By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Ubisoft responds to Wii-owners upset with quality of titles

LordTheNightKnight said:
jman8 said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
BTW, the "companies aren't nice" line is bullshit, because that argument didn't hold water for Nintendo in the NES days, and it doesn't hold water for UIbisoft now.

Games are a business, but ALSO an artistic medium. One developer outright denying their best work, with NO REAL REASON, is bullshit.

And defending that is bullshit, because I don't think you'd respect the HD consoles getting crap games to avoid HD development costs.

Hey, I totally understand why you're upset. If Ubisoft pulled this shit on my PS3, I'd be upset too. But I would look at from Ubisoft's perspective and understand that they did what they thought was best for the company. If it turned out other companies followed Ubisoft's example, I would be pretty pissed I wasted $600. But when you spend money on systems early on in their lives, the risk you take is that the games you want don't show up on your system of choice. When it doesn't work out how you wanted, you either stick with your system or get a different one. I wish my Dreamcast could have lived on longer but lack of third party support (especially the lack of EA sports games) had a hand in defeating that system. I moved on to the PS2 and Gamecube.

The Dreamcast was losing money, and sales slowed when the PS2 came along. And this is not spending on the Wii early in it's life. The system is well along. There has been no real proof big budget games don't sell on the Wii, so Ubisoft pretending it is so is what is really pissing us off.

That's also what merkh isn't acknowledging. It's that Ubisoft is telling lies to justify their position.

Wait a second, I never said Ubisoft isn't/didn't lie? I said boohoo what can ya do. They are obviously in the black when it comes to Wii or their development would have been haulted or changed. What jman said could be true, they could be going for a hit or miss type scenario. It seems like the only thing you guys are mad at is a lie from an Ubi rep. Thats why i say get over it, if there was no promise can you honestly say wth Ubi stop giving us this shit? No. So pretend this lie is just like the other hundred lies you hear through the course of a day and get on with life

Around the Network
jman8 said:
Bored4life said:
jman8 said:
sc94597 said:
jman8 said:
"It's fine if they put their main projects on the ps360, but don't put crap on the wii to fund these projects." (sc94597)

You're twisting the truth there. It's not like Ubisoft isn't making money off their PS360 offerings and are therefore just mining the Wii for cash to make futile HD projects just to piss Wii owners off. Yeah, their Wii games provided the company profit. But so did their PS3 and 360 games. By your logic, I could also say "Ubisoft is making good games on the PS3 and 360 in order to fund crap projects on the Wii! Stop making shitty Wii games and focus on the PS3!!!!!"
Then why make the crappy games on the wii? If they don't make much money and it hurts there rep I don't see much of an advantage.

I totally agree it is hurting their rep, but people are buying the games and they are making some money.

Not enough to even cover the cost of the shovelware itself.Why do you keep denying this when Ubisoft themselves are saying it.

This defies logic on all grounds.There is a reason why so much hate exists towards them on the Wii.

Personally, I had never heard that Ubisoft had said such things. It would much appreciated if you could provide a link. All I have been hearing is that the Wii shovelware has been funding PS360 games (another fallacy).

99.99% of companies don't do things to intentionally lose money. If they have been losing money on their shovelware, I'm betting they were hoping to make money off those titles, but failed. By simple business logic, with enough failure, Ubi will stop making shitty games. However, if they're not losing all that much money on the games, and are making profit elsewhere, it might be worth it for Ubi to just keep releasing crap in the hope that one of the titles eventually sells really well. It's the low risk, high reward strategy that venture capitalists often employ to great success. Whatever their strategy is, it's about business, not about going around and pissing off Wii owners for their personal amusement. That's defies logic.

Clearly the are not part of this 99.99%.

Clearly their current strategy has been failing.

And what rubbish are you talking about.It's all over the net.How can you not hear this.Your either lying or just out of touch with reality.

No link for you lazyman. 

Prediction:
Disney will make KH3 with Nintendo.Yes,KH3 will be a Disney/Nintendo crossover.

Save the industry,Kill a Hardcore gamer

Stopped buying Ubisoft games.Will not buy Red Steel 2.Let them struggle on HD. Click here for a solution:CLICK
ALERT: I have also exposed a UBI'Z'OFT viral marketer in THIS thread.Read my posts, see the set up and watch how everything crumbles on page 8. Please learn from this experience.

merkh66 said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
jman8 said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
BTW, the "companies aren't nice" line is bullshit, because that argument didn't hold water for Nintendo in the NES days, and it doesn't hold water for UIbisoft now.

Games are a business, but ALSO an artistic medium. One developer outright denying their best work, with NO REAL REASON, is bullshit.

And defending that is bullshit, because I don't think you'd respect the HD consoles getting crap games to avoid HD development costs.

Hey, I totally understand why you're upset. If Ubisoft pulled this shit on my PS3, I'd be upset too. But I would look at from Ubisoft's perspective and understand that they did what they thought was best for the company. If it turned out other companies followed Ubisoft's example, I would be pretty pissed I wasted $600. But when you spend money on systems early on in their lives, the risk you take is that the games you want don't show up on your system of choice. When it doesn't work out how you wanted, you either stick with your system or get a different one. I wish my Dreamcast could have lived on longer but lack of third party support (especially the lack of EA sports games) had a hand in defeating that system. I moved on to the PS2 and Gamecube.

The Dreamcast was losing money, and sales slowed when the PS2 came along. And this is not spending on the Wii early in it's life. The system is well along. There has been no real proof big budget games don't sell on the Wii, so Ubisoft pretending it is so is what is really pissing us off.

That's also what merkh isn't acknowledging. It's that Ubisoft is telling lies to justify their position.

Wait a second, I never said Ubisoft isn't/didn't lie? I said boohoo what can ya do. They are obviously in the black when it comes to Wii or their development would have been haulted or changed. What jman said could be true, they could be going for a hit or miss type scenario. It seems like the only thing you guys are mad at is a lie from an Ubi rep. Thats why i say get over it, if there was no promise can you honestly say wth Ubi stop giving us this shit? No. So pretend this lie is just like the other hundred lies you hear through the course of a day and get on with life

This guy is a troll for Ubisoft, so I take back all the arguments I made, since he clearly just was trying to do piss poor damage control. Instead, he just made us hate Ubisoft even more.

Some damage control.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

LordTheNightKnight said:
jman8 said:
LordTheNightKnight said:

You're right! But there's also no proof for the opposite. There is no proof that a big budget title from a third party will do great on the Wii. However, there is ample proof that big budget titles will sell great on the PS3 and 360. Therefore it is riskier to make a big budget Wii game than big budget PS360 game. There is also proof that bad to mediocre games like Petz and Red Steel and RRR2 can sell pretty well on the Wii. So what incentive does Ubisoft have to deviate from their current formula that seems to be working pretty well?

My Top 5:

Shadow of the Colossus, Metal Gear Solid 3, Shenmue, Skies of Arcadia, Chrono Trigger

My 2 nex-gen systems: PS3 and Wii

Prediction Aug '08: We see the PSP2 released fall '09. Graphically, it's basically the same as the current system. UMD drive ditched and replaced by 4-8gb on board flash memory. Other upgrades: 2nd analog nub, touchscreen, blutooth, motion sensor. Design: Flip-style or slider. Size: Think Iphone. Cost: $199. Will be profitable on day 1.

jman8 said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
jman8 said:
LordTheNightKnight said:

You're right! But there's also no proof for the opposite. There is no proof that a big budget title from a third party will do great on the Wii. However, there is ample proof that big budget titles will sell great on the PS3 and 360. Therefore it is riskier to make a big budget Wii game than big budget PS360 game. There is also proof that bad to mediocre games like Petz and Red Steel and RRR2 can sell pretty well on the Wii. So what incentive does Ubisoft have to deviate from their current formula that seems to be working pretty well?

Then why don't they make their low budget games good?

Around the Network

@ Bored4life, I'm glad you're willing to backup your points with such zeal. I told you what I've been hearing on the 'net: "Ubisoft is using Wii shovelware to fund PS360 projects." That's quite the opposite from "Ubisoft is losing mad moneyz on the Imagine Babyz"

My Top 5:

Shadow of the Colossus, Metal Gear Solid 3, Shenmue, Skies of Arcadia, Chrono Trigger

Prediction Aug '08: We see the PSP2 released fall '09. Graphically, it's basically the same as the current system. UMD drive ditched and replaced by 4-8gb on board flash memory. Other upgrades: 2nd analog nub, touchscreen, blutooth, motion sensor. Design: Flip-style or slider. Size: Think Iphone. Cost: $199. Will be profitable on day 1.

LordTheNightKnight said:
merkh66 said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
jman8 said:
LordTheNightKnight said:

It's that they are still telling lies to justify their posotition. It's in the OP. They broke a promise. Okay. They are spinning numbers to justify that promiste breaking. If you think that's not a bad thing, you must think it's a good thing for companies to pretend markets don't exist (in this case, Wii owners who buy hardcore games). It's not a good thing, and companies throughout this industry's history have learned how foolish it is, even Nintendo in the past.

Forget about the promise already! And so be it if they need to learn from their mistake (that is if their making one). They probably don't have the resourses to develop big time games for Wii and Ps360, so should they stop developing for something their already good at and can easily port and therefore satisfy two systems userbases? or should they take a risk on wii. You must think that they are retarded as a company, i know it might be hard to understand but its someones job to do this planning and strategizing between the consoles. Ubisoft is/has been a leading developer for years now so they're doing something right, sorry its not going your way... Crying doesnt fix it.

sc94597 said:
jman8 said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
jman8 said:
LordTheNightKnight said:

Because it's easier to make a bad game than a good game. And when the bad game still sells decently, why put in the extra effort to make it good? If you could get B+ all the time on your school work when all you do is fill out your name, why would you actually do the 3 hours worth of work in order to get an A-? 

My Top 5:

sc94597 said:
jman8 said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
jman8 said:
LordTheNightKnight said:

What a stupid question...

jman8 said:
@ Bored4life, I'm glad you're willing to backup your points with such zeal. I told you what I've been hearing on the 'net: "Ubisoft is using Wii shovelware to fund PS360 projects." That's quite the opposite from "Ubisoft is losing mad moneyz on the Imagine Babyz"

They did it with RRR and Red Steel money they gained from launch,however they aren't making that money anymore.

Also.Still no links. 

Prediction:
Disney will make KH3 with Nintendo.Yes,KH3 will be a Disney/Nintendo crossover.

Save the industry,Kill a Hardcore gamer

Stopped buying Ubisoft games.Will not buy Red Steel 2.Let them struggle on HD. Click here for a solution:CLICK
ALERT: I have also exposed a UBI'Z'OFT viral marketer in THIS thread.Read my posts, see the set up and watch how everything crumbles on page 8. Please learn from this experience.