By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Why do people keep claiming MGS4 is PS3's saviour?

It will create an amazing change in the sales... the ps3 however doesnt need a saviour. The xbox is still being out sold 27 weeks now!

Around the Network
starcraft said:
CrazzyMan said:
starcraft said:
TheRealMafoo said:
I think people are worried, because it's only tracking as well as the PS2 did. At this rate, it's doomed to only sell 120 million consoles. It needs a game to save it.

http://vgchartz.com/hwlaunch.php?cons1=PS2®1=All&cons2=PS3®2=All&cons3=X360®3=All&weeks=102
Hehe.

Try aligning regional launches.

For what purpose? Only TOTAL sales matter, since PS3 is doing ok in all regions. =) And will do better after MGS4 launch. =]]

Exactly. And on total sales, the PS3 is FAR behind the Xbox 360 and Wii and FAR behind where the PS2 was when we consider identical launches in all regions.

You PS3 fans like to say the Xbox 360 is only in front because it got a headstart. Well you cant use a different measure of success when you apply it to the PS2 vs PS3 race.
Actually, I don't think that's correct.  You could say that before, when the PS2's relative sales hadn't even come out in Europe or had only been out for a little while, but we're 18 months into the PS3's life.  The PS2 at that point had been out in all regions for 9 months.  Let it go.

Far more important is the asynchronous holiday season.  It's quite obvious that the PS3 graph is only comparable to the PS2's because "Christmas came early".  Observe that in about 8 weeks the PS3 will be in August, while the PS2 will be (on the comparison graph) entering a holiday season that gives it 6 million units in 7 weeks.  The PS3 will still be 4 months away from December and when it does get there it will not be selling like the PS2 did. 

In 8 weeks the PS3 can be selling better than ever and it will still fall far behind the PS2 on the comparison graph, never to catch up. 

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

To the OP: I think that it's more the case that MGS4 will perform better than most other titles on the PS3, but that's a given. What remains to be seen is how many consoles the game pushes. In my own theory, I think Nintendo is going to send out a super shipment of Wii Fit the same week that mGS4 launches, to steal its thunder and make PS3 sales seem weak in comparison. Screaming man syndrome - guy starts screaming to get noticed, another guy breaks out a bullhorn to drown him out.

I think that time and cost are going to be in the PS3's favor, just like how the PSP has been a late bloomer. It will not likely surpass the XB360 anytime soon, but I think it might do so in a few years down the line. The unfortunate side to this is that just like the gamecube, by the point that the system really picks up the pace, 3rd party support will have faded.

dbot said:
eliasg said:

Gears of War 2 will have a greater impact to XBOX 360 sales than MGS4 to PS3.

*I am talking about the difference the week before the realese day...

2 reasons why Geow2 will not have a big impact on console sales:

1) Geow1 was released on the 360.  If it was released on the original xbox you could safely argue that there is a core group of gamers waiting for its HD 360 release to buy a console.   Much like the large numbers of consumers that are waiting for MGS4 to release on the PS3.  (Similar to the Halo 3 effect on the 360).

2) Geow2 does not bring anything new to the platform.  It will be a great game but it's still another shooter.  I doubt there are any xbox fans that skipped the release of Halo 3 but will buy the 360 for Geow 2.

Ass kicking- served

I hope my 360 doesn't RRoD
         "Suck my balls!" - Tag courtesy of Fkusmot

[edit:  deleted misconception-based post]

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

Around the Network

MGS4 is PS3's saviour in Japan. We've seen it happen with Monster Hunter and if this game fails to spark any interest in the console, it's all over for another year.

sooooooo..... I TOLD YOU SO!!!!!!

One week after MGS4 and BAM! right back at 'normal' sales for this year. Hell, it even dropped off faster than after GTA4. Still the only single game I have seen this generation caused a change for more than a week has been Halo 3 when the 360 actually topped the Wii in NA for almost 5 weeks (WW for 2).

Worldwide chart:
http://vgchartz.com/hwcomps.php?cons1=Wii&reg1=All&cons2=PS3&reg2=All&cons3=X360&reg3=All&start=39453&end=39621

Japan Chart: (Granted Japan hasn't gotten to its yearly average yet. But, it will.)
http://vgchartz.com/hwcomps.php?cons1=Wii&reg1=Japan&cons2=PS3&reg2=Japan&cons3=X360&reg3=Japan&start=39453&end=39621

NA Chart:
http://vgchartz.com/hwcomps.php?cons1=Wii&reg1=America&cons2=PS3&reg2=America&cons3=X360&reg3=America&start=39453&end=39621

Others Chart:
http://vgchartz.com/hwcomps.php?cons1=Wii&reg1=Total+Other&cons2=PS3&reg2=Total+Other&cons3=X360&reg3=Total+Other&start=39453&end=39621

Everyone needs to see this thread.

/bump

Kimi wa ne tashika ni ano toki watashi no soba ni ita

Itsudatte itsudatte itsudatte

Sugu yoko de waratteita

Nakushitemo torimodosu kimi wo

I will never leave you