By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - So is it safe to say that Wii won the console war this gen?

--OkeyDokey-- said:

It's just that it has like two decent looking games coming out for the rest of the year.

i woulda expected that you knew that the titles won't be announced until E3...Nintendo doesn't announce titles early like Sony/MS...

Bets:Missed by 420k I bet leo-j vg$500 that wii will sell 31 million by 7/31/08.  Sorry, I don't think he has enough vg$ to make it with all of u that wish you could. Hit, with room to spare I bet kingofwale a 1-week ban that wii Americas ltd sales>360 Americas ltd sales as of the numbers for week ending 7/05/08 (using vgchartz homepage #s)

Predictions:

Wii will sell 18-20mil by 12/31/07  CHECKWii will sell 45mil+ WW by 12/31/08Wii will surpass PS2 sales WW by 11/17/11 (5yr anniversary)Wii Fit will hit 12mil sales in 2009MKWii+SSBB+Wii Fit+SMG > 50 mil sales by 2010 > gta4+mgs+gt5+ff13+haze+lbp
Around the Network
colonelstubbs said:
The only people who dont think the wii has won are those who dont see it as a true competitor in this generation.

Which is sheer lunacy to be honest

The Wii has had a good start but the PS3 will mount a huge comeback win. PS3 10 year life plan. Who said it was over. The console war is only 18 months old.

Hey ocelot, I can't wait for Sony and Microsoft to go belly up like the greedy gold fish they are.

I'm Unamerica and you can too.

The Official Huge Monster Hunter Thread: 

The Hunt Begins 4/20/2010 =D

Rock_on_2008 said:
colonelstubbs said:
The only people who dont think the wii has won are those who dont see it as a true competitor in this generation.

Which is sheer lunacy to be honest

The Wii has had a good start but the PS3 will mount a huge comeback win. PS3 10 year life plan. Who said it was over. The console war is only 18 months old.

Hey Rock, we the consumers decide if PS3 lasts 10 years, not Sony.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

I've been saying it since early last year.

Around the Network
darthdevidem01 said:
@Killergran

he obviously means Wii = inferior = last gen

Oh. Ok.

And I think a lot of people have still not understood Nintendos strategy.

To say that Nintendo will soon come out with a console more powerful than the PS3 is just insane. The current nintendo strategy is to NOT make gaming about graphics. The new value is INTERFACE. How people interact with a game. The reason they are doing this is because if you're going for graphics, you compete on the same grounds as MS&Sony. And lets face it, graphics is NOT the most important aspect of a game.

By changing the values they compete with, they have effectivly created a spot for themselves where they have no competetion. Sony and MS consoles are HD consoles. HD implies that it focuses on graphics, and a movie-like experience. PS360 is bigger, stronger and better. Noone would buy a PS3 for 'casual gaming'. The image is wrong.  The biggest games for these consoles are instead movie-like experiences (bigger, stronger, better), with over-the-top graphics, but no news when it comes to the way we interact with the game. These games sell to a crowd of young males. They have very little appeal to people outside of this demographic.

Since the entire culture and image of PS360 is Bigger, better, stronger, the companies starts to think this way. If you ask them how to make a succesful game I am sure they (or at least most) would respond with something like 'You need a big budget, so you can hire actors, great designers etc, great graphics, story and gameplay elements. The key is to make an immersive experience' or somesuch. They will probably also throw around words like details, freedom, cooperation, multiplayer (internet) as to features needed in the game. (MGS4, GTAIV, K2, R2, not to mention all games already released)

If you ask someone at Nintendo, the answer would most likely differ enormously. Something along the lines of 'A game that anyone can have fun with. Controls need to be intuative, and immersion should come from the way you interact with the game.' (I'm pretty new at this strategy myself, so it's a bit hard to put in words).

The entire nintendo library therefore is built on new ways to interact. Any 'casual' gamer faced with the choice of buying either a PS360 or a Wii has an easy choice. As a result, PS360 might try to capture the 'casual' market, but will face extreme difficulties in doing so.

As you understand what the Nintendo strategy is, you can see the reason behind every move nintendo has done with the Wii. Wii Fit for example, is a direct result of nintendo approaching gaming in an entirely different way. Wii Fit could never have been born within Sony or Microsoft.

Also, we're back to Wii as a fad, the main reason stated for why the Wii sales will soon drop. Fact is that the new Nintendo values are permeating the market, and have been since the release of the DS. This will not stop, for the same reasons people would not want to go back to the +-controller or the joystick before that (It provides less control, is less immersive, and alienating to new consumers). The 'hardcore' gamers will naturally stay with the HD consoles, at least this generation, but Nintendo will catch all or almost all of the new customers. 

PS360 might be the next gen, but Wii is the new gen.

And yes, I have been stealing most of these thoughts from Malstrom.

This is invisible text!

I have it on good authority* that the "console wars" will not be decided until one console reaches 100 million, so no, the Wii obviously hasn't "won" yet.

*Shane Kim. He's good authority. Right?

If the PS360 were to somehow upset the lead the Wii has, it would be the biggest upset in the history of gaming, ever, due to how immensely unlikely it would be.

"I mean, c'mon, Viva Pinata, a game with massive marketing, didn't sell worth a damn to the "sophisticated" 360 audience, despite near-universal praise--is that a sign that 360 owners are a bunch of casual ignoramuses that can't get their heads around a 'gardening' sim? Of course not. So let's please stop trying to micro-analyze one game out of hundreds and using it as the poster child for why good, non-1st party, games can't sell on Wii. (Everyone frequenting this site knows this is nonsense, and yet some of you just can't let it go because it's the only scab you have left to pick at after all your other "Wii will phail1!!1" straw men arguments have been put to the torch.)" - exindguy on Boom Blocks

@noname

Pachter sais we should listen to Shane Kim and Shane sais we should listen to Pachter.

I'm Unamerica and you can too.

The Official Huge Monster Hunter Thread: 

The Hunt Begins 4/20/2010 =D

loadedstatement said:
Well unless things drastically change, the Wii looks like the winner. The PS3 has been picking up in sales. I wouldnt brush it off.

The PS3's sales aren't picking up anywhere near enough to catch up to the Wii.  Month-to-month, they barely manage to catch up to the Xbox360, and the Xbox360 has had more months outselling the PS3 than the other way around.  Not to forget that many 3rd party companies dropped a lot of PS3 support, or PS3 exclusivity (leading to an infamous GameSpot article where Sony "pleaded" with third party companies not to give up on the system), meaning that in the coming months and year, the PS3 will continue to have the fewest exclusive titles, and the smallest 3rd party support.  Worse, multi-platform titles sell better on the Xbox360 because too many people are buying PS3's for a Blu-Ray player rather than a gaming machine.  I wouldn't be surprised if the slight upswing in PS3 sales was entirely due to Blu-Ray essentially winning the HD war.  It's questionable if that Blu-Ray-fueled improvement (if indeed the cause of slightly increased sales) could continue with enough strength to actually push the PS3 well over the Xbox360.  As of now, the only place that the PS3 is totally outselling any other current-gen system is Japan where it outsells the Xbox360 to no one's surprise.

I don't mean to be "down" on the PS3, but it lost too much steam too fast and MGS4 and FFXIII probably won't be enough to save it.  Especially when it's supposed killer apps (Lair, Heavenly Sword, Haze, Uncharted) continue to receive lackluster reviews and/or poor sales.