By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - How did 3rd party support come to the ds?

Did it come in a pulse then there the ds had third parties or did it gradually get better and better. I don't remember. I do predict the wii will follow the path of the ds though in terms of third party support. For me that is a good thing.

Around the Network

It always has good third party support

it got better and better on DS,and it will get better and better on wii

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

Riachu said:
It always has good third party support

No it started out with very poor 3rd party support compared to the psp.

When the PSP was introduced everyone thought the DS would die, so 3rd party support came later.

Seems like history repeats itself!

Currently Playing:

Wii: Mario Kart Wii, Wii Sports Resort

Xbox360: Fifa 2009, Halflife 2 Episode 2
------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 
Want to play:
Wii: Lego Indiana Jones, SMG2
Xbox360: MW2
Around the Network

@PEETEE But did it come all at once or over a long period of time.

From what I can remember the improvement in third party support on the DS started off awful in 2004, and it slowly improved through 2005 and 2006; by E3 2006 developers were really starting to back the DS with many more good games. It wasn't until 2007 that the DS really had the third party support that was appropriate for a system which was as dominant as it is.

HappySqurriel said:

From what I can remember the improvement in third party support on the DS started off awful in 2004, and it slowly improved through 2005 and 2006; by E3 2006 developers were really starting to back the DS with many more good games. It wasn't until 2007 that the DS really had the third party support that was appropriate for a system which was as dominant as it is.

Oh so it got better gradually over time. I hope the wii doesn't take too long to get ds levels.

I think it was likely around the time it became clear that Liberty City Stories was not going to turn the PSP into the next PS2, and the fact that the few 3rd party games on the DS were turning a healthy profit.

I think the floodgates opened around the time Dragon Quest IX was announced for the DS.

Although if I had some kind of timeline, that would help.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

sc94597 said:
@PEETEE But did it come all at once or over a long period of time.

it came over a long period

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"