By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - How much would the wii benefit with a constant 50%+ market share?

@Wow So hd console fanboys are wrong when they say the ps360 get more support because together they have more  consoles sold  than the wii?
@ Sky Render I see now.

Around the Network

I see a decrease in % of quality games. Much like the treatment DS is getting.

You will see everybody rushing in, mostly trash with hidden gems far in between.

but by comparison, there will be number of good games as well, just not %-wise.

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)
kingofwale said:

You will see everybody rushing in, mostly trash with hidden gems far in between.

I'm not talking about the percent of good games to all games on the console. I'm talking about how much of good games would be on the wii compared to how much of good games would be on the other consoles. 

sc94597 said:
@Wow So hd console fanboys are wrong when they say the ps360 get more support because together they have more  consoles sold  than the wii?

You have to understand that developers want to make games for HD consoles.  They have more freedom in terms of what they can do and the perception is that those userbases are the ones most likely to purchase their games.  Both hold a bit of truth but are also flawed.

The first statement ignores the cost of investment and the second ignores that the Wii has so-called "hardcore gamers" of its own.  I believe that the PS360 combined userbase argument, while a factor, is not the deciding factor for developers but that is my own opinion.

sc94597 said:
kingofwale said:

I'm not talking about the percent of good games to all games on the console. I'm talking about how much of good games would be on the wii compared to how much of good games would be on the other consoles.

OOh

1.. you will see mediocore game that were supposed to be HD console giving up, but instead, porting it to Wii. Expensive nature of developing HD games is that it's far more expensive than developing for Wii games.

2.. HD console rewards only good games, even if it was ridiculously hyped, look no further than LAIR and Kane and Lynch. So average developer will be too afraid to take the risk to put average game on HD console, Instead, they will develop their average game on Wii.

3... Developers who are used to not send out review copies will be doing so, and use the excuse of "oh, we got poor reviews because they don't like casual games". "Casual game" shield will be there for lifetime. Ask the developers of Kidz sports series.

base on all that, you will see increase of quality games % in HD consoles, while decrease quality games % on Wii.

although it will probably be 60% games on Wii, while PS360 shares the rest of 40% games. (20% of quality titles will be on Wii, rest will be on PS360)

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)
Around the Network

There are an awful lot of Wii consoles out there where the only game they have is Wii sports. My neighbor bought a Wii on launch and only had Wii Sports until very recently. She just got Wii Fit as her second game. I think the Wii needs a bit larger install base by nature of the console... My neighbor would NEVER buy No More Heroes, Resident Evil Anything, Red Steel, or anything similar... I think developers are going to continue to develop "hardcore" games for the 360 and PS3 and more casual titles for the Wii until such time as the Wii is simply impossible to ignore. We aren't there yet, but getting closer for sure.

I hate trolls.

Systems I currently own:  360, PS3, Wii, DS Lite (2)
Systems I've owned: PS2, PS1, Dreamcast, Saturn, 3DO, Genesis, Gamecube, N64, SNES, NES, GBA, GB, C64, Amiga, Atari 2600 and 5200, Sega Game Gear, Vectrex, Intellivision, Pong.  Yes, Pong.

The percentage of good games will get higher once the Wii userbase is more responsive to "good" titles which third parties sink more effort into and less responsive to the "bad" titles which third parties design simply to make a quick buck or port from another system.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

akuma587 said:
The percentage of good games will get higher once the Wii userbase is more responsive to "good" titles which third parties sink more effort into and less responsive to the "bad" titles which third parties design simply to make a quick buck or port from another system.

Examples? Please don't say no more heroes, zack and wiki, or boom blox because they got no advertisement.

@Wow I like that idea. 

@ King of Wale I think you  might be correct with your points but 20% seems pretty low. 

Words Of Wisdom said:

The key at this point is not console market share, it's market penetration on the part of game developers. It doesn't matter if my market size is 100 million people if only 5 of them will actually pay for my product. By comparison, a 7 million person market size where everyone will buy my product is phenominal.

The Wii needs to solidly show developers that their big name titles are worth putting on it versus the PS3 or 360. Right now there's a stigma following the Wii that has yet to be shattered. You can point to sales evidence if you like but it's not overwhelming enough to actually be a solid case to developers yet.

How can the Wii by itself show it can sell games it doesn't have yet? Developers have to put their games on it, to see if they will sell. The Wii can't sell games that aren't being made. It's putting the cart before the horse. If developers want to see if the Wii will sell their big budget games, they have to put some of their big budget games on the Wii.

Sure a developer risk money, but they risk money on HD systems. That's why they market the hell out of them. I also noticed that the biggest selling Wii games often have the most marketing. Not always, but the fact is that marketing sells Wii games same as HD games.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

well it will def get more support like that,it will also get big exclusives since i will be possible for games to sell better on wii then on ps3/360

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"