By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo $50 price reduction

jhonip said:
come on its been two years and there has not been a price cut, this has never happened before.

are you talking about the ds or wii?but didnt the 360 go for 20 months with the same price?

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

Around the Network

but the 360 had no to compete, and they got a price cut around ps3's releese.

not a fan but a gamer

jhonip said:

This is simple. Can you imagine if Nintendo actually reduces $50 dollars out of wii's price tag? I don't like to take sides or anyting, but I cannot help to wonder what will be of this console war if nintendo actually does that? I mean, every other console have had some sort of price cut but the wii. will it destroy all the other companies? will it have no responce from public? will it make it a fad?

Nothing would change, its already the cheapest on the market, and its always "supply constrained" so there couldnt be a large increase in sales. It would just mean a loss of profit which they are already playing with because of the weak dollar.

The only consoles that have anything to gain from price cuts are the HD systems.

edit: Plus the Nintendo saying they wont lower prices because it hurts early adopters is a horrible slap to anyones face. What if every electronics you bought was like that? I would have paid 1,200 dollars for my 22" monito. Parts get cheaper, methods for building get streamlined, All that is, is Nintendo ripping off late adopters. Its insulting. too bad no one here really wants to see that.

I own all three current consoles and a great gaming rig, now thats out of the way.

This space Reserved for the Nuggets of Wisdom dropped by Bladeforce:

"Why post something like this when all it will get is PS3 owners blinded to reality replying? BOTH THE PS3 AND BLUE-RAY WILL NOT LAST 3 YEARS! TECHNOLOGY CHANGED TOO FAST!"

"is it Wii FIt that has sold as many as PS3's sold? Thats a LOL Look at the total sales of software is it just me that sees Nintendo titles hitting 10m+ and you say they arent making a difference? Another LOL!"

"Hell, with all the negative hype Sony spin, people just aren't interested cost is too high and to get the true HD experience (1080p, 7.1 surround) you will need a $1000+ system. THAT IS GOING TO DO IT IN A RECESSION! PS4 will not happen"

^no they got a price drop 10 months after ps3's release

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

|_emmiwinks said:
jhonip said:

This is simple. Can you imagine if Nintendo actually reduces $50 dollars out of wii's price tag? I don't like to take sides or anyting, but I cannot help to wonder what will be of this console war if nintendo actually does that? I mean, every other console have had some sort of price cut but the wii. will it destroy all the other companies? will it have no responce from public? will it make it a fad?

Nothing would change, its already the cheapest on the market, and its always "supply constrained" so there couldnt be a large increase in sales. It would just mean a loss of profit which they are already playing with because of the weak dollar.

The only consoles that have anything to gain from price cuts are the HD systems.

edit: Plus the Nintendo saying they wont lower prices because it hurts early adopters is a horrible slap to anyones face. What if every electronics you bought was like that? I would have paid 1,200 dollars for my 22" monito. Parts get cheaper, methods for building get streamlined, All that is, is Nintendo ripping off late adopters. Its insulting. too bad no one here really wants to see that.

Nintendo = Satan

You could very well say the same about early adopters feeling ripped off, face it Wii's still sell wether or not you like MNintendo's policy. No one seems to care anyways since it's the cheaper console of the market. Try again.

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies

Around the Network

There's no way Nintendo would reduce the price on something that's already selling out 19 months after its release. Sony and Microsoft have made drastic cuts in the past year, but they could not dethrone Nintendo in any territory. If they start to get close, then perhaps Nintendo will drop the price.

|_emmiwinks said:

First of all, Wii has older tech which will not drop in price nearly as much over time. Combine that will a free-falling dollar, and keeping the price at $250 may actually slowly eat into their profit margin.

And second, how does anybody get ripped off if everyone pays the exact same price? You aren't somehow entitled to pay less because you wait to buy.

But the most important point is that the price of goods is not solely based on the cost of production. Wii obviously holds value to people beyond its physical components, and that more than anything should determine the price.

"[Our former customers] are unable to find software which they WANT to play."
"The way to solve this problem lies in how to communicate what kind of games [they CAN play]."

Satoru Iwata, Nintendo President. Only slightly paraphrased.

Erik Aston said:
|_emmiwinks said:

First of all, Wii has older tech which will not drop in price nearly as much over time. Combine that will a free-falling dollar, and keeping the price at $250 may actually slowly eat into their profit margin.

And second, how does anybody get ripped off if everyone pays the exact same price? You aren't somehow entitled to pay less because you wait to buy.

But the most important point is that the price of goods is not solely based on the cost of production. Wii obviously holds value to people beyond its physical components, and that more than anything should determine the price.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

I think jhonip is under the impression that Nintendo could increase production more. They can't, however (may seem strange, otoh the Wii is already being produced in greater numbers than any other console before it), so reducing the price of the Wii now would be like throwing money away.

Also, from Nintendo's POV the price of the Wii in the US *has* dropped considerably due to the devaluation of the USD.

jhonip said:
i mean if 360 brings a price cut to america( its home) and pares with the wii's price it can shift people.

like how 360 sales picked up close to wii sales after its price came down to equal with wii?

oh wait...

Bets:Missed by 420k I bet leo-j vg$500 that wii will sell 31 million by 7/31/08.  Sorry, I don't think he has enough vg$ to make it with all of u that wish you could. Hit, with room to spare I bet kingofwale a 1-week ban that wii Americas ltd sales>360 Americas ltd sales as of the numbers for week ending 7/05/08 (using vgchartz homepage #s)

Predictions:

Wii will sell 18-20mil by 12/31/07  CHECKWii will sell 45mil+ WW by 12/31/08Wii will surpass PS2 sales WW by 11/17/11 (5yr anniversary)Wii Fit will hit 12mil sales in 2009MKWii+SSBB+Wii Fit+SMG > 50 mil sales by 2010 > gta4+mgs+gt5+ff13+haze+lbp