By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What happens after pc sets itself apart graphically from ps360?

I've got like 5 lvl 70 characters, but quit 5 months ago because it was a little sad when I would wake up at 5 am on weekends and go to bed like 3 am all day playihng WoW. Some days I even missed school.I joined vgc a little while after I quit, and now WoW seems like nothing compared to this addiction.

Around the Network
JaggedSac said:
sc94597 said:
JaggedSac said:
sc94597 said:
@ JaggedSac
$500 dollar pc running crysis on high
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/cpu-graphic-game,1907-4.html

Intersting bench-mark. At only 1024X768 the system could only manage a measly 37 fps with no AA. Not impressive. Wonder if they actually played a large portion of the game, including fights with explosions and heavy usage of the physics engine, because they never specify. What you just proved is that even at a baseline of $500 the Crysis graphics that everyone loves so much, just aren't there. Now increase the resolution to where it is widescreen. See how the frame rate likes that. The XBox360 handles my 42" 1080p well. That IGN reviewer's system is well over $500.

YEt the game probably looks better than any console game. Good luck playing the mass of array iof 1080p games.......oh wait. SO your point?

Actually GoW looks pretty darn good. And in fact looks worse on the PC. Textures are more important than polygons. UT 3 looks better than Crysis in my opinion and runs better too.

Wait are you kidding me?

The PC Version has higher resolution textures, better models, and a higher resolution image + better controls.  I don't even see how you can say it looks worse on PC when Epic Games themselves even said it looks better on PC.

And I doubt you've ever even seen Crysis run on Ultra settings, or probably even ever seen it run at all for that matter.  But the game definitely looks way better than UT3.  If you've seen it run on Ultra in real life you'll know what I'm talking about.

PC Gamer

the problem isnt the console's getting PC ports they release the it on three platforms for the most money the PC doesnt move softwear like the console's and graphically speaking the PC has more muscle with the right hardware but games on a console when optimized for the console will look great too.

console arent running windows and dont have a lot of crap in the back ground they are dedicated gaming rigs so a pc with the same specs would have a really hard time keeping up!

But in answer to your question they will push games on the PC but the PC is hugh end to low end market and most games aim for the middle and obviusly depending on the pc you can turn on or off features in a game they will continue to make pc ports with less feature because the console marketis more lucrative!

A lot of assumptions in the original post.

Some of the biggest selling features for consoles are ease-of-use and guaranteed compatibility for new games.

Until PC/OS companies make their machines and software as simple as plugging in a console and putting in a disc, there will be a significant market for consoles.

PC gamers seem to be the hardest core users... they want maximum settings, performance, mods, etc. That's great for PC gamers, but it's not for everyone. I quit PC gaming (except for RTS games) primarily because I didn't have the time to keep upgrading my PC every other year so I could play the hottest games without knocking the settings way down.

crumas2 said:
A lot of assumptions in the original post.

Some of the biggest selling features for consoles are ease-of-use and guaranteed compatibility for new games.

Until PC/OS companies make their machines and software as simple as plugging in a console and putting in a disc, there will be a significant market for consoles.

PC gamers seem to be the hardest core users... they want maximum settings, performance, mods, etc. That's great for PC gamers, but it's not for everyone. I quit PC gaming (except for RTS games) primarily because I didn't have the time to keep upgrading my PC every other year so I could play the hottest games without knocking the settings way down.

That has nothing to do with the OP though. I'm not talking about hardware, I'm talking about software, and how much the ps360 rely on pc ports. 

Around the Network

i think one problem that pc is going to run into very soon is that people wont actually care about the difference in graphics. It will all just be about games and price, which tilts strongly in the favor of consoles after not so long.

my pillars of gaming: kh, naughty dog, insomniac, ssb, gow, ff

i officially boycott boycotts.  crap.

^well actually i think PC has a great line-up so we cant say it will have worse games

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

brute said:
^well actually i think PC has a great line-up so we cant say it will have worse games

i agree, which is why it favors pc at the start of each gen.  pc is always consistant.  so at the start consoles and pc's have high costs, but pc's have better games.  but after a few pricecuts, time has been nice to consoles and increased the amount of games while reducing the cost.  PC stays at about the same cost and same game output (although this year is freaking good) throughout the whole time.

my pillars of gaming: kh, naughty dog, insomniac, ssb, gow, ff

i officially boycott boycotts.  crap.

soccerdrew17 said:
brute said:

i agree, which is why it favors pc at the start of each gen. pc is always consistant. so at the start consoles and pc's have high costs, but pc's have better games. but after a few pricecuts, time has been nice to consoles and increased the amount of games while reducing the cost. PC stays at about the same cost and same game output (although this year is freaking good) throughout the whole time.

Except that PC cost has come down immensely over the last few years. It used to cost $1200 for a mid range PC and now you can buy that same level of performance for $600.

Also component costs do come down as the generation progresses. If you expect that there were going to be a certain number of console ports etc you want to pay then the cost for those cards actually reduces as time goes by.

8800gts320mb - forgot the price, say $250 vs a 9600gt now which costs less than $150. 

So long as you're not expecting massive resolutions on huge monitors its possible to keep up cheaply with small or no upgrades on resolutions up to 1280/1080 or 1440/whatever - 17/19" montitors or HDTVs. 

Tease.

zero129 said:
Why is this topic even still alive O_o .

The PC pulling ahard in graphics will have no effect once so ever on consoles.
It never has and it never will (How many more times am i going to have to say this??.

@SC

The Price of developing games on both the PS3 and 360 will be alot less,
just like its so cheap to make games for the Wii now,
it will be the same for the HD consoles as developers will have their engines done etc..

The PC will get games that won't come to the Consoles (Always been the case and has never effected consoles before so why would it now?).

Now you basing your whole argument on the fact that the HD consoles has alot of ports from PC (Not true since almost all of them games where made for consoles first then ported to PC or made for all 3 PCS360 in mind, except for the odd one but most of the big sellers have),
that's meanly cos the HD consoles are so powerful this gen and so much easier then ever to port games from the PC to them.

Where you seem to fail and it's been pointed out to you lots of times already,
the is alot of other 3rd party company's making games for them HD consoles that have always meanly been console developers they are not going to just stop making games for them HD consoles.

the HD consoles software and 3rd party support is not just going to die off.

So thats why it will not matter.
Sorry, but name me all of these games that were made on consoles first then ported to pc that are on the lists I posted. The only one I know is Gears of War.