By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Breaking news: first US MGS4 review on the net!

http://www.sonydefenseforce.com/

A few weeks ago, Sony Defense Force had the pleasure to entertain an opportunity of a lifetime. We were personally invited to Kojima’s luxurious resort in the mountain village of Nasu, Japan in order to play through the entire final version of Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots. Sound incredible enough? Wait until you actually play through the game for yourself when it releases on store shelves on June 12, 2008.

Before we embarked on our adventure, we were a bit skeptical of how Metal Gear Solid 4 would turn out; after all, Sony Defense Force is world-renowned for its critical eye regarding the gaming industry - Sony included. MGS4 is a title that has received numerous delays and is releasing after Metal Gear Solid 2 and 3 failed to live up to our high expectations. Would MGS4 live up to the hype and deliver a ground breaking title we’ve been waiting years for?…

With this in mind, we kept an unbiased and critical perspective when we checked into the main Konami offices that boasted a beautiful Zen garden for our introductory get-together. The check in process was fairly awkward - we had been informed that we needed to change our clothes to something more comfortable. Konami provided us with silk pyjamas which would be our attire for the entire duration of our three day excursion. After being fitted for our proper playthrough garbs, we now had the chance to meet the famous Hideo Kojima. When we walked into his office, he sat atop a throne of gold and was currently in the process of deep meditation as the Metal Gear Solid 4 Soundtrack played in the background. Never wanting to disrespect a master at work, we quietly made our way out of his office when Kojima abruptly eased our fears and told us to stay. Four personal female assistants then carried Kojima off of his throne and placed him on a couch clothed in leopard skin. We had never been so amazed in our lives. Kojima resembled a deity.

end of core gaming days prediction:

E3 2006-The beginning of the end. Wii introduced

E3 2008- Armageddon. Wii motion plus introduced. Wii Music. Reggie says Animal crossing was a core game. Massive disappointment. many Wii core gamers selling their Wii.

E3 2010- Tape runs out

http://www.fivedoves.com/letters/march2009/ICG_Tape_runs_out.jpg

Around the Network

Refer to thread titled: Another solid MGS4 review, AAA confirmed?

Dogg, they didn't spend 3 years and 100's of millions on this game for it to be shitty.

I mean c'mon. This game is destined for greatness.

^and it is greatness,its averaging over 95

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

Greatness is subjective. It looks as if this game will be a love/hate one like MGS2 was.
Personally I loved MGS2 so I'll probably enjoy this game too.

But I expect a rush of disappointed posters similar to the lashback that came after MGS2.

Around the Network

There will be no backlash!

None!

I hope my 360 doesn't RRoD
         "Suck my balls!" - Tag courtesy of Fkusmot

Considering that even some early reviews have already raised complaints about the plot being too indulgent with long philosophical babble and a confusing plot, which are all hallmarks of MGS2 I think it's safe to say there will be a backlash. A lot of people who disliked MGS2 will end up disliking this game as well, even Edge pretty much said it as that.

DTG said:
Greatness is subjective. It looks as if this game will be a love/hate one like MGS2 was.
Personally I loved MGS2 so I'll probably enjoy this game too.

But I expect a rush of disappointed posters similar to the lashback that came after MGS2.

They should'nt touch an MGS game in the firstplace.

Just as with films I'll take something that divides opinion over a bland (but perfectly tailored MOR) experience anyday.

While I like them games like Halo 3 are really starting to resemble summer hollywood films - well made, expertly crafted, entertaining and engaging : and absolutely desperate to avoid anything that might offend the mass audience.

Obviously for the developers its all about business - but in amongst all the 'market research' tailored games I'd like to think there will still be some that will be driven by a more dominant creator and will not appeal to everyone as they will take risks with narrative, expectations, etc.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

brute said:
^and it is greatness,its averaging over 95

For how long? Huh? Like, one more week? That's it. Metal Gear Solid 4 will be disappointing. Does that upset me? You're damn right it does. I'm pissed. I know I will be disappointed. I foresee it. Don't kid yourself. Part of you knows this too. I mean, 95 with 4 reviews? That would be fucking amazing if it was a third party game, but no. It's not. This isn't a third party game. This was supposed to be the killer title. This was supposed to be like Ocarina of Time, Super Mario Galaxy, and Grand Theft Auto 4. But no. It's not going to be that. It's not going to be that at all. Yes, three 100 score reviews is good, but two scores of the late 90's, this early, are signs of disappointment, and one 80, especially this early in its life, drills the final nail in the coffin. Will it be good? Oh, unassailably, but that's not the point. My point, is that this is going to be a disappointment. I just know it. You know, when you have that feeling, and you know that you shouldn't ignore it. Well, that feeling is telling me so. I could be wrong, but I doubt it.

I hope I'm wrong. I hope I'm imagining things, but the fact that lately, I've been right too many times on these kinds of things, has pissed me off. I was right that Mario Kart Wii would idle around the early 80's after that score of 91, and I was right for a few other games too. But to some extent, I have to agree on the reviews already out. I mean, 90 minute cut scenes? What the fuck? I put a fucking movie in my DVD player, and I put a fucking game in my Playstation 3, FM Towns Marty, Super Nintendo, whatever. Don't mesh the two together. It defeats the entire purpose. Sure, short clips are fine, to glue the game together, or if I could actually "PLAY" the cut scene, that would be awesome. But having to watch it, really defeats the purpose. And yes, they were fine in the other ones. That's what made them so great. But over 180 minutes? I don't know. Will I like it? Yes. Does it defeat the purpose? Yes. Will it be annoying after a while? Yes.

I don't know what it is with the Playstation 3. It's like, cursed or something. Seriously. I just don't know. Metal Gear Solid may be the first exclusive, scoring within the 90's. And not the late 90's. I predict, early 90's, or dare I say it, late 80's, which would kill it, being the first exclusive. Anyway, I just don't know about the Playstation 3 anymore. I like it, but it could have been so much more. I like Ratchet and Clank. I'm not a fan of Grand Theft Auto, but I haven't played the latest one, so I can't so much about that one. I like a few other games, but most of the games I like, are on the Xbox 360. I mean, come on. I just hope I'm wrong about all of this. I'm playing Galaxy right now, and it's kicking ass. See, Nintendo is busting out masterpiece, after masterpiece, but Sony is just lingering around. I'm not talking about all Sony games, but the first party ones. They haven't really done much lately. Or have they? What am I talking about? Forget everything you've read. METAL GEAR SOLID 4 IS GOING TO BE FUCKING AWESOME! Even if it wont be perfect.