By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PSM3 warns early MGS4 reviews are "B.S"

Some quotes...Read the full article at; http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=189843&site=psm&skip=yes

"Hello, Early reviews for MGS4 are creeping out on the internet and, like GTAIV, it's another near-perfect whitewash. "Without a doubt, one of the greatest games of all time", screams US magazine Gamepro, "Every once in a long time, a game will come along that changes all the rules... and MGS4's potential influence on the current state of gaming is nothing short of tectonic". Exciting? Yes. Accurate? No - it's total bullshit."

"The gameplay mechanics - while surely the series' most polished - are instantly recognisable, and despite reasonably freeform opening levels, it's not a shock reimagining of the series. 'Shocking' or 'tectonic' gameplay would have been fully destructible levels with truly 'nowhere to hide', as once billed. Or *huge* open world crowds where you need to use disguise, or body language, or real voice reading via an audio mic, to blend in seamlessly - but despite some excellent stealth sections, MGS4's best efforts are 'only' a polishing of MGS3's camouflage-led jungle sneaking; bar an unexpected, if fairly linear, stealth episode half-way through."

"Truth is, MGS4 is so complex, nuanced and indulgent, it's too early to say whether it's the work of genius or madness, or - most accurately - both. The trick's whether Kojima's got the balance right from scene-to-scene.

One thing's sure: MGS4's certainly the most interesting game of 2008, and while we only know a select few who've finished it, we've already had in-depth, half-hour minimum, heated debates with all of them about what the game truly means. "

------------------------

What are your thoughts?

The great disparity between MGS4 reviews does beg the question; What is separating opinions to such a degree? Not even MGS2 recieved such a vast palette of initial reception, ranging from unprecedented acclaim to disappointed rejection/ 

Around the Network

>What are your thoughts?

I thought it's just an opinion of one?

WHat did they give MGS4?

waiting for IGN's review.. no, I don't mean IGN UK's

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)

so yes, MGS4 is not 10/10

no game is perfect

Waiting for french webstie review, smaller than US website or journals, they will be closer to the truth

Time to Work !

Unfortunately, you simply cannot trust exclusive reviews, especially if they're from popular series. It will eventually get a high score regardless of how good it is.

In many reviews, it's like they never played a good game before GTA IV/MGS4/etc...

From MGS series, only MGS1 deserves a 9. MGS2 deserves a 7.5 and MGS3 an 8, Imo.

thats just a blog

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Around the Network

I thought it was assumed to take all early reviews with a grain of salt. The real reviews come out when the game actually releases.

Early reviews should never be taken too seriously however they are better than no reviews what so ever before the launch of MGS4.

The greatest game of the year I might add.

Game of the Year!

It was probably written by an Xbox fan

I hope my 360 doesn't RRoD
         "Suck my balls!" - Tag courtesy of Fkusmot

colonelstubbs said:
It was probably written by an Xbox fan

Yes, I am sure PSM3 is just that...