By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What happens after pc sets itself apart graphically from ps360?

sc94597 said:
TheRealMafoo said:
sc94597 said:
PS360ForTheWin said:
sc94597 - Call of Duty 4 was on PS360 before PC, other than that you made some good points, luckily i have a gaming pc anyway!

I didn't know that. Link?

COD4 released on the PC, PS3, 360, and DS on Nov 5, 2007.

So he's wrong then.

are you sure it was realesaed on all platforms at the same time, i couldve sworn the PC version was released in march here.

Around the Network
PS360ForTheWin said:
sc94597 said:
TheRealMafoo said:
sc94597 said:
PS360ForTheWin said:
sc94597 - Call of Duty 4 was on PS360 before PC, other than that you made some good points, luckily i have a gaming pc anyway!

I didn't know that. Link?

COD4 released on the PC, PS3, 360, and DS on Nov 5, 2007.

So he's wrong then.

are you sure it was realesaed on all platforms at the same time, i couldve sworn the PC version was released in march here.

GameSpot sucks at a lot of things. Release dates are not one of them :)

http://www.gamespot.com/search.html?type=11&stype=all&tag=search%3Bbutton&om_act=convert&om_clk=search&qs=call+of+duty+4

It's an interesting topic, and with the stlong game sales on consoles it worries me. Some games I simply want on the PC and with best graphics possible.

It worries me when I think of The Elder Scrolls 5. Oblivion's development had perfect timing with the first HD consoles, and looked fantastic on all platforms since the engine could run well on the PS360. But will they have to put restrictions on using the latest graphics options, AI-routines, physics etc that will be used in PCs 2010/11 when TESV is likely to be released, just because the consoles can't handle that?

I'm afraid that many game devs, including Bethesda, are developing their games on engines that run on the PS360 and the PC versions will suffer from that. But there are always going to be passionate game devs that will "go Crysis", and create/use leading edge advanced game engines no matter if it can run on the consoles. Then use a simpler engine and even use an outside dev teamfor the console versions.

The 3d party support for the PS360 will be very good no matter what. The cash is just too good on consoles, so some version of most PC games will be released on the PS360 too. Crytek with Crysis is the horror example that many devs/publishers will look at and try to avoid.

Crysis (the big blockbuster AAA PC exclusive) - estimated 1.5 million lifetimes sales

Far Cry 2 (=Crysis for PC and PS360) - probably 4-5 million.

Software developers will have already figured out that the PC market is stagnating and will accommodate their games to the large PS3 and 360 userbases.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

akuma587 said:
Software developers will have already figured out that the PC market is stagnating and will accommodate their games to the large PS3 and 360 userbases.

This is false, the PC market is far superior in terms of revenue than the HD consoles atm, its very hard to track so I imagine that is why this site doesn't bother but NDP recently said that it will begin to try tracking digital game purchases and subscriptions(MMO revenue). WoW alone makes more profit than sony and microsoft currently are.

Around the Network

It will be a while before the average PC sets itself apart from the HD console.
Sure the top PC already do, but not every PC gamer has a 250$ graphic card.
+ lets not forget that PC runs game at 1600x1200 and consoles run them at a much lower resolution...

Average Dell PC ( I mean the 600-700$ PC)you can buy these days has a NVidia 8600 GT which while being better than what you find in HD consoles isn't that much better when you factor the higher resolution it has to run at compared to HD consoles.

Sure you can have a lot more graphic power running 8800 SLI but not that many people do.......

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !

Ssyn said:
akuma587 said:
This is false, the PC market is far superior in terms of revenue than the HD consoles atm, its very hard to track so I imagine that is why this site doesn't bother but NDP recently said that it will begin to try tracking digital game purchases and subscriptions(MMO revenue).

"Far superior"? Aren't you over-exaggerating a bit?

Ail said:

Average Dell PC ( I mean the 600-700$ PC)you can buy these days has a NVidia 8600 GT which while being better than what you find in HD consoles isn't that much better when you factor the higher resolution it has to run at compared to HD consoles.

Not true. 8600 is the crap. A Geforce 8600GT/GTS is much weaker than the GPUs in X360/PS3 (which have similar performance to a X1900XT 256Mb and 7900GT respectively). It's a well known fact that the 8600 was hardly an improvement over the 7600 cards (apart from the HD-decoding).

sc94597 said:
zero129 said:
Just to put a quick end to this..
The same thing that's happened every other gen...Nothing..
Both the PS3 and 360 will still be getting great games, just like it's been in every other gen.

Ok here are the top rated games for 360.

http://www.gamerankings.com/itemrankings/simpleratings.asp

Title
Plat
Company
Reviews
Avg.
Vote
Avg
Score
1. Grand Theft Auto IV X360 Rockstar Games 71 8.3 97.230%
2. The Orange Box X360 EA Games 56 9.1 96.300%
3. BioShock X360 2K Games 93 9.3 95.387%
4. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare X360 Activision 77 9.1 94.155%
5. The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion X360 2K Games 105 9.2 93.840%
6. Gears of War X360 Microsoft Game Studios 112 8.7 93.750%
7. Halo 3 X360 Microsoft Game Studios 89 8.5 93.442%
8. Rock Band X360 MTV Games 57 7.0 92.727%
9. Guitar Hero II X360 RedOctane 62 8.1 92.253%
10. Mass Effect X360 Microsoft Game Studios 80 9.2 9

2 Pc port

3 Pc port

4 Pc port

5 Pc port

6 Was made for a console first, then more than a year later a PC version came out.

That is 4/10 games we wouldn't have if the pc set itself apart.

Also, how do you know that the games wouldn't have been developed for consoles first?  Even if PCs become more far more powerful, what makes you think devs will just 'stop' making console games, when console games on average sell far more?

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."
Ssyn said:
akuma587 said:
This is false, the PC market is far superior in terms of revenue than the HD consoles atm, its very hard to track so I imagine that is why this site doesn't bother but NDP recently said that it will begin to try tracking digital game purchases and subscriptions(MMO revenue). WoW alone makes more profit than sony and microsoft currently are.

WoW is the exception, not the rule. WoW makes a lot of money bot those people play mostly WoW and won't buy a lot of new games as they already pay 30$/month (or something like that) to play it. The PC gaming market is completely cannibalized by piracy (except for MMO which is what truly thrives on PC). It's no wonder even Epic and Valve started to support the consoles.

OT: I don't think much will happen. Most popular games on HD consoles are not PC port such as Halo, GTA, Final Fantasy, Rock Band, etc. However, PC will never have an impact on consoles. Just look in the past if you want a confirmation. While we're playing games such as Super Mario World on SNES, computers had games like Myst which looked so much better than consoles. Yet, the PC gaming never really stopped the expansion of the console market which grows yearly (and even without the Wii). Besides, programming games for Xbox360 is really similar to program games for PC. In that case, it's in those companies best interests to release games for both PC and Xbox360 (at least) even if the graphics are not as good.

How many cups of darkness have I drank over the years? Even I don't know...

Ail said:
It will be a while before the average PC sets itself apart from the HD console.
Sure the top PC already do, but not every PC gamer has a 250$ graphic card.
+ lets not forget that PC runs game at 1600x1200 and consoles run them at a much lower resolution...

Sure you can have a lot more graphic power running 8800 SLI but not that many people do.......

YOu don't realize how fast pcs advance do you? A year from now most pcs will be getting the integrated Cpu and Gpu in one processor which is suppose to make the average processor advance enough to play most games of the current. pcs advance really fast, they are already starting to set apart from consoles with games like far cry 2 running so poorly on consoles compared to pc. I belieive this could be good and bad. There will be more than just pc ports for my hd consoles, and my purchase woul dhave been more worth it,  but not as many pc games for other people who like them to play on consoles.