By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Getting a Powerhouse Gaming PC for $656 –Full Crysis Capability

Grampy said:
Sorry folks, I'm going to bed. Baby sitting the two brats has worn me out. It's a shame that serious discussion between mature people is so often ruined by kiddies that don't read the posting and just start mouthing off about things with out the least hint of coutesy, reason or knowledge.

Ok, pissing contest started.

First, your CPU is too slow, and for an extra few bucks you can kick it up quite a bit. Also, if your trying to save money dont go AMD, as they run HOT. And I mean hot. (electricity is quite expensive where I live to say the least. If you never turn your desktop off, the power diffrence from a C2D and a X2 of comparable speeds is over 5$/month if I'm not mistaken)

Second. Both me and my wife read your article, and you really didnt post that very well that says that was from a very basic note-book. So really, yeah.

Also, I suppose you are counting windows VISTA on that becuase most all prebuilt computers come with it. Unless you plan on running linux, then your not planning on running Crysis.

Let's see here, my 1.5 year old computer.

Mine, cost me.

$1,204.65

memory

mobo

processor

Case

GPU

HDD

Now, rember, I built this almost 2 years ago, so it's not *that*... well actually, it's quite fast for a single GPU system. Also, the prices have halved on most the parts. You can get that video card for about 200$ less than I paid for it. Dont go cheap on your memory, as it's very imporant for games, you might not think it, but it's more imporant than your CPU in most games today. And that CPU (was) a beast over-clocker. That computer OCs about an extra 30% on benchmarks. And to push that kinda heat, you gotta have the good tower.

Have a good night. And next time try to piss me off a little more and next time single me out, instead of calling me a brat. Crotchity.

EDIT: And in assisting my argument on on-board chips = cause problems.

My wifes comptuer, and 2 of my buddies computers, never performed at the levels they should with their 'cheap' motherboard with on-board, and then put on a bigger video card. I mean, it got decent performance, but it was about a 30-50% hit on performance, the chips should have ran ALOT faster than they were. I upgraded my buddys computer to a faster GPU, and it's CPU was about the same speed as mine. However on bench-marks, and in-game performance, mine was ALOT faster, even though his chip was faster than mine. The only conclusion I have come to was there was a problem on the motherboard, due to the onboard chip. As usually the design of the mother board is designed exclusivly to be used with that video card, and it is not *truely* designed for optimal performance on the video card slot, like a motherboard that does not have video built into it. Really that computer dont look too bad, other than I have never had good feelings about AMD products since intel dropped the C2D. It is such a well designed chip. I have always been a fan of Nvidia, however I would up 25-50$ and get a GTS instead of a GT, as the GTS is 50% faster than the GT. (64 shader pipes on the GT, and 96 on the GTS) My laptop, by-the-way has a 8800GTS GO. Which has 64 shader pipes, just like the GT. And it gets the same performance as well. FYI. So try not to call my laptop too inferior, as it will give your desk-top a run for it's money... at a coffie-shop. :)

And seriously, the laptop I have. (check link in orignal post) is compared with 2000$+ laptops, for under 1400$. It's really a monster of a laptop, for it's price. If you want a lap-top, and want to play games on it, and dont want to spend a fortuine, it's the laptop to get.

(complaints - heavy, big, battery sticks out the back)

Comes with a 'windows vista OEM' install disc. Just pop that baby in, re-install windows, and it's like a home-built system, with NONE of the 'gate-way' BS. Just windows Vista, like Microsoft meant for it to be... ... (crappy) 

PSN ID: Kwaad

I fly this flag in victory!

Around the Network

i just got a 1000$ pc capable of running crysis,cant wait to play it

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

Just in case anyone was wondering, the stock powersupply in that machine was 230w.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371005 - 34A 12v rails, 380w

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817153052 -29A 12v rails 500w.

Both are good brands and both are rated at 5 eggs. I would pick the Antec over the thermaltake one.

Tease.

Power supplies are something most people pay no attention to unless it fails. Since it's bolted into the case it's not even considered a part. Unfortunately the manufacturer is going to put in the smallest (read cheapest) that will run the original system. Anything you add wasn't allowed for and a power supply running on the edge is, as you say, a failure just waiting to happen.

Squilliam said:
Just in case anyone was wondering, the stock powersupply in that machine was 230w.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371005 - 34A 12v rails, 380w

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817153052 -29A 12v rails 500w.

Both are good brands and both are rated at 5 eggs. I would pick the Antec over the thermaltake one.

230 watt oem is all too common and I still see some 200s but I don't think there's any excuse for it. Still, I suppose 90% never add anything so it works out. I agree Antec makes some good units. My personal favorite is Zalman but the tend to be pricey.

Around the Network
Kwaad said:
Grampy said:
Sorry folks, I'm going to bed. Baby sitting the two brats has worn me out. It's a shame that serious discussion between mature people is so often ruined by kiddies that don't read the posting and just start mouthing off about things with out the least hint of coutesy, reason or knowledge.

Ok, pissing contest started.

First, your CPU is too slow, and for an extra few bucks you can kick it up quite a bit. Also, if your trying to save money dont go AMD, as they run HOT. And I mean hot. (electricity is quite expensive where I live to say the least. If you never turn your desktop off, the power diffrence from a C2D and a X2 of comparable speeds is over 5$/month if I'm not mistaken)

Amd CPUs X2 CPUs draw 7w at most when idle and they have reasonably efficient chipsets when compared to Nvidia.  As for performance read. http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-phenom-x4,1935.html for the 65w Quad core CPU and http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/cpu-gpu-upgrade,1928.html which shows that the CPU isn't even half as significant as the GPU when it comes to gaming.

Second. Both me and my wife read your article, and you really didnt post that very well that says that was from a very basic note-book. So really, yeah.

Also, I suppose you are counting windows VISTA on that becuase most all prebuilt computers come with it. Unless you plan on running linux, then your not planning on running Crysis.

Windows Vista isnt any slower than Xp when running games now.

Tease.

High failure rates with built-from-scratch computers? Maybe if you don't know what you're doing...
Also - buying an already completed PC, and then upgrading it? Sounds like the very opposite of being cost effective to me.

Grampy said:
Squilliam said:

230 watt oem is all too common and I still see some 200s but I don't think there's any excuse for it. Still, I suppose 90% never add anything so it works out. I agree Antec makes some good units. My personal favorite is Zalman but the tend to be pricey.

Zalman make some of the quietest High wattage PSU's out there. I've seen a ZM-850hp I think on several reviews and it didnt even register on the Decibel sensor until it was well into a 400w load. Silence is golden.

What my point was, is that the high wattage PSU actually provided fewer useful watts than was indicated vs the Antec even though it was rated 120w higher. Now correct my if im wrong, but the main components of the computer run off those 12v rails. CPU/GPU so the Antec had essentially 120w less rated power but only 60w less useful power. It was also high efficiency.

230w is actually fine, unless you upgrade. With the efficient 65w Athlons anyway and 1 HDD 1 DVD writer etc you could even sneak a 6 series GPU like the 2600pro into it without worry.

Tease.

epsilon72 said:
High failure rates with built-from-scratch computers? Maybe if you don't know what you're doing...
Also - buying an already completed PC, and then upgrading it? Sounds like the very opposite of being cost effective to me.

I think the whole point was that the people didnt know what they were doing. Sticking in some ram and a GPU and a PSU is far less hassle than trying to seat a motherboard/CPU and route the cables everywhere.

Tease.

I dunno. Im not a "kiddie" but Id have to disagree here. Not trying to add to the pissing contest but... 

I dont think your budget PC will run Crysis very well. Sure it might run...but Powerhouse?..nah.

Also, you mentioned being a graphic designer and the workstations you use. 

Arent there are some big differences between workstation and gaming gpu's? I think most of it is in the what the drivers are optimized for. For example workstation gpu's have specific certified drivers for use in things like CAD, DCC etc and have to pass stricter stress testing standards since they might have to run for days on end rendering 24/7. 

PS360 ftw!

Currently playing..........

Gears of War 2, GTA IV Lost and Damned, Little Big Planet (Yes I said I had no interest but my girl wanted to try it and we did and now Im hooked )