By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - MGS4 or Brawl?!

Buy MGS 4 it is on the PS3. Anything not on the PS3 does not interest me.

Around the Network

If you're looking for a good single player game, buy MGS4.
If you're looking for a good online game, you can argue for both.
If you're looking for a good game to play with friends at your house, buy Brawl.

Easy.

Shameless said:
If you're looking for a good single player game, buy MGS4.
If you're looking for a good online game, you can argue for both.
If you're looking for a good game to play with friends at your house, buy Brawl.

Easy.

Well that sounds fairly easy. I'd almost say too easy but it still sounds correct. I don't know about Brawl's single player portion so I can't say a thing about that (well, except for that usually fighting games tend to have 'bad' single player but Brawl sounds extraordinarily good so I don't really know) but otherwise I think I must agree. Really, you're making it too easy.

Easily Brawl, if you've never played MGS before there's no way you should pick up MGS4. If you somehow get the opportunity to play MGS2 and 3, as well as Twin Snakes, then I might suggest picking MGS4 up after that (even though I'm personally not a fan of MGS4, despite loving the series prior to it), but as it stands now, Brawl.

If you havnet played MGS before, SSBB makes more sense, personally im buying both!

Around the Network

Both are good choices. MGS4 has 9 hours of cutscenes, so even if you haven't played the others, this is the end of the story which means all those loose ends will be tied up anyways, whether you played them or not. People wonder why it has 9 hours of video? Easy... the story is how many years old now? 10+ easy? Alot of backstory to cover as well as MGS4 itself.

Any of the reviews state whether or not the older games storylines are tied into MGS4 to provide backstory for those who haven't played the other 3? I hope so, as it makes sense. I am currently replaying MGS2 just in case.

Damn I love this games music. :)

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

I'm in the same boat. I want both SSBB and MGS4 but only have time for 1. Having played SSB for years and only playing 1 MGS (twin snakes) there was one clear choice, MGS4 can wait a few months. They're both great franchise but you should go for SSBB especially since you've never played MG before.

StarcraftManiac said:

So, first read what I mean by this comparison:

Brawl is coming out here in Europe in 'not so long'. By that I mean; This month!!! Finally... Also, MGS4 is coming out on June 14th here in Europe. I've got this dilemma however, I only got the $ for 1 of the two... Sadly.

I wanna point out that I've never played a MGS game before, maybe that can wage in on my opinion on the game and (the understanding of) it's storyline. I plan to pick up The Twin Snakes for Gamecube though. I don't own a PS1 or PS2... My PS3 isn't backwards compatible, so I can't play the others.

For Super Smash Bros, I've been known with the franchise for a longer period then MGS. I own Melee (although I suck at it) and have played it a lot with friends. Enjoy the franchise!

Now, the obvious but inevitable question; What game should I pick up?!

Super Smash Bros Brawl OR Metal Gear Solid 4.

-Note: Don't answer by what gaming platform YOU prefer, answer by reading the points given in this post and analysing what you think I can enjoy myself most with!

MGS3 will be hard to play without BC but MGS2 is available on PC. MGS4 comes directly after 1 and 2 I believe, 3 is a great game, but I believe majority of the important points in 3 will be highlighted in 4.

You seem to really enjoy smash though so you seem to have your heart set already. Personally I saw it to be no different from Melee. Plus the fact I don't play much with my friends these days as we have work.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

I don't think it has been mentioned yet but with Brawl is seems to be slower paced than Melee, which was a huge problem for me as I was a HUGE fan of the original. Brawl seems to fit me better than Melee did. The only Smash game I didn't really enjoy due to it being so damn fast and it was too easy for someone to unleash a hellish combo on you.

If you liked the original, you'll love Brawl.

Only bad part for me is that they completely DESTROYED Capt. Falcon. They nerfed alot of characters but Falcon I believe got it the worst. Used to be my fav character. Samus got nerfed as well, but nowhere near as bad.

Edit- Scratch the Samus comment. From what I heard from Brawl players, other than Zero Suit Samus, the original Samus is damn near unplayable now.

Who was your favorite? I play Toon Link now.

Currently playing:

Brawl FTW!!