By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - EGM boycott: no Metal Gear Solid 4 review

That's it, I'm boycotting every game company and going back to playing with "action figures" aka man dolls.

Around the Network

I just checked the magazine.  The actual preview article from the magazine states:

"We weren't happy with the limitations Konami wanted to impose on our comments, and rather than publish compromised reviews in the interest of being the first to rate the game, we'd rather wait until next issue, where we can be completely open and thorough with our comments." 

They are not boycotting or refusing to review the game.  They are just (correctly) not agreeing to Konami's limitations on what can revealed before launch.  The will review the game in their next issue.

Hmm 90 min cutscenes are a tad bit long. On the other hand the game is made for fans not for new to the game fans like DMC4. Good on Konami for making a game for the fans, and bad on the for restricting the reviewers, I bet a large amount of fans would be enticed at the 90 min cut scene remark, and even more so at the 4GB install.

I gather most would think it was extra content or to make the game better, so yeah I doubt anyone would see it as a bad thing. If you have time to play any MGS game, you have time to watch a 90min cut scene or wait for a 20-40min min install. 

Why would a developer want to censor the reviewer in the first place? It's totally unacceptable, especially since this is the US, "the world's most liberal country", we are talking about!

In fact, EGM's refusal to review this game would lower the typical consumer's perception of MGS4.

My collection of guides on GameFAQs: Read them here

My latest guide on GameFAQs, for Little King's Story! Read it here 

I have to question the sanity of whoever made this decision at Konami. I wonder if it was the same person who decided to launch PES 2008 with all its bugs on the PS3 and 360?

What's worse, having people know about the cutscenes and installation, or facing a potential backlash over their attempt to censor reviewers and control what information is received by the gaming public?

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Around the Network
SpartanFX said:
lol @ selnor

yea I won't be buying lost oddyssey for the same reason as you won't buy MGS4,,,,

cause we don't have required platforms to play those games,,,,nice try though

lol

colonelstubbs said:
I think they have made the right move in not allowing themselves to be governed by Konami but....who can honestly blame Konami? They have a lot riding on this game

If Konami is trying to pressure reviewers into giving a dishonest picture about the game, then maybe Konami doesn't trust MGS4: the game video to sell as much as it should.

If Konami (or any game developer, for that matter) had enough confidence in their game, they wouldn't resort to crap like this, even when the game in question is a mammoth game like MGS4.

Warning: The preceding message may or may not have included sarcasm, cynicism, irony, full stops, commas, slashes, words, letters, sentences, lines, quotes,  flaeed  gramar, cryptic metaphors or other means of annoying communication. Viewer discretion is/was strongly advised.

Seems to be a theme of this generation. Sony sent out the infamous Lair Reviewers Guide. Now Konami has imposed information sanctions on their MGS4 review copies.

Hell, we may as well get the reviews straight from the publishers themselves at this rate.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

Well, EGM said they're still reviewing it, just after the restrictions are lifted.

So they're not boycotting in the sense of not reviewing, just waiting. Also, they just wanted to get some attention.

Good for them... the game should be reviewed as it comes, if it needs 4Gb say it, if there is some big cutscenees, say it...

By me:

Made with Blender + LuxRender
"Since you can´t understand ... there is no point to taking you seriously."