By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Is the sales of North America becoming more like Japan?

MontanaHatchet said:

The U.S. can have off weeks just like every territory, really. This wasn't so much an off week as a Nintendomination week. The only big release I can even think of this week on the HD consoles is Haze, and poor rated games aimed at the hardcore crowd usually do very poorly.

As the Wii Fit hype gets to sane levels and the Metal Gear Solid 4 hype kicks in, we should start seeing more balanced sales.

Didn't some say the same thing when GTAIV was coming out? Something to the tune of "GTAIV sales will kill the Wii". I think by now we shouldn't make any assumptions that any game release will lead to more balanced sales. Nintendo is sneaky and stockpiles Wii's for such occaisions.

Around the Network
Zucas said:
Well the US has been the biggest market, normally at about 50% of all sales, but Europe/Other is about to break open. With China, South Korea, India, and Russia all starting to get big in console and handheld gaming it's about to explode. Especially what DS in particular is doing in those markets. Soon Europe/Other could be around 60% of the market, with USA bout 35% and Japan a mere 5%.

I mean we have the seperate markets as they are because at one point Japan used to be about 20% of the market, the second biggest single country market. USA was about 60% and the rest of the world the last 20%. But slowly that's changed til where now Japan is only 10%, USA is 50%, and Europe/Other is 40%. And it's still changing because finally the populations are starting to even out. Japan and USA will always have a better precentage of players but the rest of the world's popular is huge compared to those 2 countries and we'll see that happening.

You can thank the DS and PS2 for that haha.
Do you mean that there are new Ninty HQ in those areas you mentioned? Because even South East Asia people can buy Wiis, the problem was its more of third parties, not licensed by Ninty itself only import goods. Do you mean that most of Europe and in other countries aside america and Japan that can buy licensed Ninty products without in sort of importing? 

end of core gaming days prediction:

E3 2006-The beginning of the end. Wii introduced

E3 2008- Armageddon. Wii motion plus introduced. Wii Music. Reggie says Animal crossing was a core game. Massive disappointment. many Wii core gamers selling their Wii.

E3 2010- Tape runs out

http://www.fivedoves.com/letters/march2009/ICG_Tape_runs_out.jpg

I don't quite know what you are trying to ask.  All I know is that officially markets such as India and China, Wii has yet to be released.  Now imports is another story, which is probably a very small market percentage wise.  Does that answer your question.

colonelstubbs said:
PS3 sales will pick up in a couple of weeks....i forget why tho...

maybe cause of a little game called metal gear solid 4

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

Well China and South korea was confirmed, India and Russia was just another. When did India and Russsia came into picture? I never heard a news about it.

end of core gaming days prediction:

E3 2006-The beginning of the end. Wii introduced

E3 2008- Armageddon. Wii motion plus introduced. Wii Music. Reggie says Animal crossing was a core game. Massive disappointment. many Wii core gamers selling their Wii.

E3 2010- Tape runs out

http://www.fivedoves.com/letters/march2009/ICG_Tape_runs_out.jpg

Around the Network
brute said:
colonelstubbs said:
PS3 sales will pick up in a couple of weeks....i forget why tho...

maybe cause of a little game called metal gear solid 4

there you go! it was on the tip of my tongue....

I hope my 360 doesn't RRoD
         "Suck my balls!" - Tag courtesy of Fkusmot

FishyJoe said:
MontanaHatchet said:

The U.S. can have off weeks just like every territory, really. This wasn't so much an off week as a Nintendomination week. The only big release I can even think of this week on the HD consoles is Haze, and poor rated games aimed at the hardcore crowd usually do very poorly.

As the Wii Fit hype gets to sane levels and the Metal Gear Solid 4 hype kicks in, we should start seeing more balanced sales.

Didn't some say the same thing when GTAIV was coming out? Something to the tune of "GTAIV sales will kill the Wii". I think by now we shouldn't make any assumptions that any game release will lead to more balanced sales. Nintendo is sneaky and stockpiles Wii's for such occaisions.

It's still weird that they shipped 50% more Wii for Mario kart release than for the Wii Fit one ( considering how much more advertising they are doing around Wii Fit).

Mario Kart release week had 420k Wii.

Wii Fit week has 280k Wii...

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !

yushire said:
Well China and South korea was confirmed, India and Russia was just another. When did India and Russsia came into picture? I never heard a news about it.

Pretty sure Wii has already released in Russia.  

But this has nothign to do what I was even talking about so I don't know where you are trying to go with this.  My post was about the expanding market of Europe/Other which is logical considering its combined population is far great than the US and Japan.

Ail said:
FishyJoe said:
MontanaHatchet said:

It's still weird that they shipped 50% more Wii for Mario kart release than for the Wii Fit one ( considering how much more advertising they are doing around Wii Fit).

Slap yourself in the face right now.  That's a duh kind of answer.  Why did they ship more on MK Wii week over Wii Fit week?  Well duh GTA IV released on MK Wii week as well.  Nintendo isn't going to sit back and let PS3 and 360 take anything away from them.  This is why MK Wii released on that week and why more Wiis were shipped.  Steal the thunder, and looking at NPD sales, I'd say they won.   

Ail said:
FishyJoe said:
MontanaHatchet said:

Not weird, tactical. They were out to steal GTAIVs thunder and IMO they did that.