By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Stringer: PS3 No Longer On "Life Support"

rocketpig said:
Yes, they're about to redesign the PSP when it's at its height in sales and they're already dumping hundreds of millions into the redesign of a 1 1/2 year old console with a highly-touted 10 year life cycle.

You can go ahead and say whatever you like, I'll just sit back down here in reality and enjoy my stay.

You don't know if they are working on a way to stop piracy. That would be a redesign wouldnt it?

Also you said something about the Ps2 and making sales and not losing money...

But if the Ps2 was never making as much money as people speculated in the first place...

Around the Network
mike_intellivision said:
@Rock_on

It should be interesting to see the MGS4 boost -- especially since the GTA IV boost was minimal. Since this is a single-console exclusive game and has special console versions coming out, there probably will be some spike in sales. The questions are how much and for how long.

Mike from Morgantown

Who said MGSIV will boost the PS3 sales? People who already have the PS3 had MGS and FF in their mind, so I bet it WILL BE small like what GTAIV did. The only hardware boost when GTAIV came out was the Wii, and quite frankly, that was hilarious considering GTAIV wasn't on the Wii to begin with XD Oh, and the boost you may be talking about with the PS3 will only be the bundled SKU.

PooperScooper said:
rocketpig said:

Go ahead and live in your dream world where controllers, memory cards, PS2 games, and lower PS2 sales somehow constitute a $280m loss.

BTW, Sony makes money on every one of those units, not loses money. Sell zero, make zero. You still haven't come up with a rational explanation that would cover $300m in hidden losses. 

Fact remains you don't know the inner workings of Sony.

They could be in a major Ps3/PsP/Ps4 redesign/study right now.

Untill you provide me with proof that the expenses was from the Ps3 I'll stick it to ya.

Forget it rocketpig, logic doesn't work here.  Since none of us have the information about Sony's inner workings, he seems to think that we can't make reasonable assumptions or that all assumptions are considered equal.

He also seems to think he's "sticking it to us".  When actually, he's only making himself look less credible with each post.

PooperScooper said:
rocketpig said:
Yes, they're about to redesign the PSP when it's at its height in sales and they're already dumping hundreds of millions into the redesign of a 1 1/2 year old console with a highly-touted 10 year life cycle.

You can go ahead and say whatever you like, I'll just sit back down here in reality and enjoy my stay.

You don't know if they are working on a way to stop piracy. That would be a redesign wouldnt it?

Not a $300m one. Besides, Blu-ray copy protection would fall under the BD group, not SCE.

As for the PSP, it's not even four years old yet. No way are they on track to spend $1b/year for the next 18-24 months working up a new portable with a five year lifespan. 

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

rocketpig said:
PooperScooper said:
rocketpig said:

Not a $300m one. Besides, Blu-ray copy protection would fall under the BD group, not SCE.

I was talking about Psp not ps3

Around the Network
PooperScooper said:
rocketpig said:
PooperScooper said:
rocketpig said:
It doesn't make much sense to translate this statement into "PS3 is now breaking even or turning profit". That's not what Stringer meant.

Sony turned a somewhat significant loss in the last quarter. With an obviously profitable PSP and PS2, it has to be the PS3 that is dragging them into the red.

I think this is a sign that Sony is now seeing a path to profitability and that they're confident in current sales trends, nothing more.

It doesn't have to be anything. That is purly speculation on your part. They could have spent money on things we don't even know about.

Lets wait till July to see Q1 financials.

(*PSST* I'm saying Sony could have pulled a MS and put their spendings in the last quarter of a bad year to make up comming quaters look more profitable)

What else could possibly be dragging them into the red?

They list hardware units manufactured, total sales, almost everything that could constitute a loss to the tune of $280m. On top of that loss, you have to factor in the profits from the PS2 and PSP.

There's absolutely no way those losses are coming from anything other than the PS3, unless they have a super top-secret project in the works that costs them ~$500m a quarter (which would basically have to mean a new console or PSP).

Let's just call that... Unlikely.

Ill ask you what I asked whatever

Got a break down of Sony Corps P and L's?

No? then it's speculation.

What profits is Ps2 getting?

I'll tell you they aren't selling as many Ps2 as they did for christmas

They didn't sell as many Ps2 games

They didnt sell as many memory cards

they didn't sell as many controllers....

See where I'm getting at?

You think the Ps2 profits are being dragged down by the Ps3 but look at how petty the Ps2 really is doing. If Ps2 still had good support and strong sales then Id agree

The Ps2 is not nearly making as much money as they did.

Fact: PS2 is making Profit

Proof: They would stop producing it if it didn't make profit

Fact: Sony makes money off of game sales

Guess: PSP makes money

Fact: Sony Gaming Division lost money last quarter

The only logical explination is PS3 hardware is loosing money 

^Guy pissing on Microsoft Sign

UBISOFT BOYCOTT

PooperScooper said:
rocketpig said:
PooperScooper said:
rocketpig said:

I was talking about Psp not ps3

Edited my post but the same thing applies. No way are we talking $300+ million in a quarter for the PSP.

This isn't rocket science. Simple math makes it pretty obvious what is going on in SCE. 

whatever said:
PooperScooper said:
rocketpig said:

Go ahead and live in your dream world where controllers, memory cards, PS2 games, and lower PS2 sales somehow constitute a $280m loss.

BTW, Sony makes money on every one of those units, not loses money. Sell zero, make zero. You still haven't come up with a rational explanation that would cover $300m in hidden losses. 

Fact remains you don't know the inner workings of Sony.

They could be in a major Ps3/PsP/Ps4 redesign/study right now.

Untill you provide me with proof that the expenses was from the Ps3 I'll stick it to ya.

Forget it rocketpig, logic doesn't work here.  Since none of us have the information about Sony's inner workings, he seems to think that we can't make reasonable assumptions or that all assumptions are considered equal.

He also seems to think he's "sticking it to us".  When actually, he's only making himself look less credible with each post.

Thanks for proving my point that you are just assuming you know where the money is going and how much Ps2 is making and the Ps3 is losing.

Pooper, you are certainly living up to your name.

It's like arguing evolution with a creationist. You can't prove it so therefore it does not exist.

Naraku_Diabolos said:
mike_intellivision said:
@Rock_on

It should be interesting to see the MGS4 boost -- especially since the GTA IV boost was minimal. Since this is a single-console exclusive game and has special console versions coming out, there probably will be some spike in sales. The questions are how much and for how long.

Mike from Morgantown

Who said MGSIV will boost the PS3 sales? People who already have the PS3 had MGS and FF in their mind, so I bet it WILL BE small like what GTAIV did. The only hardware boost when GTAIV came out was the Wii, and quite frankly, that was hilarious considering GTAIV wasn't on the Wii to begin with XD Oh, and the boost you may be talking about with the PS3 will only be the bundled SKU.

Are you forgetting the huge number of pre-ordered bundles there sonny?

I hope my 360 doesn't RRoD
         "Suck my balls!" - Tag courtesy of Fkusmot