By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS3 -- 2.40 UPDATE -- In-GAME XMB WITH SOUNDTRACKS CONFIRMED!!!!!!!!!

Kasz216 said:
bbsin said:
Wel, MGS4 users can already have custom soundtracks in the game so.... maybe Sony already gave those tools to the developers?

Really? Wonder what they had to pay Microsoft for that.

Last I heard Microsoft held the exclusive patent for that feature. Hence why 360 SVR games have been the only ones to have said feature.

What's SVR? And didn't Burnout and MLB 08 have custom soundtracks? I know Microsoft has a patent of some kind, so either Sony found a loophole or Sony is doing Custom Soundtracks a different way than specified in the patent or Sony is paying Microsoft.

Around the Network

Seeing as none of these features are needed to play video games I think it's great it's coming whenever it comes. It'll be nice if sony confirmed this though. Either way june is right around the corner so we shall see.

Kasz216 said:

Hence why 360 SVR games have been the only ones to have said feature.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/862/862440p8.html

IGN: Also real quick, too, I know last year on the core SKU, there was a little set of differences between PS3 and 360 -- namely that 360 could import its own music and then PS3 had the first-person mode. Are we going to see more of a crossover there? Are PS3 people going to be able to take music off their hard drives this year?

Ledesma: Yes, we are planning on the ability to rip music for the PS3 and offer that for created entrances. That option will be available. The reason that it we didn't do it last year was simply because the Sony libraries weren't ready for us to do it. It wasn't because we have something against the PS3 owners or being selfish for the Xbox owners. It was just simply a matter of not being able to do it. So, this year, we're really excited that those libraries are available and able to offer that feature.

Don't know if his reason for last year is just BS-ing or what but who cares, we should get 'em this year. 

I hope developers have some kind of control over the custom sound tracks. Like, it would be cool if the custom music paused when a car crashes in the next Burnout game.

Awesome news! I can't wait.

And although it's late....circa 2005 comparably...I'll not utter a complaint or stealth troll.

The ps3's OS may be "behind," but it has its own strengths that more than make up for it--blu-ray, upscaling dvd's and ps2 games, Internet Browser (which I'm using from my ps3 right now as I type this with my DS3 while on my treadmill :), remote play with my psp, among other things.

So yes, late...but still a great upgrade to complement its other Home Media capabilities.

PSN ID: Sorrow880

Gamertag: Sorrow80

Wii #: 8132 1076 3416 7450

Around the Network

With in game friends list and custom soundtracks the PS3 has caught up with the 360 dashboard. Or is there some great thing the 360 has that i'm not aware of. Once that's in it will have everything I need or want. Well, support for mkv video files would be nice. But that's about it.

Burnout doesn't have custom soundtracks yet but the next Burnout update will include it, cagney I think it's called. It's on the criterion website if you want to check it out.

Didn't sony say quite a while ago 2.40 would be out in the summer and include in game xmb?

Yes

Is it true?

yea i dont get how this confirms anything, i would like to believe it though, considering it would be a very different gaming experience

FilaBrasileiro said:
Kasz216 said:
bbsin said:
Wel, MGS4 users can already have custom soundtracks in the game so.... maybe Sony already gave those tools to the developers?

Last I heard Microsoft held the exclusive patent for that feature. Hence why 360 SVR games have been the only ones to have said feature.

What's SVR? And didn't Burnout and MLB 08 have custom soundtracks? I know Microsoft has a patent of some kind, so either Sony found a loophole or Sony is doing Custom Soundtracks a different way than specified in the patent or Sony is paying Microsoft.

endless ocean on wii has custom soundtracks as well...don't know how M$ can patent that process...it's just streaming music from a hard drive (or SD card in the case of the Wii).

windbane said:
FilaBrasileiro said:
Kasz216 said:
bbsin said:

endless ocean on wii has custom soundtracks as well...don't know how M$ can patent that process...it's just streaming music from a hard drive (or SD card in the case of the Wii).

That's exactly what they did from what i remember.  The patented the process to "Stream music from a harddrive to play the music ingame for videogame consoles."

Or something like that.