By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Official Ubisoft constructive criticism thread. No boycott. No whining.

I'll start.  I am really disappointed that Sean White on the HD systems is using an established engine for the HD systems, but the Wii version is using an engine that would barely pass on the Dreamcast. Don't they have access to higher quality middleware in that range. The Wii version doesn't have to look great, just more detailed than SSX, which was a PS2 launch title (at least in the US).

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Around the Network

BTW, Nintendo restated that Wiiware has 100 games either completed or in development.

If Ubisoft hasn't already, it's as good a place as any to have high quality, low risk development. 

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

The fact Ubisoft has to be questioned and critiqued to begin with is proof something is not right.

Onimusha12 said:
The fact Ubisoft has to be questioned and critiqued to begin with is proof something is not right.

Duh. The point is to just state what is wrong in a reasonable manner. 

My main thought with Ubisoft at the moment is "Why on earth would you choose to put Beyond Good and Evil on the HD consoles?"

Beyond Good and Evil was a very enjoyable game and its greatest strengths was was its stylish and colorful (HD Translation: Childish) art style, and its accessable and creative gameplay (HD Translation: Casual); basically, everything which the HD console owners seem to reject.

I could be wrong, but I'm starting to expect a replay of Psychonaughts where a large budget, high qualty, very unique game bombs because they didn't target the gamers who would apprieciate the game the most. There are two platforms on the market right now which are (entirely) focused on creative and unique gameplay experiences and somehow Ubisoft decided to release its most creative and unique game on the other platforms which tend to reject creative and unique gameplay experiences in favour of shooters and similar genres...

-Edited by moderator 

Around the Network
Onimusha12 said:

I agree, Nintendo should grow some balls and not allow games of any quality less then high onto their system. It sickens me as much as it apparently sickens you that a publisher who has never had their hand slapped for making a bad game by having their right to put it on a console taken away is being questioned when Nintendo keeps slapping the OK on to sub par games and allowing you sad saps to buy them.

Its sickening, and I hope more people are like you Onimusha and realize that Nintendo needs to step up to the plate and stem this tide of crap games, because as soon as they put a Quality Assurance system in place on the publishers they would stop making shovelware for the system as that it would just loose them money. 

I own all three current consoles and a great gaming rig, now thats out of the way.

This space Reserved for the Nuggets of Wisdom dropped by Bladeforce:

"Why post something like this when all it will get is PS3 owners blinded to reality replying? BOTH THE PS3 AND BLUE-RAY WILL NOT LAST 3 YEARS! TECHNOLOGY CHANGED TOO FAST!"

"is it Wii FIt that has sold as many as PS3's sold? Thats a LOL Look at the total sales of software is it just me that sees Nintendo titles hitting 10m+ and you say they arent making a difference? Another LOL!"

"Hell, with all the negative hype Sony spin, people just aren't interested cost is too high and to get the true HD experience (1080p, 7.1 surround) you will need a $1000+ system. THAT IS GOING TO DO IT IN A RECESSION! PS4 will not happen"

|_emmiwinks said:
Onimusha12 said:

I agree, Nintendo should grow some balls and not allow games of any quality less then high onto their system. It sickens me as much as it apparently sickens you that a publisher who has never had their hand slapped for making a bad game by having their right to put it on a console taken away is being questioned when Nintendo keeps slapping the OK on to sub par games and allowing you sad saps to buy them.

Its sickening, and I hope more people are like you Onimusha and realize that Nintendo needs to step up to the plate and stem this tide of crap games, because as soon as they put a Quality Assurance system in place on the publishers they would stop making shovelware for the system as that it would just loose them money. 

Nintendo use to do that and all of the 3rd parties bitched about it. This is one of the many reasons they lost third party support. I say that a game has to reach certain standards but those standards can't be too high. 

HappySqurriel said:

My main thought with Ubisoft at the moment is "Why on earth would you choose to put Beyond Good and Evil on the HD consoles?"

Beyond Good and Evil was a very enjoyable game and its greatest strengths was was its stylish and colorful (HD Translation: Childish) art style, and its accessable and creative gameplay (HD Translation: Casual); basically, everything which the HD console owners seem to reject.

I could be wrong, but I'm starting to expect a replay of Psychonaughts where a large budget, high qualty, very unique game bombs because they didn't target the gamers who would apprieciate the game the most. There are two platforms on the market right now which are (entirely) focused on creative and unique gameplay experiences and somehow Ubisoft decided to release its most creative and unique game on the other platforms which tend to reject creative and unique gameplay experiences in favour of generic "HD" shooters ...

now, I don't work for Ubisoft, so I can't speak for their financial dealings. But still, I shall try my best to answer.

Why? More than a few reasons.

1... their first game was on Sony, so there's a recognition factor.

2... sales number-wise HD Consoles > Wii

3... Being the TOP Casual game in HD consoles vs competition for market share with 32423432 other casual games. Ubisoft has obviously made the decision to draw casual fans themselves, as oppose to rely on Wii's existing fanbase.

4... On platforms that are KNOWN to reward good games vs on platforms that more likely to reward KNOWN characters. Heck, I don't think Ubisoft has that advantage. 

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)
kingofwale said:
HappySqurriel said:

I could be wrong, but I'm starting to expect a replay of Psychonaughts where a large budget, high qualty, very unique game bombs because they didn't target the gamers who would apprieciate the game the most. There are two platforms on the market right now which are (entirely) focused on creative and unique gameplay experiences and somehow Ubisoft decided to release its most creative and unique game on the other platforms which tend to reject creative and unique gameplay experiences in favour of generic "HD" shooters ...

now, I don't work for Ubisoft, so I can't speak for their financial dealings. But still, I shall try my best to answer.

Why? More than a few reasons.

1... their first game was on Sony, so there's a recognition factor.

2... sales number-wise HD Consoles > Wii

3... Being the TOP Casual game in HD consoles vs competition for market share with 32423432 other casual games. Ubisoft has obviously made the decision to draw casual fans themselves, as oppose to rely on Wii's existing fanbase.

4... On platforms that are KNOWN to reward good games vs on platforms that more likely to reward KNOWN characters. Heck, I don't think Ubisoft has that advantage. 

1) The first game was on the Gamecube, XBox, PS2 and PC so the "recognition factor" will be equal (bad considering the previous sales) across all platforms.

2) This may be the point at the moment, but being that the Wii has been outselling the HD consoles combined for awhile and Beyond Good and Evil 2 won't be out for quite awhile this (potentially) will not be the case upon release of the game; and even if they have outsold the Wii the margin will not be large enough to compensate for the (dramatically) higher development cost

3) BG&E is no more casual than Mario, Zelda, Ratchet and Clank, Jak and Daxter, Sly Cooper, Banjo Kazooie, and Kameo ... As you can see there is quite a bit of competition on all consoles

4) Grand Theft Auto 4, Call of Duty 4, Metal Gear Sold 4, and Halo 3 and most other big selling HD games are sequels of huge franchises; all consoles tend to reward known franchises.

LordTheNightKnight said:
I'll start.  I am really disappointed that Sean White on the HD systems is using an established engine for the HD systems, but the Wii version is using an engine that would barely pass on the Dreamcast. Don't they have access to higher quality middleware in that range. The Wii version doesn't have to look great, just more detailed than SSX, which was a PS2 launch title (at least in the US).

I think Ubisoft generally feel they've hit a genre that hasn't been announced for the balance board yet as all devs are clambouring to support the thing at the moment (think they see this as the best way to help software sales).  Problem is I fully expect there to either be a SSX or a 1080 announced at E3 and I think both of these titles would do better.