Forums - Sony Discussion - Stringer: PS3 No Longer On "Life Support"

Nintendo Zealot said:

Fact: PS2 is making Profit

Proof: They would stop producing it if it didn't make profit

Fact: Sony makes money off of game sales

Guess: PSP makes money

Fact: Sony Gaming Division lost money last quarter

The only logical explination is PS3 hardware is loosing money 

Yeah but lesser Ps2 sales and Lesser game sales and lesser peripheral sales = less profit.

The profitability of the Ps2/Psp was speculation to begin with

Couldn't it be at all possible that the amount Ps2/Psp was making profit with could have been off?

After all we never had solid numbers backing up the amount Ps2/PSP were making per console. We just assumed they were making a certain amount (which might have been less) and then we assumed the Ps3 was lsing a certain amount (which could be less)

All in all its just speculation

Around the Network
Noobie said:
HappySqurriel said:

What he probably means is:

Combined Revenues from PS3 >= Combined Expenses from PS3

The doesn't mean that they're even close to breaking even on the PS3 hardware; if you look at the fact that (in Europe) they're averaging 5 games sold every week for every PS3 it implies that they're still losing quite a bit of money per system.

i didn't say that they r breaking even... i just said that PS3 ecosystem is self sustaining... ecosystem means including games revenues, blu-ray revenue etc.

I might be wrong but I don't think Blu Ray revenues would go to the gaming division...

FilaBrasileiro said:
Noobie said:
HappySqurriel said:

What he probably means is:

Combined Revenues from PS3 >= Combined Expenses from PS3

The doesn't mean that they're even close to breaking even on the PS3 hardware; if you look at the fact that (in Europe) they're averaging 5 games sold every week for every PS3 it implies that they're still losing quite a bit of money per system.

i didn't say that they r breaking even... i just said that PS3 ecosystem is self sustaining... ecosystem means including games revenues, blu-ray revenue etc.

I might be wrong but I don't think Blu Ray revenues would go to the gaming division...

Yeah i agree i might be wrong.. but then its make this feat even more impressive... 

Def the Ps3, but I am curious does anyone know roughly the margin of profit on the PS2 or PSP?

Ssyn said:
Def the Ps3, but I am curious does anyone know roughly the margin of profit on the PS2 or PSP?

Purely speculation. No one knows. Hence why people cant say how much the Ps3 is losing. People also don't know what Sony is spending money on (if anything) which is another reason people cant say how much Ps3 is losing. They just like to speculate and paint it in a bad way.

Around the Network
colonelstubbs said:
Naraku_Diabolos said:
mike_intellivision said:
@Rock_on

It should be interesting to see the MGS4 boost -- especially since the GTA IV boost was minimal. Since this is a single-console exclusive game and has special console versions coming out, there probably will be some spike in sales. The questions are how much and for how long.

Mike from Morgantown

Who said MGSIV will boost the PS3 sales? People who already have the PS3 had MGS and FF in their mind, so I bet it WILL BE small like what GTAIV did. The only hardware boost when GTAIV came out was the Wii, and quite frankly, that was hilarious considering GTAIV wasn't on the Wii to begin with XD Oh, and the boost you may be talking about with the PS3 will only be the bundled SKU.

Are you forgetting the huge number of pre-ordered bundles there sonny?

And the number is???

By me:

Made with Blender + LuxRender
"Since you can´t understand ... there is no point to taking you seriously."
Shameless said:
colonelstubbs said:
All these doomsayers...'life support!!!'

What a load of tosh

It's from a Sony employee. It sounds like he has a lot more perspective than you do.

If I were a Sony employee, I would never admit my product has ever been on "life support". You always need some sort of spin when you talk about your company.

How many cups of darkness have I drank over the years? Even I don't know...