the console equivalent;

At the end of the day, Nintendo designed a console to appeal to non-gamers and they achieved their aim. They designed a fantastically simple title to bundle with the console and it proved a big success. They released games like Wario, Wii Play and Wii Fit that appeal to the very casual set. Everything about the console is designed to reach the maximum possible audience and yet when other developers go down that route its apparently bad. Sure Ubisoft is designing games for the lowest common denominator but Nintendo designed a console to appeal to those same people. If you design a console to appeal to those that are non-discrimminating against the quality of software then surely you would expect an unusually high proportion of poor games to be released? That is logical. The only absurd thing Ubisoft did was announce that that was their strategy.

Quite simply the success of the Nintendo's strategy encourages simple and badly designed games. What we are witnessing with Ubisoft is the one clear downside of expanding the market to non-gamers. The interesting thing of course is that Ubisofts strategy clearly suggests that its more profitable for developers to make rubbish games than try hard, which is counter-intuitive (and why no one on here would dare believe it).

And for the record I don't like what Ubisoft is doing, I only play good games and therefore I believe Ubisoft is wasting resources that could be used to make great games. That said, I do recall saying that it was a logical and rational move given what is occurring in the market.

This has to be the most arrogant statement I've ever seen. Your assumptions about the Wii's expanded market are complete rubbish and your belief that good taste and the ability to discriminate quality is found only in "hardcore" gamers is a ridiculous conceit. Running over hookers in the streets of Liberty city does not elevate one to a higher plane of existence.

Ever watched a Wii commercial ?

Do the people on it look like gamers or casuals new to the market ?

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !

Malstrom strikes back again! =D

@Picko

· Announced a console that was technically inferior with a new simplified control method, designed to make gaming more assessible to non-gamers;
Technically inferior console does not mean casual gaming, what’s your point, this has been argued before – your saying every system before the PS3 was casual? The NES control was amazingly simple, so was the Atari, hell even pinball and penny arcades, those aren’t casual either. In short a piece of hardware such as a console can not be Casual or Hardcore.

· Spoke at every opportunity of strategically targeting non-gamers, designing games for them, and how the controller was beneficial for non-gamers;
Non-gamers aren’t casuals either, what’s your point here? Your bringing up the controller point again, so read above. Non-gamers simply don’t play games; this leads into the casual vs hardcore definition: “Hardcore game to live Casuals live to game.”

· Launched the console with its key game a simple, mini-game collection with last generation graphics and a simplistic control method;
Wii sports is not a mini-game, the pong sports package was not a mini game, it’s a sports package, simplified heck yea, but if want to brashly categorize something as simple, then GTAIV is nothing more than running around and shooting stuff like any other simple shooter. The package captures the initial audience and presents a visual example of what makes this console different from all those before it.

· The success of the DS itself was built around expanding markets with simple games designed for non-gamers or very casual gamers. The Wii was designed as the console equivalent;
Kind of right, the DS however is successful because of something you failed to mention on all the other points, specially bullet two which was Nintendo also spoke at every opportunity about how they are not directly competing with Microsoft or Sony, what they failed to mention is they aren’t competing with Nintendo, in a sense the DS is a non-factor for the PSP as it’s a mobile home console of last gen or next gen, not new gen.
I was going to respond to the rest of your statement but I have work to do.

I'm Unamerica and you can too.

The Official Huge Monster Hunter Thread: 

The Hunt Begins 4/20/2010 =D

TalonMan said:
RolStoppable said:
Ail said:

Post a PS3 or 360 commercial so that we can see how gamers are supposed to look like.

I was going to say the same EXACT thing...

I'm sorry you lost me: 

So exactly what do gamers look like?

(If you post that same old pick of the guy with that huge gut in a couch with glasses and a potato chip on his bare skin belly as it peaks from underneath his grey wife beater with the 360 controller in his hand I will lawl. 

I'm Unamerica and you can too.

The Official Huge Monster Hunter Thread: 

The Hunt Begins 4/20/2010 =D

TalonMan said:
RolStoppable said:
Ail said:

Post a PS3 or 360 commercial so that we can see how gamers are supposed to look like.

I was going to say the same EXACT thing...

Would an XBOX original commercial suffice?