By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Stringer: PS3 No Longer On "Life Support"

I doubt blu-ray revenue would be included in the PS3 ecosystem. Its scope is much larger.

As for having more PS3 revenue than expenses, I don't buy it. They lost money last quarter even after including all of the profit from the PS2 and PSP. So until next quarter's financials, that's the only definitive proof we have of the health of the Sony gaming division in general, and the PS3 in particular.

Around the Network
rocketpig said:
PooperScooper said:
rocketpig said:
It doesn't make much sense to translate this statement into "PS3 is now breaking even or turning profit". That's not what Stringer meant.

Sony turned a somewhat significant loss in the last quarter. With an obviously profitable PSP and PS2, it has to be the PS3 that is dragging them into the red.

I think this is a sign that Sony is now seeing a path to profitability and that they're confident in current sales trends, nothing more.

It doesn't have to be anything. That is purly speculation on your part. They could have spent money on things we don't even know about.

Lets wait till July to see Q1 financials.

(*PSST* I'm saying Sony could have pulled a MS and put their spendings in the last quarter of a bad year to make up comming quaters look more profitable)

What else could possibly be dragging them into the red?

They list hardware units manufactured, total sales, almost everything that could constitute a loss to the tune of $280m. On top of that loss, you have to factor in the profits from the PS2 and PSP.

There's absolutely no way those losses are coming from anything other than the PS3, unless they have a super top-secret project in the works that costs them ~$500m a quarter (which would basically have to mean a new console or PSP).

Let's just call that... Unlikely.

Exactly. 

rocketpig said:
PooperScooper said:
rocketpig said:
It doesn't make much sense to translate this statement into "PS3 is now breaking even or turning profit". That's not what Stringer meant.

Sony turned a somewhat significant loss in the last quarter. With an obviously profitable PSP and PS2, it has to be the PS3 that is dragging them into the red.

I think this is a sign that Sony is now seeing a path to profitability and that they're confident in current sales trends, nothing more.

It doesn't have to be anything. That is purly speculation on your part. They could have spent money on things we don't even know about.

(*PSST* I'm saying Sony could have pulled a MS and put their spendings in the last quarter of a bad year to make up comming quaters look more profitable)

They list hardware units manufactured, total sales, almost everything that could constitute a loss to the tune of $280m. On top of that loss, you have to factor in the profits from the PS2 and PSP.

There's absolutely no way those losses are coming from anything other than the PS3, unless they have a super top-secret project in the works that costs them ~$500m a quarter (which would basically have to mean a new console or PSP).

Ill ask you what I asked whatever

Got a break down of Sony Corps P and L's?

No? then it's speculation.

What profits is Ps2 getting?

I'll tell you they aren't selling as many Ps2 as they did for christmas

They didn't sell as many Ps2 games

They didnt sell as many memory cards

they didn't sell as many controllers....

See where I'm getting at?

You think the Ps2 profits are being dragged down by the Ps3 but look at how petty the Ps2 really is doing. If Ps2 still had good support and strong sales then Id agree

The Ps2 is not nearly making as much money as they did.

I think a new PSP is really forthcoming.

It'll be four years this December, and I'd bet money that the next PSP is already in the works, to come out early next year.

PooperScooper said:
rocketpig said:
PooperScooper said:
rocketpig said:

You think the Ps2 profits are being dragged down by the Ps3 but look at how petty the Ps2 really is doing. If Ps2 still had good support and strong sales then Id agree

Here we go again. 

Around the Network
PooperScooper said:
rocketpig said:
PooperScooper said:
rocketpig said:

They aren't selling as many PS2 as before, but they certainly aren't LOSING money.  They are selling alot more PSPs and these aren't losing money at this point in its lifetime.

So using common sense, the loses are either due to the PS3 or some other super duper secret project that no one knows about.

Most of us would seem to agree its the PS3, but you are free to disagree.

PooperScooper said:
rocketpig said:
PooperScooper said:
rocketpig said:

Go ahead and live in your dream world where controllers, memory cards, PS2 games, and lower PS2 sales somehow constitute a $280m loss.

BTW, Sony makes money on every one of those units, they don't lose money. Sell zero, make zero. You still haven't come up with a rational explanation that would cover $300m in hidden losses.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

i think by the end of 08 ps3 will be $325, that would move a lot

rocketpig said:
PooperScooper said:
rocketpig said:
PooperScooper said:
rocketpig said:

Go ahead and live in your dream world where controllers, memory cards, PS2 games, and lower PS2 sales somehow constitute a $280m loss.

BTW, Sony makes money on every one of those units, not loses money. Sell zero, make zero. You still haven't come up with a rational explanation that would cover $300m in hidden losses. 

Fact remains you don't know the inner workings of Sony.

They could be in a major Ps3/PsP/Ps4 redesign/study right now.

Untill you provide me with proof that the expenses was from the Ps3 I'll stick it to ya.

Yes, they're about to redesign the PSP when it's at its height in sales and they're already dumping hundreds of millions into the redesign of a 1 1/2 year old console with a highly-touted 10 year life cycle.

You can go ahead and say whatever you like, I'll just sit back down here in reality and enjoy my stay.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/