By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Eurogame give MGS4 an 8

bbsin said:

This guy includes some spoilers in his review, BE WARNED!!!

Anyways, It seems like this review has never been a big fan of MGS in the past. From what I read, he's basically saying that MGS4 has gameplay that has advanced alot from the previous MGS games but hasn't been changed enough for his liking. He also keeps bringing up that he thinks players that have always disliked MGS before will continue to do so. And he concludes with MGS4 including some of the most classic moments in gaming and "exquisite" game elements, he's glad that this is the end of MGS.

Oli Welsh's (the reviewer) entire review resume has been MarioKartWii (8/10), Army of Two (no score), a re-review of WOW and Pirates of the burning sea (no score). Based on his source history, he's pretty new at Eurogamer as his articles points to him joining the staff on February of this year.

That last bit about him being glad the series is over,totally discredits him as a fair reviewer.

Around the Network
*bleu-ocelot* said:
bbsin said:

Anyways, It seems like this review has never been a big fan of MGS in the past. From what I read, he's basically saying that MGS4 has gameplay that has advanced alot from the previous MGS games but hasn't been changed enough for his liking. He also keeps bringing up that he thinks players that have always disliked MGS before will continue to do so. And he concludes with MGS4 including some of the most classic moments in gaming and "exquisite" game elements, he's glad that this is the end of MGS.

Oli Welsh's (the reviewer) entire review resume has been MarioKartWii (8/10), Army of Two (no score), a re-review of WOW and Pirates of the burning sea (no score). Based on his source history, he's pretty new at Eurogamer as his articles points to him joining the staff on February of this year.

That last bit about him being glad the series is over,totally discredits him as a fair reviewer.

I pretty much agree with that. The review comes across as if written by someone that didn't like MGS much to begin with, and wasn't likely to be converted anytime soon. Basically, he doesn't like MGS, and, by his own admittance, is glad it is finally finished. Good choice of reviewer, that.

Rocketpig works at Eurogamer?

This is the feeling we, Wii owners, get after seeing a great game like MKWii or Wii Fit scored in the low 40's or 50's just cause the reviewers don't like casual games, or they don't know how to play the game properly.
There's always some morons around.

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies

Hapimeses said:
*bleu-ocelot* said:
bbsin said:

I pretty much agree with that. The review comes across as if written by someone that didn't like MGS much to begin with, and wasn't likely to be converted anytime soon. Basically, he doesn't like MGS, and, by his own admittance, is glad it is finally finished. Good choice of reviewer, that.

He was basically going into the game hating it.

Around the Network

Well to be fair, Eurogamer is really hit and miss in terms of review scores.
I'm pretty sure they gave Halo1 a 8/10, Halo2 a 6/10 and Halo 3 a 10/10.

trestres said:
This is the feeling we, Wii owners, get after seeing a great game like MKWii or Wii Fit scored in the low 40's or 50's just cause the reviewers don't like casual games, or they don't know how to play the game properly.
There's always some morons around.

that's always a problem with reviewing games,,,People that do not like a genre should never do a review of a game from that genre,,,

by the way another reviwer from euro gamer reviewd MGS3 and gave it 9/10,,,so he is saying this is worst than the last one,,,,But that's not the case ,,the last guy from euro gamer who reviewd MGS3 was into the genre and this guy clearly is not into the genre,,,,,

what a disgracefull way of closing a review,,

"We love you, Snake. Don't come back." <---- this direct quote pretty much sums up his review.

Translation: This is a great game but i can't explain why I don't like it, thus, I don't want it anymore.

Don't get me wrong. 8/10 is not a bad score at all, it's just his attitude and wording that i find suspicious. 

8's a good score no matter which way you look at it.

Seems like he/she wanted to give it lower then 8.