By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Why do people keep claiming MGS4 is PS3's saviour?

EaglesEye379 said:
I have already read around 5 posts where peoples expectations are between 400k-600k for PS3 during MGS4 week. That means they expect it to even more than double. However, some of the posters are of course questionable, but still, the expectations are there, silly as they are. In fact the highest one of 600k I read tonight.

somehow I doubt what you said is the same as

"But some of you make it sound like the PS3's weekly total will permanently double once this game is released"

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)
Around the Network

@tabsina

why do you think a BIG GT 5 fan hasn't brought it....I refuse to pay for a demo thats why, its like giving free cash to them!

so I feel I can call it a demo.

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

EaglesEye379 said:
I have already read around 5 posts where peoples expectations are between 400k-600k for PS3 during MGS4 week. That means they expect it to even more than double. However, some of the posters are of course questionable, but still, the expectations are there, silly as they are. In fact the highest one of 600k I read tonight.

Superchunk said this:

But some of you make it sound like the PS3's weekly total will permanently double once this game is released.

I am pretty sure that the people you are talking about are talking about one week or maybe two but not permanently...Right?

I will have to fully agree with Superchunk on this one. A lot of people on this chat forum do not understand why the PS3 is not selling like crazy. Its game don't appeal to anyone but to the hardcore--a niche group that's a dying breed (heavy-violence and lack of positive intelligence that doesn't solve anything; aka GTA). Of course the casuals, over time, will become a better and new form of this emo-hardcore group we have now that is more centric and bent on having fun rather than bleeding your eyes into an orgasm while your brain goes dead.

Besides, does the new gaming community need the same experience rather than giving something new? I'd say that Nintendo got it right and people love 'change.'

Besides, Superchunk, the ONLY console that benefited on the release of GTAIV was NOT the PS3 or X360. It was the Wii with nearly 1 million units sold on the release week of GTAIV, and that games not available on the Wii. I think that when MGS4 is released, the Wii will go past 500k units sold. I bet Nintendo is holding back on their Wii consoles when the competition is releasing a heavy-hitter game title.

EDIT: Oh, and to be on topic, I think the only games that would save the PS3 are the ones that appeal to the mass-market and not something that will turn people off. Something that's easy to play and understand. I don't think Sony has anything like that in their arsenal. When I look on IGN for their games list on releasement, they are games that I don't think any family would want to own. They need something family-oriented. BADLY...otherwise I don't think their system can try to bring back marketshare or fanbase.

kingofwale said:
EaglesEye379 said:

"But some of you make it sound like the PS3's weekly total will permanently double once this game is released"

You forgot to highlight 'sound like' meaning I wasn't directly quoting only giving my interpretation of various threads/posts I have read in regards to MGS4.  

Around the Network
Naraku_Diabolos said:

Besides, Superchunk, the ONLY console that benefited on the release of GTAIV was NOT the PS3 or X360. It was the Wii with nearly 1 million units sold on the release week of GTAIV, and that games not available on the Wii.

Now that's just not right at all.  Both HD consoles had a decent boost for GTA week unless you're going by NPD numbers.

Naraku_Diabolos said:

I will have to fully agree with Superchunk on this one. A lot of people on this chat forum do not understand why the PS3 is not selling like crazy. Its game don't appeal to anyone but to the hardcore--a niche group that's a dying breed (heavy-violence and lack of positive intelligence that doesn't solve anything; aka GTA). Of course the casuals, over time, will become a better and new form of this emo-hardcore group we have now that is more centric and bent on having fun rather than bleeding your eyes into an orgasm while your brain goes dead.

Besides, does the new gaming community need the same experience rather than giving something new? I'd say that Nintendo got it right and people love 'change.'

Besides, Superchunk, the ONLY console that benefited on the release of GTAIV was NOT the PS3 or X360. It was the Wii with nearly 1 million units sold on the release week of GTAIV, and that games not available on the Wii. I think that when MGS4 is released, the Wii will go past 500k units sold. I bet Nintendo is holding back on their Wii consoles when the competition is releasing a heavy-hitter game title.

Oh, Absolutely, The only reason Wii sold well that week was because of GTAIV.

No, it's not because of Wiifit's preorder.

No, it's not from Mario Kart launch.

Heck, it's DEFINITELY not due to Nintendo finally opening up their warehouse and shipped TONS of consoles to retailers.

Yes, it's because of GTAIV. 

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:

@Naraku_Diabolos

GOd...what an awful post

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

superchunk said:
kingofwale said:
EaglesEye379 said:

You forgot to highlight 'sound like' meaning I wasn't directly quoting only giving my interpretation of various threads/posts I have read in regards to MGS4.

and yet, you couldn't even come close to show us where those "sounds" are coming from???

selnor
Episode 2:

Yep you both are right, my bad.

However, the sentiments that superchunk stated are still out there. Have you read the recent PS3 rising to power thread?

I think also the fact that alot of people seem to think PS3 can reach 22-25m (9-12m in 7 months left) by 2008 shows this.