By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - E3 to turn into new SpaceWorld?

The question that Nintendo fans have been wondering for ages, will Nintendo start holding its annual SpaceWorld Conventions. It used to be two big days every Nintendo gamer waited for SpaceWorld and E3. But during the GameCube generation Nintendo decided two conferances were no longer feasable. So Nintendo scrapped their internal trade show in the end only holding small press events and appearing at E3.

However as Nintendo's launch of the Wii got closer and closer Nintendo began to have booths at secondary trade shows. These booths were massive and Nintendo appeared at TGS 2005 as well as E For All upon its foundation. E For All was a more open trade show then E3. Many publishers began pulling out of the ESA and E3 now only about up to 30 publishers/developers will be present at this years E3.

Then Gamer Days became bigger then ever with Sony, Microsoft, Konami , EA all marking the holidays with their own massive conferances. Other publishers like UbiSoft have made their own conferances and the likes of BlizzCon have been well known for years. So with the ESA rapidly loosing members and Microsoft/Sony no longer seeing it as the legitamet industry showcase could it soon be Nintendo's own show.

E3 this year will see only minor things from Microsoft/Sony who have already shown off their entire fall lineups. Other publishers are going to be absent from E3 this year including the likes of Activision/EA who are now the biggest names in gaming. But Nintendo is fighting the trend by actually pulling out of E for All and TGS. Leaving only two major conferances GDC and E3 where Nintendo is still a major contributer. E3 is poised to be Nintendo's big conferance.

So with the ESA almost done in, with less showing from Microsoft/Sony it would appear E3 is on track to be a show owned pretty much by Nintendo's developers and internal press conferances. Could the ESA eventually turn it into a Nintendo show? Or with Nintendo dropping all of the other conferances like E For All and TGS could we see a new SpaceWorld this fall or maybe next year to match Sony's and Microsofts annual shows? 

-JC7

"In God We Trust - In Games We Play " - Joel Reimer

Around the Network

Well Nintendo just patented a "Wii Summit" so from that perspective they probably are reviving SpaceWorld in a sense.

Tag - "No trolling on my watch!"

E3 used to be all we needed, one big ode to gaming, I remember my friends would always say "let's ppool money together to go to e3 next year."

GDC was basically E3, perfect E3 would be Day 1, Developers confrence, Day 2 Journalist meet PR guys, Day 3 mouth feeders get a chance to see whats up.

I'm Unamerica and you can too.

The Official Huge Monster Hunter Thread: 

The Hunt Begins 4/20/2010 =D

Why the venue was so small? What happened to E3? :(

end of core gaming days prediction:

E3 2006-The beginning of the end. Wii introduced

E3 2008- Armageddon. Wii motion plus introduced. Wii Music. Reggie says Animal crossing was a core game. Massive disappointment. many Wii core gamers selling their Wii.

E3 2010- Tape runs out

http://www.fivedoves.com/letters/march2009/ICG_Tape_runs_out.jpg

yushire said:

I'm sure someone else here has more info, but I belive this is basically what happened.

E3 was originally supposed to be an industry only event. Over the years it grew bigger and bigger, involving many people (not just industry anymore).  Many of the larger companies were spending lots of money on putting on a "show" basically and they felt the returns were not worth it.  They threatened to pull out unless changes where made, which resulted in E3 2007 being a smaller, industry invite only event.  

Around the Network

Really? Thats sad then, but the public audience is the reason why E3 was popular, why the stampede of E3 '06 will happen if not for bigger venue?

E3 2008- Armageddon. Wii motion plus introduced. Wii Music. Reggie says Animal crossing was a core game. Massive disappointment. many Wii core gamers selling their Wii.

E3 2010- Tape runs out

A Wii Summit. I love the idea of that.

Wii Code: 4819-7684-2396-4558

Mahorosan said:
yushire said:

I'm sure someone else here has more info, but I belive this is basically what happened.

E3 was originally supposed to be an industry only event. Over the years it grew bigger and bigger, involving many people (not just industry anymore).  Many of the larger companies were spending lots of money on putting on a "show" basically and they felt the returns were not worth it.  They threatened to pull out unless changes where made, which resulted in E3 2007 being a smaller, industry invite only event.  

You know, there's a reason why it's Electronics Entertainment Expo, instead Electronics Entertainment Conference. The whole idea of expo, is to be a show for the public, for the industry to show new trends and what's new and happening. Conference, then again, is an industry event for insiders to gather up and discuss about the past, the present and the future. So, to answer to Yushires question, the expo was closed from the public, resulting it to become a conference instead of expo.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

So can we still watch the press conference/expo in gamespot/g4tv or what? D:

E3 2010- Tape runs out

jheco05 said:
A Wii Summit. I love the idea of that.

I like the idea of any Nintendo held conferance/summit or show. However the name alone scares me, Wii Summit!!!!!

I don't like the idea that it will be a strictly Wii press event. Last year Nintendo held a press summit and everyone got so exited for it. But it turned out it was just Reggie talking for about half an hour about how innovative the Wii was and how it was bringing the industry in new directions. I think MarioParty8 footage was unvieled and that was about it.  I remember IGN being all upset saying that the day before the press summit they had recieved their pre-release copies so they had already seen everything shown at the summit.

If its one of Nintendo small press summits like the one last year except soully for Wii I will be extremely dissapointed. Nintendo needs its own big conferance or Expo to show off its next generation software and hardware rather then simply relying on E3. Their is a large gap between showcases I'd say a fall conferance would be great.

How about a conferance in October!

Nintendo (Conferance) October

GDC March

E3 July

It would be perfect that way Nintendo would be able to keep us up to date with a steady flow of data rather then a single big splash each year at E3! 

-JC7

"In God We Trust - In Games We Play " - Joel Reimer