By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - The Cons of the PS3

We all know the cons of the 360, (since every other reply in pro xbox threads are usually "why buy something that will break down" and "enjoy the turbo engine noise in your living room") so I wanted to discuss the cons of the PS3. I know a lot of members here think its the greatest machine in the world, but to keep these forums fair and balanced the cons should also be mentioned.

1 - Lack of demos and content compared to Live
2 - No multiplatform betas released
3 - No online standards for achievements, or gamer score
4 - Matchmaking servers runned by 3rd parties, which tend to mean hiccups in the first days of launch

Software/Games development

1 - Smallest userbase of the three means less budget for PS3 titles or exclusive deals announced
2 - BC missing in all new consoles
3 - Bad history with 360 ports
4 - Small PC developers can't afford to port to PS3
5 - Worse first year of all three consoles in terms of games library, best rated game was a 360 port

Controller

1 - Sixaxis has no rumble
2 - No replaceable batteries - remote needs to be replaced or shipped to Sony for battery replacement
3 - Blue tooth interference
4 - Controller Cord too short - (ArtofAngel)
5 - Having to turn the controller on/off as well as the PS3 (ArtofAngel)  <<--- NOT TRUE!!

Hardware

1. Its still the most expensive console of the three
2. Its huge and it needs constant dusting

Am I missing anything??

Edit: added a few of ArtofAngels comments, left out the required HDD install and Webbrowser cause install can be pro to speed up an dimprove graphics and webbrowser cause the 360 doesn't even have one

Edit #2: added extra battery comment

Edit #3: ArtofAngels comment on Sixaxis staying on is full of crap and made me look like an ass.. Ignore it!! 

Proud Member of GAIBoWS (Gamers Against Irrational Bans of Weezy & Squilliam)

Around the Network
gebx said:

We all know the cons of the 360, (since every other reply in pro xbox threads are usually "why buy something that will break down" and "enjoy the turbo engine noise in your living room") so I wanted to discuss the cons of the PS3. I know a lot of members here think its the greatest machine in the world, but to keep these forums fair and balanced the cons should also be mentioned.

1 - Lack of demos and content compared to Live
2 - No multiplatform betas released
3 - No online standards for achievements, or gamer score
4 - Matchmaking servers runned by 3rd parties, which tend to mean hiccups in the first days of launch

Software/Games development

1 - Smallest userbase of the three means less budget for PS3 titles or exclusive deals announced
2 - BC missing in all new consoles
3 - Bad history with 360 ports
4 - Small PC developers can't afford to port to PS3
5 - Worse first year of all three consoles in terms of games library, best rated game was a 360 port

Controller

2 - No replaceable batteries

Hardware

1. Its still the most expensive console of the three
2. Its huge and it needs constant dusting

Am I missing anything??

those two are pros rather than Cons

rehcarchable battery :do you cosider that it's a con for you cellphone? no,it's also much better for environment. 

You're a good man gebx, but this is just bitter posting. Don't succumb to the same level as those you're combating in the Microsoft Forum.

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.

Well, all that you stated will change, be improved or will come in time. So I guess you missed alot.

Unleash The Beast!  

End of 2011 Sales: Wii = 90mil, 360 = 61mil, PS3= 60mil

The PS3 does get demos so that is a questionable inclusion to that list. I'm not sure if all the matchmaking servers are run by third parties either.

One thing that isn't on that list that I think should be there is the reliance on either USB or bluetooth headsets. The PS3 should have gone with a more integrated headset system like the 360. There is also the lack of cross game voice chat.

I give this thread a 9.3.

Thank god for the disable signatures option.

Around the Network

4 words...red ring of death.

nuff said.

SpartanFX said:
gebx said:

Controller

2 - No replaceable batteries

those two are pros rather than Cons

rehcarchable battery :do you cosider that it's a con for you cellphone? no,it's also much better for environment.

Note to self - Spartan thinks that having to throw away your controller when the battery is fried and having various blue tooth gagdets interfere with the controller are good things...

neather systems cons bother me other than Red Ring that i've had once.

Incert Witty Comment on how i'm a fanboy of all systems including PC here.

coolestguyever said:
4 words...red ring of death.

nuff said.

I completly agree.. its a con of the 360

I even left out the PS3 yellow ring of death because it really isn't an issue. Every normal console has a 1-3% chance of failure (except for the 360)

Hmmm more cons ay, here's a few more that annoy me:

Controller charge cord too small.

Very very poor web browser (worst I've seen on a console).

Games that require download to HDD.

Having to turn the controller on as well as the PS3.