By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

My experience: Played Halo 2 with a headset and all you could hear the entire match was people cursing you, calling you a damn N****, or some retard speaking nonsense or playing music as loud as he could. There's no way voicechat is useful when there's monkeys on the other side instead civilized people.

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies

Around the Network

Off Topic: I really like the idea of using the Wii Fit Island being used in a bigger game.. perhaps even one location in an MMO.. perhaps even Animal.. or Mii Crossing

wait a second.. that was on topic.. everyone else here since the third or fourth post has been completely off topic

trestres said:
My experience: Played Halo 2 with a headset and all you could hear the entire match was people cursing you, calling you a damn N****, or some retard speaking nonsense or playing music as loud as he could. There's no way voicechat is useful when there's monkeys on the other side instead civilized people.

Anecdote, and apparently sharing those is not appreciated by certain people. However, in that case just turn it off or take the headset off until you want to hear people. Very simple. tabsina: you can't have a full "Home" experience without voice chat, so that's on topic.

Damn it I am just too sleepy to go looking through the internet for ESRB's standing for online play.

For the record wind bane last time I checked you didn't buy the internet with a E rating on it.

Also like it was said before VOICE CHAT IS COMING, so whats the point of this sub-topic, argueing that it should be in now is just sublime annoyance; you can't change the past.

I'm Unamerica and you can too.

The Official Huge Monster Hunter Thread: 

The Hunt Begins 4/20/2010 =D

There's actually few problems with voice chat: language barriers and chatting completely random people.
Limiting voice chat to friends, would address both problems to some extent (the problem here, is adding random people to friends).

Nintendo already have tried voice chat with DS, and apparently the experience wasn't what they wished for, since so far the voice chat have been limited only to the experiments.

Friend codes aren't a problem, but as Ben said, there would be a need for global (which i didn't think as a technical term at first), which i believe will be addressed with "friends channel" (which i believe will be coming). Then the problem here is, the limited number of friends you can have. Update to higher number would get rid of this problem, but then again, it would be easier to add random people as friends. But the game specific friend codes would still have to remain, in order to add friends for specific games.

And the random voice chat is really a turn off with people behaving badly online. No matter what some people think. When you grow older, you just get tired of (other peoples) immature behavior. Actually you don't necessarily need a voice chat to behave badly. Sure it does have a lot of benefits too, like conversations with other people and it does make some games more fun.

As for the topic about "home", you need to remember, that Nintendos approach is completely different, since the idea is, that when you turn your console on, you start the "home". You can send VC games as gifts to your friends, now with Dr. Mario, you can send game demos to friends etc. you just don't enter the pixel world. Basically the only thing that is missing, is to see what your friends are doing at the moment.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

Around the Network
dib8rman said:
Damn it I am just too sleepy to go looking through the internet for ESRB's standing for online play.

For the record wind bane last time I checked you didn't buy the internet with a E rating on it.

Also like it was said before VOICE CHAT IS COMING, so whats the point of this sub-topic, argueing that it should be in now is just sublime annoyance; you can't change the past.

Do you never play online games, dib8r man? The game will tell you that the online content is not rated by ESRB. The point about the internet is that everyone is exposed to immature people that you don't like. If you ever enter the outside world from your house you will discover that. Some people being stupid in a game shouldn't eliminate the feature. Voice chat may be coming, but it's not here now so I'm going to complain about it. However, does Nintendo patch games? Another problem, considering Mario Kart and Brawl need voice chat.

bdbdbd said:
Godot said:
Sky Render said:
You view it from the wrong end of the spectrum, xenophon13. Nintendo does not wish to pander solely to the desires of a very rigid market; that's what Sony and Microsoft have done with their online, and it's not doing them any good. Nintendo's goal is to bring people reluctant to go into the online world, online. To do that, there is a need to pander to their insecurities: the lack of voice chat to prevent discouragement from trash-talking, the Friend Codes to make them feel secure in knowing who they're playing with, the pre-coded friendly messages to allow for civil conversation... That is appealing to a broader demographic. Giving options which allow for uncivilized behavior, on the other hand, is not.

I agree with everything you said but it wouldn't be that much different if they used usernames instead of friend codes. Sure, it would be more complicated the first time as it is likely that all the cool usernames would be taken but I don't think people would feel less secure if they are playing with their friends "Sky Render" or "Godot" instead of some random numbers. That said, I don't care much about friend codes as it's a huge inconvenience anyway.

It took some time for me to post the last post... You just mentioned yourself, that what's so great about friendcodes. It's a huge inconvience to figure out a nickname for yourself, which you may not even like, but it happened to be the 25th best choice, since all 24 before the one were taken. You see, when you have a friendcode you don't need to spend any time figuring out what nickname to use, or have a tricky "registration process", the friend codes equals using a phone, which i don't see anyone to complain, that it's not as convenient as sending a letter.

I actually agree with you, except they should combine all the games into the friend code the Wii has.

If games on the Wii were allowed to work through the Wii friend code instead of needing a new one, then I think it is even better than using gamertags etc.

With the codes you only enter them once so remembering it is not important, but you can also name the person you swapped codes with yourself so you don't have to remember which gamertag is connected to which game (In Mario Kart for instance I am having to remember which Mii corresponds with which VGChartz user)

omgwtfbbq said:
Sky Render said:
You've totally missed the point. Just having the feature encourages abuse of it. And seeing as the only people who would be using it would be the people who would be abusing it (as nobody else would WANT to use it thanks to those abusers), why include it at all? Simply to pander to a handful of people whose idea of entertainment is belittling others and behaving like schoolyard bullies? I fail to see how that is in any way, shape, or form a good business model.

I don't understand the problem here.

One single friend code for all games
Voice chat with friends only

These two solutions are simple for Nintendo to do. They could have done it long ago. It would not have caused any issues with parents thinking their kids are going to have contact with paedophiles. But they just haven't done them.

Why not? I don't know. But this is Nintendo's problem. They have the ability to make something fantastic, but they just don't. These aren't the only examples. Why is there no system wide Wii remote calibration? The Wii remote pointing could have ebeen so much better.

That is exactly what I want.... and to be honest the only improvements Nintendo need to make to their online structure (any other improvements would be game specific)
I am not sure if it is possible though now that all these games have already got their own codes.

TWRoO said:

bdbdbd said:
Godot said:
Sky Render said:
You view it from the wrong end of the spectrum, xenophon13. Nintendo does not wish to pander solely to the desires of a very rigid market; that's what Sony and Microsoft have done with their online, and it's not doing them any good. Nintendo's goal is to bring people reluctant to go into the online world, online. To do that, there is a need to pander to their insecurities: the lack of voice chat to prevent discouragement from trash-talking, the Friend Codes to make them feel secure in knowing who they're playing with, the pre-coded friendly messages to allow for civil conversation... That is appealing to a broader demographic. Giving options which allow for uncivilized behavior, on the other hand, is not.

I agree with everything you said but it wouldn't be that much different if they used usernames instead of friend codes. Sure, it would be more complicated the first time as it is likely that all the cool usernames would be taken but I don't think people would feel less secure if they are playing with their friends "Sky Render" or "Godot" instead of some random numbers. That said, I don't care much about friend codes as it's a huge inconvenience anyway.

It took some time for me to post the last post... You just mentioned yourself, that what's so great about friendcodes. It's a huge inconvience to figure out a nickname for yourself, which you may not even like, but it happened to be the 25th best choice, since all 24 before the one were taken. You see, when you have a friendcode you don't need to spend any time figuring out what nickname to use, or have a tricky "registration process", the friend codes equals using a phone, which i don't see anyone to complain, that it's not as convenient as sending a letter.

I actually agree with you, except they should combine all the games into the friend code the Wii has.

If games on the Wii were allowed to work through the Wii friend code instead of needing a new one, then I think it is even better than using gamertags etc.

With the codes you only enter them once so remembering it is not important, but you can also name the person you swapped codes with yourself so you don't have to remember which gamertag is connected to which game (In Mario Kart for instance I am having to remember which Mii corresponds with which VGChartz user)

You can send the friend request for your friends in your message board. Like i did with Rol for Mario Kart. Started the game, chose the option in Mario Kart channel and i sent the request to Rol.
The problem is, that there's room only for 100 friends. If you have 10 games, each with 10 different friends, there's no problem, but going over the ten, you start needing game specific friend codes.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

The real problem that I'm seeing here is that every time someone offers a solution to Nintendo's supposed online problems they always end up trying to make the current model operate closer to the PC online model that they're accustomed to,a model that Nintendo is clearly trying to separate itself from.The HD consoles that are following the PC/movie models are currently losing so I don't think Nintendo should be copying them.
      Realistically I think that not a person here on this forum can give Nintendo any advice on this matter since all of us are accustomed and stuck to this mindset.
      Nintendo has a plan to do it different and whether we like it or not,currently it's working.When all is done then we can analyze it and see how well these new values are compared to the old ones and see if they really paid off.

This thread should be closed.

Prediction:
Disney will make KH3 with Nintendo.Yes,KH3 will be a Disney/Nintendo crossover.

Save the industry,Kill a Hardcore gamer

Stopped buying Ubisoft games.Will not buy Red Steel 2.Let them struggle on HD. Click here for a solution:CLICK
ALERT: I have also exposed a UBI'Z'OFT viral marketer in THIS thread.Read my posts, see the set up and watch how everything crumbles on page 8. Please learn from this experience.