By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - How much would the wii benefit with a constant 50%+ market share?

I'm talking about in the number of quality 3rd party games. List how much support it would get for each percentage.

50%= x% of quality games.

55%=x% of quality games.

60%=x% of quality games

etc. 

Also would sales increase more rapidly?

Around the Network

Ubisoft did promise better games, maybe they are waiting for the magic 50% number. Once that happen, companies can strt pouring games into the wii. The only question is, how long will does game take before they come out, 2 to 3 years, yes.

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)
psrock said:
Ubisoft did promise better games, maybe they are waiting for the magic 50% number. Once that happen, companies can strt pouring games into the wii. The only question is, how long will does game take before they come out, 2 to 3 years, yes.
Well maybe we would see it about a year after it happends and then more and mroe per year. Next gen I could see the next nintendo console having alot of support.

yes, hopefully when wii's marketshare goes up to 60%, we would see a very big increase in software sold, then we would see third parties swarming in

pichu_pichu said:
yes, hopefully when wii's marketshare goes up to 60%, we would see a very big increase in software sold, then we would see third parties swarming in

I'm sure we would see a big increase before that.

Around the Network

Let's see... It took the NES until 1988 to start getting a good batch of third-party games from America, and the system launched in late 1985... That's 3 years, so... I'd guess about 2009 for the Wii to start getting especially noteworthy titles from non-Nintendo developers. Don't expect too many of them to be pandering to the cinematic gaming crowd, though; that's a style of game that hasn't done well at all on the Wii.  It has nothing to do with market share, and everything to do with developers finally catching on as to what it is that makes a game sell on a currently-unique system like the Wii.

Sky Render - Sanity is for the weak.

Sky Render said:
Let's see... It took the NES until 1988 to start getting a good batch of third-party games from America, and the system launched in late 1985... That's 3 years, so... I'd guess about 2009 for the Wii to start getting especially noteworthy titles from non-Nintendo developers. Don't expect too many of them to be pandering to the cinematic gaming crowd, though; that's a style of game that hasn't done well at all on the Wii.  It has nothing to do with market share, and everything to do with developers finally catching on as to what it is that makes a game sell on a currently-unique system like the Wii.

Um could you define that? Does that mean games that are story driven?

sc94597 said:
pichu_pichu said:

I'm sure we would see a big increase before that.

the wii should slowly get more support as time go on as there would be more third parties software sales like the ds is having now

"Cinematic gaming" means games that have huge production values, for the most part. There's other common aspects, like excessive story and very theatrical use of camera angles and movements to provide dramatic cutscenes, but those aren't critical for a game to fall into the cinematic style. The key determining factor is the budget that goes into the game, and cinematic games have budgets that are huge (and now beginning to rival the budgets for blockbuster Hollywood movies). Which isn't so great when you can't possibly sell enough copies to pay for the expenses of making the game.

Sky Render - Sanity is for the weak.

The key at this point is not console market share, it's market penetration on the part of game developers.  It doesn't matter if my market size is 100 million people if only 5 of them will actually pay for my product.  By comparison, a 7 million person market size where everyone will buy my product is phenominal.

The Wii needs to solidly show developers that their big name titles are worth putting on it versus the PS3 or 360.  Right now there's a stigma following the Wii that has yet to be shattered.  You can point to sales evidence if you like but it's not overwhelming enough to actually be a solid case to developers yet.